PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas ??

painter
11-Dec-07, 20:31
Does anyone have any good suggestions for an Xmas gift for parents in their 70s. would like something unusual,something useful maybe ??

connieb19
11-Dec-07, 20:33
Are they from Caithness?

painter
11-Dec-07, 20:35
No. Manchester

karia
11-Dec-07, 20:45
Give them a holiday in Caithness!;)

starry
11-Dec-07, 20:46
Yes and then you could get them thermals as stocking fillers ;)

What kind of things do they like ?
What about subscription to national trust if they like castles and things like that.

hotrod4
11-Dec-07, 20:48
Why not get them something "local". Something Scottish, tartan scarf,rug etc, or if you have a Scottish name then maybe a Clan present, brooch,kilt pin etc.
Thats something a bit unusual and older generations seem to appreciate that more.
Good luck in your quest :)

lady penelope
11-Dec-07, 21:07
A nice personalised hamper with their favourite foods and possibly a magazine subscription if they like to read. You can tailor it for budget and still make it lovely. If you are not visiting you could order it online:)

karia
11-Dec-07, 21:29
Why not get them something "local". Something Scottish, tartan scarf,rug etc, or if you have a Scottish name then maybe a Clan present, brooch,kilt pin etc.
Thats something a bit unusual and older generations seem to appreciate that more.
Good luck in your quest :)

Painter's not from Caithness either!:confused

karia

painter
11-Dec-07, 21:54
Painter is from Thurso !! Pressie is for the wifes parents.

karia
11-Dec-07, 22:00
Painter is from Thurso !! Pressie is for the wifes parents.

Do they have a Caithness connection apart from their fantabulous son in law?;)

karia

Anne x
11-Dec-07, 22:09
Do they have a Caithness connection apart from their fantabulous son in law?;)

karia

they certainly have that !!! a great son in law

Buy them a tree or shrub !!! failing that a garden seat or a Gnome or a corner nicely shaped fish tank with Goldfish !!!

painter
11-Dec-07, 23:00
lol good answer Anne x

Andrew C
11-Dec-07, 23:22
Digital photo frame with pics of the family, area. They'll think its wonderful

Anne x
12-Dec-07, 00:34

good answer one of the top 100 presents this year comet think it costs about £40 think of all the new family photos you can have in there

Fran
12-Dec-07, 03:27
Plane tickets from Manchester to Wick, subscription to Readers Digest, and the digital phote frame is an excellent idea, i have one. you could put loads of photoes of your family in it for them and music, they would love that, or vouchers for marks and spencers, tesco electric etc

KitKat
12-Dec-07, 03:49
What about something from the Mey Selections range ?

ashaw1
12-Dec-07, 12:27
My grandparents are in this age bracket too and i would go with something that has already been suggested.........a hamper. The mey selections ones can only be ordered on the internet but i prefer to make one up myself, full of local produce. One of my aunties has done something similar in the past and has themed each hamper eg italian, scottish, greek. It is something different and personal.

angela5
12-Dec-07, 12:51
Digital photo frame with family pics and Caithness scenery.:D

grandma
12-Dec-07, 15:36
My grandparents are in this age bracket too and i would go with something that has already been suggested.........a hamper. The mey selections ones can only be ordered on the internet but i prefer to make one up myself, full of local produce. One of my aunties has done something similar in the past and has themed each hamper eg italian, scottish, greek. It is something different and personal.
The Mey selections hamper can be found at Harrold Bros in Wick. I was in this lunch time and had one made up for my Dad's Christmas present. You can choose whatever you want to go in it. I think it's available other places in the county too.

Dman
12-Dec-07, 15:45
why don't you get them a couple of tickets to a christmas show in the Opera house or the palace theatre I know there are some good shows on just now I think that would be a nice treat for xmas.

Ash
12-Dec-07, 15:54
for my OH's parents we got them solar lights, my grandparents i got a name a rose gift pack, which is lovely naming, you can name the rose whatever you want

hell raizer
12-Dec-07, 15:57
my daughter gave me a hamper last christmas, i was delighted with it :D

alanatkie
12-Dec-07, 16:00
Im giving my parents a voucher for solicitors to get a will written - not really unusual well maybe as a gift but it is useful.

ashaw1
12-Dec-07, 22:01
The Mey selections hamper can be found at Harrold Bros in Wick. I was in this lunch time and had one made up for my Dad's Christmas present. You can choose whatever you want to go in it. I think it's available other places in the county too.
I didn't realise this, i phoned Mey Selections this morning and was told they could only be ordered online. They did however advise that the individual items could be purchased.

Julia
13-Dec-07, 17:01

That's an excellent idea! I do believe Santa is bringing me one of those too.

Im giving my parents a voucher for solicitors to get a will written - not really unusual well maybe as a gift but it is useful.

Isn't that a bit ominous?

angela5
13-Dec-07, 19:58

:eek:

Maybe bung in a voucher for a headstone while your at it!:lol:

Valerie Campbell
13-Dec-07, 20:11
Why not treat them to a table for 2 at their favourite restaurant? You could order champagne etc and make it really special for them.

dragonfly
13-Dec-07, 21:22
what about a pair of these each

Yaktrax Walkers Snow & Ice Traction Control Set (http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.431665/walk.yah.UKCO-U090)

keep them safe on their feet this winter :D

karia
13-Dec-07, 21:27
They fall off in deep snow..am still looking for my left one after a white out!

Karia

alanatkie
13-Dec-07, 21:35
Isn't that a bit ominous?

It is a weird gift granted but they have been meaning to change their will for about 10 yrs, since they got married & never have gotten round to it & it is better to be safe than sorry i say.

:eek:Maybe bung in a voucher for a headstone while your at it!:lol:
Nah now that would be pushing it.

karia
13-Dec-07, 21:40
It is a weird gift granted but they have been meaning to change their will for about 10 yrs, since they got married & never have gotten round to it & it is better to be safe than sorry.

How 'will' (s'cuse pun!) you go about wrapping that in a festive way?:confused

karia

angela5
13-Dec-07, 21:56
How 'will' (s'cuse pun!) you go about wrapping that in a festive way?:confused

karia

There is a web site where you can purchase 'photo wrapping paper', nice idea.

Welcomefamily
13-Dec-07, 22:35
If they have a sense of humour, down at the Maplins in Inverness they had a small car race track with two old people in mobility 3 wheelers racing, both have blankets around their knees. My parents are in the same age group, and I known they will find that funny.

bluelady
13-Dec-07, 22:44
As well has a digital frame or in place of, get a really nice frame and do a mosaic picture of the family, area or whatever. Its fun to make, unique and personal and lovingly made by hand from the heart. I made one some years ago and peeps like looking at it when they visit.

karia
13-Dec-07, 22:45
If they have a sense of humour, down at the Maplins in Inverness they had a small car race track with two old people in mobility 3 wheelers racing, both have blankets around their knees. My parents are in the same age group, and I known they will find that funny.

No you don't know that..you just hope you do![lol]

Be very careful with the Christmas dinner if they are cooking.......you might be the one under the blanket!;)

Welcomefamily
13-Dec-07, 23:23
Dont worry Karia if I had even the slightest doubt I would not send it down. I just cant imagine her coming up over berrydale on her motibility scooter waving a great stick screaming blue murder, she would just use the latest model broomstick I sent her for her birthday and fly. :lol::lol: