PDA

View Full Version : What's in your garden?

Kenn
11-Dec-07, 23:36
Was watching the garden whilst having my first cuppa today and was delighted to see, 5 Goldfinches, 1 Wren, 1 Robin, 5 Blackbirds,2 Ringed Doves,3 Starlings and of course the resident house sparrows of which I lose count!
Pied Wagtails wandering down the road along with a couple of Magpies and the obligatory squabbling Herring Gulls.
Some mornings are worth waking up for.

karia
12-Dec-07, 20:18
Hi Lizz,

Our garden is very lively!

2 families of blackbirds and 2 robins, lots of sparrows, starlings, bluetits, green finches, bull finches and (my personal favourites)..coal tits darting back and forth at tremendous speed.

2 collared doves and a wee wren who is quite shy!

The robins will only use the bird feeder if no-one is looking as they are rubbish at keeping their balance.:lol:

I envy you the bright flash of the goldfinch, especially at this time of year!:D

trix
13-Dec-07, 00:32
ats one thing i do love aboot e darker mornins...cos o far i live, i hev a whole lot o scorries goin aboot.

its a nitemare comin off a niteshift in e summer, ther all oot - gawk gawk, gawk, gawk gawk...times at by aboot a hundred...for ages...an really loud...!! :mad:

its no even consistent that ye cin get used til it.

tho, it is nice in e summer. iv got a robin that goes aboot e plyce an i see him all year roond. he's called frank :D

iv got bird food oot an see lots o different birds but sadly da ken any o their names, but i do love til watch them for ages, all flyin aboot an at...

Kenn
13-Dec-07, 01:46
That's GREAT Trix, keep watching our 2 legged feathered friends are amazing and even if you don't know their names they will keep you entertained.

Kenn
30-Dec-07, 16:26
Was delighted today to spot a coal tit, quite a natty little dresser.

karia
30-Dec-07, 19:12
Having previously proved unpopular with my garden visitors I am getting lots of takers for niger seeds this winter..but the blue tits won't go near them and have been seen to eat bread sprinkled on the ground in preference , if the other feeders are empty..which I have never known them to do.:confused Especially as next door has cats!

Lots of chaffinches present hoovering up the last of the insect life on the ivy covered wall in a flurry of bright colour and the resident robin looks all 'freshly painted' in that way they do at this time of year.

No quiet nights either..something chirping away at all hours!:)

Lovely.

lynne duncan
07-Jan-08, 23:59
nothing special in ours must ask hughie to plant some hedges, mum has green finches wren, robin, collared doves, blue tits and this last two weeks 2 great tits, thought it was coal tits but checked the books and it is definitely great tits, first time i've seen them at mum's so just sat in the kitchen and bird watched for half an hour, smallest bairn most impressed by their colours

trix
08-Jan-08, 01:40
No quiet nights either..something chirping away at all hours!

Lovely.

sure its no Us, Ak? :Razz:lol:

Kenn
02-Feb-08, 22:44
I am also delighted to say that we have a Great Tit too, have spotted it a few times in the last week.
Best feathered thing this week was a Thrush, they seem to be rarer than hen's teeth down here although Blackbirds are plentiful

twiglet
03-Feb-08, 16:11
Sadly mostly starlings at the moment. We do have a resident pair of blackbirds, a robin, sparrows, mistle thrush, occasional crows and seagulls even risk it.

karia
05-Feb-08, 14:00
Just had the enormous pleasure of watching a Greenfinch at my feeder for a whole 10 minutes......undisturbed!:D

I would have loved to get my camera and capture it's glorious plumage but any movement on my part would have scared it off.:(

Cracking sight to behold.

WeeBurd
05-Feb-08, 17:11
Just had the enormous pleasure of watching a Greenfinch at my feeder for a whole 10 minutes......undisturbed!

I would have loved to get my camera and capture it's glorious plumage but any movement on my part would have scared it off.:(

Cracking sight to behold.

They are gorgeous, aren't they? We frequently have three or four in our feeder/tree at a time, and we're lucky enough to get the wee baby fluffballs in early summer too! I always think they need a daintier beak though, something prettier to go with their pretty colour :D...

karia
05-Feb-08, 19:02
They are gorgeous, aren't they? We frequently have three or four in our feeder/tree at a time, and we're lucky enough to get the wee baby fluffballs in early summer too! I always think they need a daintier beak though, something prettier to go with their pretty colour :D...

Ah Weeburd,

You gave me a wonderful mental image of a jackdaw offering cosmetic surgery...
...'Beaks Bobbed While U wait.':lol:

Kx