PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day TV nostalgia

scorrie
10-Dec-07, 15:06
I recall the days (mainly the seventies) when you got the Christmas edition of the Radio Times and planned your viewing for the festive season. Often, there would be movies on that you had not seen before. With the advent of video and DVD there now seems to be very little on TV at Christmas that you have not already seen. The classic Christmas specials of Morecambe and Wise and the Two Ronnies are a distant memory now. Only Fools and Horses picked up their mantle for a while but there seems little with the same sort of mileage now.

I had a look around to compare the old offerings with that of today and found this :-

http://www.tvradiobits.co.uk/tellyyears/christmas70s.htm

You can pick your own era from the list. It brought back memories for me and I hope someone else may find something that they recall from days of yore. It is amazing how little TV programming there actually was in the 70's and earlier. It is also apparent that there was a fair bit of tosh back then as well!!

peedie
10-Dec-07, 15:28
well i've got to start with wallace and gromit. mr bean used to get rolled out as well. noel edmonds (sp?) was always floating around xmas tv if i remember rightly - just checked the link, noels xmas presents! i remember now, there used to always be a totp on to but thats gone as well.

nanoo
10-Dec-07, 17:11
Tv of yesteryear on Christmas day is memorable to me for many things but if i have to single one out, it would be, a pantomime. I used to love watching one on telly every Christmas day afternoon. It did'nt matter what pantomime it was as long as it came live from a theatre somewhere (usually London) and the front couple of rows were filled with children from homes from all over the country. I used to love the atmosphere and to see how much these kids loved and enjoyed the show. The only one on telly in recent years, has been the Coronation Street one which was good but not in the same league as the real McCoy.[lol]:lol:

paris
10-Dec-07, 18:54
Noel`s christmas presents always made me cry, Family reunions, adoption storys, familys who had loved ones in the forces and would be away for the xmas holidays, Oh the list goes on ! jan x

Liz
10-Dec-07, 19:07
Scorrie you are quite right in that DVDs mean we have usually seen all the Christmas films whereas before they were a real treat.

Like Nanoo I loved the panto. Was it Falkirk where we used to get a panto performed by schoolchildren.
Also liked Leslie Crowther distributing presents to bairns in hospital.

Not sure what TV programmes are for this Christmas but do know that the soaps (which will probably dominate the festivities) are really depressing which is awful!
Looking forward to Dr Who though!!! If there was a festive edition of Shaun the Sheep then I would be set!

hotrod4
10-Dec-07, 19:45
Dr Who and Extras are topping my bill at the moment for crimbo.
Used to love watching TOTP on Xmas day before we tucked into our turkey.
Only fools and Wizard of oz were also a xmas tradition in our house.
look forward to a good movie about half 4 once ive eaten all my dinner, so will have to check the listings.
SKY might have something watchable that I havent seen yet.

Margaret M.
10-Dec-07, 20:07
Great link, Scorrie! Stirred up lots of old memories. Morecambe and Wise, the program from Great Ormond Street Hospital and Top of the Pops were some of my favorites.

karia
10-Dec-07, 21:33
Anyone heard of 'The Great Escape'?

It was ground breaking![lol][lol]

karia

scorrie
11-Dec-07, 00:13
Anyone heard of 'The Great Escape'?

It was ground breaking![lol][lol]

karia

A bit Camp for my taste. More of a Coldtitz man myself!!

bluelady
11-Dec-07, 02:16
we were allowed to watch TOTP, then we had to have the Queen, then the circus and then TV was off for drinks, games, cards and visitors.

jings00
11-Dec-07, 17:20
Stanley Baxter, I mind fallin asleep when i wis wee, curled up on my dad, by the time he came on the telly.