PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of the twelve days of christmas

justine
09-Dec-07, 18:38
Came across this and it made me think.Do we really understand the meaning of the twelve days of christmas....Well if you dont here are a few pointers...

http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html):lol:

Julia
09-Dec-07, 18:41
It means time to take the decorations down [lol]

justine
09-Dec-07, 18:44
Maybe you should read the link and you will find there is alot more info than when to take the decs down..........:lol::confused.

changilass
09-Dec-07, 19:21
I have read the link, but not being a religous person I have to agree with Julia the twelth day is when the decs come down, and twelve days before is when they go up

justine
09-Dec-07, 19:36
I have read the link, but not being a religous person I have to agree with Julia the twelth day is when the decs come down, and twelve days before is when they go up

Then would that not make the 24 days of christmas. I am not religious either but i do like to know the meaning of what i am celebrating. We all celebrate christmas and sing the songs but how many really know what they are singing about.....Each of the songs of the 12 days has a meaning other than whats on the menu and what delights people are having....What does christmas mean to people these days....

DeHaviLand
09-Dec-07, 19:40
From Justines link "It is certainly possible that this view of the song is legendary or anecdotal"

No kidding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rheghead
09-Dec-07, 19:47
Came across this and it made me think.Do we really understand the meaning of the twelve days of christmas....Well if you dont here are a few pointers...

http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html):lol:

That is quite intereting and it may be right. But, and it is a big but, I could quite easily use the same method to apply to any long book like the Lord of the Rings.

justine
09-Dec-07, 20:04
That is quite intereting and it may be right. But, and it is a big but, I could quite easily use the same method to apply to any long book like the Lord of the Rings.

I agree with you.This is only one version, but it is about the meaning of christmas that i am pointing at, The reasons why and for, this is just one persons voice, and there many more voices to be heard.

Lord of the rings is most definately better reading than the bible...or any religious writing but they are there to be read, and understood.....:D.

Julia
09-Dec-07, 21:21
Lord of the rings is most definately better reading than the bible...or any religious writing but they are there to be read, and understood.....:D.

Anything is a better read than the bible!

As Changi says the decs go up 12 days before and come down 12 days after... that's how we do it. It's also a nice Christmassy song!

unicorn
09-Dec-07, 21:41
But i get what Justine is saying also, somewhere along the line christmas has lost it's meaning and is just a time to give and presents :roll:

changilass
09-Dec-07, 21:47
Christmas may have lost its religious significance but in my family it was always about most of us having time of work at the same time so we could get together, this hasn't changed we love being able to spend time together and do it as often as possible.

Anne x
09-Dec-07, 22:43

thats what I do twelve days before and twelve days after tradition in our family
well this year depends on how everyone recovers from viral infection hitting all but that is the way i was brought up

Camel Spider
09-Dec-07, 23:06
But i get what Justine is saying also, somewhere along the line christmas has lost it's meaning and is just a time to give and presents :roll:

Sometimes though that is a good thing.

I also post on the Army Rumour Service and there is a thread running about an ex serviceman who lost a limb while serving. Both him and his family are facing being homeless for Xmas, this indivudual is also being treated for combat stress. However a fellow site member has located a property to let nearby to his childrens school that requires a bond and rent of £1750 up front.

A thread was started at 5.08pm tonight asking the site members to help. The site members are serving and ex forces, familes and civilians who just have an interest in the forces and its different sense of humour !!

At 8.34pm £1382 had been raised and this is still rising. A site sponsor has also pledged a weeks holiday in Spain for the family at one of his properties. There are students who dont have much pledging what they have. People are apologising for not being able to do more. That the target will be met by the site members is not in doubt, with a bit of luck the kiddies will get some Chrimbo presents as well.

For me this is what is best about Xmas and indeed human nature, when someone needs help they get it. The world is a cynical place today but things like this put some faith back in human nature for me.

I would post a link but the langauge and humour can get a bit fruity !!, if you want to see for yourself google "British Army Rumour Service", got to the site and check out the "Member in trouble. Help Needed" thread in the "Naafi Bar" forum.

Kenn
09-Dec-07, 23:24
Tradition varies, in my family the tree was cut on Christmas Eve and was a holly one, not a fir.
The family gathered together to dress the tree and the Yule log was placed end on into the hearth.
We took great care that the ivy that we decked the picture rail etc, with had equal share of both male and female so that neither sex would rule the house for the next year.
On the 12th night the tree was striped in the afternoon and the green garlands burnt on the fire.
Yes I quite agree that there are many interpretations that can be put upon the customs and the music of the festive season it just depends on your own interpretation.

And The Green Man dances on.

Moira
10-Dec-07, 01:36

http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html):lol:

I have more interest in the meaning of life all year round. I don't need a link here or have to Google it to remind me.

Aaldtimer
10-Dec-07, 03:50
..." in my family the tree was cut on Christmas Eve and was a holly one"...you cut down a Holly tree?
Jeeze, that's a bit over the top isn't it?

TBH
10-Dec-07, 04:07
Sometimes though that is a good thing.

I also post on the Army Rumour Service and there is a thread running about an ex serviceman who lost a limb while serving. Both him and his family are facing being homeless for Xmas, this indivudual is also being treated for combat stress. However a fellow site member has located a property to let nearby to his childrens school that requires a bond and rent of £1750 up front.

A thread was started at 5.08pm tonight asking the site members to help. The site members are serving and ex forces, familes and civilians who just have an interest in the forces and its different sense of humour !!

At 8.34pm £1382 had been raised and this is still rising. A site sponsor has also pledged a weeks holiday in Spain for the family at one of his properties. There are students who dont have much pledging what they have. People are apologising for not being able to do more. That the target will be met by the site members is not in doubt, with a bit of luck the kiddies will get some Chrimbo presents as well.

For me this is what is best about Xmas and indeed human nature, when someone needs help they get it. The world is a cynical place today but things like this put some faith back in human nature for me.

I would post a link but the langauge and humour can get a bit fruity !!, if you want to see for yourself google "British Army Rumour Service", got to the site and check out the "Member in trouble. Help Needed" thread in the "Naafi Bar" forum.I hope everything goes well for this guy and his family and shames our government to look after guys like this and their families, men and women that were, are willing to put their lives on the line to fight for their country. The knock on effect of serious disability or death of those men and women must be horrendous for their families and they deserve much better than the way they are currently treated by their governments. Thank god for the good side of human nature coming to the fore but it shouldn't really be necessary if our governments respected these men and women and took care of them as they should do.

Lolabelle
10-Dec-07, 08:52
Well we will be spending our "Epipheny" at a church camp on the Central Coast. (from the 26th - 6th :Razz)
I like to read the Bible, but not as novel, it's a life instruction manual for me.

And Christmas to me is a family get together and a time to be grateful and curious.
I'm grateful that at this time of year people remember to be kind and say hello on the street and show a bit of christmas cheer. But I'm curious as to why they don't do it all year round.
But as far as the biblical bit, well it's got nothing to do with it, other than as a merging of pagan celebrations mixed with christianity, and not when Jesus was born at all.

Kenn
10-Dec-07, 11:47
I hasten to add Aaltimer that it was not an entire holly tree ,just some 6ft of it.

justine
10-Dec-07, 13:58
Tradition varies, in my family the tree was cut on Christmas Eve and was a holly one, not a fir.
The family gathered together to dress the tree and the Yule log was placed end on into the hearth.
We took great care that the ivy that we decked the picture rail etc, with had equal share of both male and female so that neither sex would rule the house for the next year.
On the 12th night the tree was striped in the afternoon and the green garlands burnt on the fire.
Yes I quite agree that there are many interpretations that can be put upon the customs and the music of the festive season it just depends on your own interpretation.

And The Green Man dances on.
that is more the traditional christmas i remember...Now as an adult and a parent i see christmas in a whole different light. It is about giving and recieving presents,getting together with family..The religios side does not enter my head. I do not explain to my children why christmas is,they know what they are told at school...But it is nice to know the meanings whether i am religious or not

brokencross
10-Dec-07, 18:22
I understood the link up to The 4th Day of Christmas then my religious knowledge was distinctly left lacking.

The Deck Of Cards by Wink Martindale is more at my level of understanding. (Won't post a link in case I annoy Moira)

honey
10-Dec-07, 18:24
i cant see the link... my work has barred the site :confused

ett23
10-Dec-07, 20:24
But it is nice to know the meanings whether i am religious or not

If you're interested in meanings of things such as Christmas, here's a link about why it's celebrated on Dec25th even though Jesus wasn't born on that date! :D

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_sel.htm

Cazaa
10-Dec-07, 20:54
I did know the meanings of the 12 days of Christmas, quite cleverly hidden in the song.

Question, though - How many birds does 'my true love' give to me?

brokencross
11-Dec-07, 08:29
Shan't walk into your bird trap....too lazy to sing the song right through and do the sums.

honey
11-Dec-07, 11:40
Shan't walk into your bird trap....too lazy to sing the song right through and do the sums.

hands up who actually remembers anything after "5 gold rings" :lol:

TBH
11-Dec-07, 12:21
I did know the meanings of the 12 days of Christmas, quite cleverly hidden in the song.

Question, though - How many birds does 'my true love' give to me?seventeen?

Metalattakk
11-Dec-07, 15:58
Question, though - How many birds does 'my true love' give to me?

Two hundred and seven.

NickInTheNorth
11-Dec-07, 17:00
A thread was started at 5.08pm tonight (9th Dec) asking the site members to help. The site members are serving and ex forces, familes and civilians who just have an interest in the forces and its different sense of humour !!

At 8.34pm £1382 had been raised and this is still rising.

Would appear to now be over £5000!

Nice to see something other than naked greed at Chistmas!