PDA

View Full Version : patties a la robins chippy

honey
10-Dec-07, 17:11
the 2 things i miss most (i mean things and not people!! :lol:) are johnston pies and patties.

I can get pies to make do down here, but no one has ever heard of a pattie..
any ideas how i would make them (properly)

alanatkie
10-Dec-07, 18:04
pattie is mostly tattie with mince. So you will have twice as much mashed tattie as you do mince (in its browened state), mix it all together & make them in to balls once chilled & cover in batter & fry.

Buttercup
10-Dec-07, 18:09
the 2 things i miss most (i mean things and not people!! :lol:) are johnston pies and patties.

I can get pies to make do down here, but no one has ever heard of a pattie..
any ideas how i would make them (properly)

I've made them using leftover (cooked & thickened) mince and tatties. Just mix them together and use a ice-cream scoop to shape them. I then freeze them untill they're needed. Make a thick batter and dip the frozen patties in it before deepfrying.
I know that chip shops used to use left over cooked chips and any leftover meat but be careful of the amount of ham that you add as it tends to dominate everything.

honey
10-Dec-07, 18:14
thank you, i knew it would be quite simple.. but now i feel stoopid!!:lol:

ill certainly be trying it though. when i was pregnant with my youngest, thats what i craved.. i remember getting of the train and rushing to the chippy on one visit!!

honey
25-Mar-08, 21:39
I've made them using leftover (cooked & thickened) mince and tatties. Just mix them together and use a ice-cream scoop to shape them. I then freeze them untill they're needed. Make a thick batter and dip the frozen patties in it before deepfrying.
I know that chip shops used to use left over cooked chips and any leftover meat but be careful of the amount of ham that you add as it tends to dominate everything.

tried this the other day, and the came out like stodge, then it hit me, the freezing part isnt for storing purposes, its to make sure you can cover them in batter properly!! ach well, maybe next time! :lol:

Buttercup
25-Mar-08, 23:01
tried this the other day, and the came out like stodge, then it hit me, the freezing part isnt for storing purposes, its to make sure you can cover them in batter properly!! ach well, maybe next time!
Sorry honey, I should've made that clear. It's strange trying to write down something that you do automatically, you tend to miss out some details. :roll: As you say, if you do it without freezing you end up with a messy gunge and get totally frustrated. [lol]

Kismet
14-May-08, 11:19
LOl thought someone was spilling the recipe for Robins patties there no such luck :) Love them

hotrod4
21-Jul-08, 15:24
I just boil some tatties with an onion(diced) and mince.
I then drain off any excess water and mould into shapes and freeze. To make my batter i use half plain flour half custard powder, its lovely :)