PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

bob.web
11-Dec-07, 18:00
Has anyone else been told by their ISP that Thurso exchange broadband is so congested BT is limiting broadband to 2.2Mbps. :(

NickInTheNorth
11-Dec-07, 18:13
As far as I am aware that ain't the way that broadband works. BT enable an exchange to a particular speed. Then they have a contention ratio, which basically means the number of people that share a particular bandwidth "pipe" for want of a better description. Often it is 50 to 1. So you have a theoretical maximum speed which will reduce depending on the number of users actually using the connection.

I have no doubt it is theoretically possible that BT could throttle connections, but cannot see any practical benefit to them to do so.

More likely I would have thought your ISP is telling you porkies, or that due to distance from the exchange you may be unable to get the full theoretical speed.

Which ISP told you that, and was that in writing or from a help desk?

bob.web
11-Dec-07, 18:44
My ISP provider is tiscali and distance from exchange is not the problem (I live in thurso).It is not a case of slow broadband as I am being connected at 2.2Mbps according to "Status INfo".

NickInTheNorth
11-Dec-07, 18:48
My ISP provider is tiscali and distance from exchange is not the problem (I live in thurso).It is not a case of slow broadband as I am being connected at 2.2Mbps according to "Status INfo".

Say no more:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/complain.shtml#1

Bobinovich
11-Dec-07, 23:22
I have a client, a BT broadband customer who was moving into Thurso, who was recently told by a BT salesperson that the Thurso exchange had no room for any new broadband subscribers!!! They took the salespersons name and, on his behalf, I contacted BT Wholesale to ask if this was the case.

They denied that Thurso had any such problems and were most perturbed, giving me a direct contact in BT Broadband to call to report the information.

Shortly afterwards the customer was connected to broadband. I'd like to think that the salesperson got a severe rollocking for misleading the customer.

bob.web
12-Dec-07, 23:00
Maybe there is a problem at Thurso exchange then.Have e-mailed BT to see what they say and await a reply (hopefully).