PDA

View Full Version : Widows of Clyth

trinkie
09-Dec-07, 09:16
Here is some of the info I have gleaned... I would suggest you read Donald Campbell's book 'Widows of Clyth' it is fiction, but based on this tragedy. It's been reprinted and can be purchased on line.

I also give details from the local newspaper - John O Groat Journal.
I hope this will help.

I am not able to reply to all questions here, but will do my best from time to time.

From Donald Campbell’s book
"On 26th Jan 1876 six men from Clyth put out to sea to fish for Haddock
David Sutherland, Thomas Sutherland, William Sutherland,
Robert Sutherland, Donald Sinclair and William MacKay
The following morning the boat was wrecked and they were all lost.
Between them they left five widows and 26 children in a state of acute poverty"
--------------------------------------------------------------
FROM THE J. O. G. JOURNAL , Feb 3rd 1876
"David Sutherland age 50yrs leaves a widow and 6 children
the eldest 12yrs and the youngest ???????
Thomas Sutherland age 40 brother of David Sutherland. He leaves a widow and 7 children. From 17yrs to 15 months.
Donald Sinclair age 43 leaves a widow and 6 children – from 12yrs to 3months. He also leaves his father and mother aged about 80yrs and an old aunt who was entirely dependant on him.
William Sutherland age 30yrs leaves a widow and 5 children 7yrs to 5weeks.
Robert Sutherland age 26yrs leaves a widow and 2 children 3yrs and 14months.
William MacKay single, leaves mother and brother both dependant on him."
The widow of David Sutherland has lost her husband and two brothers –
William and Robert also her brother in law Thomas.
The widow of Thomas Sutherland has lost her husband, also her brother Donald Sinclair and brother in law D Sutherland.
The widow of Donald Sinclair has lost her husband.
William Sutherland’s wife lost husband, brother Daniel Sinclair and two brothers in law Robert and Thomas Sutherland
Robert Sutherland’s wife lost husband, and brother in law David Sutherland.
The old man Sutherland and wife have lost their two sons William and Robert, and David Sutherland son in law, and William MacKay also a relative.

From DEATH CERTS. I HAVE FOUND.

THOMAS SUTHERLANDMarr to Helen Sinclair. His father Andrew Sutherland, mother Jane nee Forbes. wItness James Sinclair nephew in law.
1876 DONALD SUTHERLAND
Married to Elizabeth Sutherland His father James Sinclair and mother Margaret nee MacKay witness James Sinclair Nephew.

WILLIAM SUTHERLANDmarried to Margaret Sinclair his father William Sutherland mother Isabella nee Clyne witness Henry Sutherland, brother
Body not found.

ROBERT SUTHERLAND married to Isabella ClarkFather William Sutherland mother Isabella nee Clyne witness Henry Sutherland brother. Body not found

DAVID SUTHERLAND married to Elizabeth SutherlandFather Andrew Sutherland and Jane nee Forbes witness Henry Sutherland brother in law. Body not found.

E&OE

I'm still working on William MacKay.

Tighsonas4
11-Dec-07, 20:42
hi trinkie
thats some of all the extracts ive been working withbuy could never get them on like that. old age as regards william mackay???am not sure if it should read baillie just in case its helpful have letter from dc hes delighted theres been a re publish regards tony

amac
14-Dec-07, 20:28
As well as the children listed Thomas Sutherland also had a son called James who must have been 14 at the time of the tragedy. James was the grandfather of my father-in-law, Alex Begg.

Janpat41
19-Dec-07, 00:55
William Mackay was the son of Catherine Clyne, a sister of Isabella Clyne. He was unmarried, but due to be married the week of the tragedy.

susan.leith
19-Dec-07, 21:10
From The Scotsman 28th January 1876, p5
MELANCHOLY BOAT ACCIDENT NEAR WICK
SIX FISHERMEN DROWNED
A melancholy boat accident occurred at Clyth, on the Caithness coast, yesterday, by which six fishermen lost their lives. The unfortunate crew proceeded to the fishing in the orning in a small boat. As the weather was fine, a moderate breeze blowing from the south west, no danger was apprehended. In the course of the forenoon, however, the boat was seen bottom upwards in a narrow channel between an out-lying reef of rocks and the shore, near Clyth Ness. On being picked up, it was found that the sail was set and the sheet tied, from which it was supposed that the boat had been caught by a sudden squall and capsized. The body of one of the crew, named Thomas Sutherland, was found entangled in the nets which were attached to the boat. The names of the infortunate men are - Thomas Sutherland and David Sutherland, brothers; Robert and William Sutherland, also brothers; and Donald Sinclair and William Mackay. The first five were married, and leave widows and families. It appears that the whole crew were related to each other by marriage.

Dianne Malcolm
19-Mar-08, 13:18
I am trying to get a hold of a copy of this book but can't seem to get it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get a copy? Thanks:Razz

Tighsonas4
20-Mar-08, 21:51
I am trying to get a hold of a copy of this book but can't seem to get it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get a copy? Thanks:Razz
hi dianne could haven given you donald campbells email address but it would be no advantage he says he has only one copy himself but that book does crop up from time to time. have been fortunate enough to have got a cassete on the play it must have been taken from some radio show
hopr you can turn one up yet happy hunting tony

Dianne Malcolm
20-Mar-08, 22:16
Thanks Tony, I will keep looking, Dianne

Tighsonas4
20-Mar-08, 22:18
As well as the children listed Thomas Sutherland also had a son called James who must have been 14 at the time of the tragedy. James was the grandfather of my father-in-law, Alex Begg.
with ref to james sutherland he was born 3 rd july 1862 he was my grandfathers brother.regards tony

Tighsonas4
20-Mar-08, 22:42
Thanks Tony, I will keep looking, Dianne
hi dianne
its only a thought but do you know that there was another tradgey in 1855
13 mere boys lost william aged 18 john aged 16 and robert aged 14 all sons of john malcolm east clyth .knew your name rang a bell
not much help but worth a look regards tony

lynn prow
20-Mar-08, 23:34
Try this website I purchased one from this site last year.

cheers, Lynn

www.fairplaypress. co.uk

Dianne Malcolm
24-Mar-08, 22:39
Thanks for the info Tony.:)

Dianne Malcolm
24-Mar-08, 22:41
Thanks for the info Tony.

Thanks to Lynn also. I have tried website but they only seem to have the play and not the book. Will keep searching.

Kind Regards to you both, Dianne

domino
25-Mar-08, 00:00
My sister enquired at DRs in High St and they said they could get it in about six weeks

Tighsonas4
25-Mar-08, 13:44
WIDOWS OF CLYTH
although donald cambells book is fiction he actually has someone related to
the tradegy himself. one is a jessie clyne used to be a baker in smith terrace and someone called black jean whom he cant locate
have a copy of the second disaster but will have to wait until i get someone to put it on here for me. regards tony

Tighsonas4
26-Mar-08, 18:42
DISASTER FUND
in some of the literature i have there was a special fund set up in connection with disaster and the last reference we could find the sum of over £1000 pounds had been donated locally .a princely sum considering the times tony

Tighsonas4
27-Mar-08, 21:12
Deplorable Accident Thirteen Lives Lost[1855]
There Are Lamentations And Great Weeping And Mourningin This Neighbourhood Owing To The Occurence Of A Catastrophe More Sad And Sweepingin Its Local Consequences Than Has Ever Been Known Here
On Tuesday Morning 13 Lads Not One Of Whom Was Above 20 Years Of Age Left East Clyth In Anew Boat To Procced To A Rock Calledd Skerryvore To Gather Bait And Were To Return By 9 Oclock For Breakfast
A Little Before 9 Oclock They Were Descried By A Little Girl A Relation Of One Of The Lads And That Was The Last That Was Ever Seen Of Them And There Was No Doubt That The Whole Hapless Crew Had Perished That Forenoon.
It Is Impossible To Describe The Anxiety Which This Terrible Tradagey Has Caused In The Community
There Is Not A House Where The Wail Of Sorrow Is Not Heard
One Man Has3 Sons Among The Lost Others 2 And In The Districtthere Is Scarcely A Family Not Called To Mourn
A Reporter Sent To The Spot This Morning And From Him We Learn The Following Are The Names Of The Sufferers
George Sutherland Aged 19 John Aged 14 Sons Of William Sutherland
John Sutherland Aged 14 Nephew Of William Sutherland [father Dead
William Sutherland Aged 18 And Alexander Aged 13 Sons Of William Sutherland
George Sutherland Aged 17 Son Of Robert Suyherland [crofts]
William Macolm Aged 18 John Aged 16 And Robert Aged14 Sons Of John Malcolm East Clyth
Alexander Sutherland Aged 19 Son Of James Sutherland East Clyth
Alexander Sutherland Aged 18 Son Of Alexander Sutherland East Clyth
Alexander Baillie Aged 14 Son Of William Baillie East Clyth
It Is Supposed That A Heavy Gust Of Wind Had Struck The Boat And With The Number On Board She Had Gone Down Instantaneously
The Boat Found Yesterday 4 Crews Went To The Spot Where She Was Last Seen But Only Some Boards Etc Were Foundthe Consternation In The District Can Only Be Imagined
All The Bereaved Families Live Within A Quarter Of Amile Radius Of
One Another
None Of These Boys Were Ever Found And Presumed Drowned

DonBaillie
26-May-09, 01:15
I have both these disasters in my family tree,
in fact two of the boys drowned in the 1855 disaster
George and John Sutherland were brothers of
William and Robert Sutherland who drowned in the 1876 disaster
their parents were William Sutherland born 1809
and Isobel Clyne born 1808
all the information about the disasters is in the 'Book of Lybster'
by Donald A Young

DonBaillie
26-May-09, 08:49
I Have just checked the Family tree
Robert Sutherland 1849-1876
Was my Great Grandfather.

DonBaillie
26-May-09, 15:47
Therefore my great grandmother Isabella Sutherland nee Clark 1852-1934
was one of the 'Widows of Clyth'?

Mosser
26-May-09, 16:00
Andrew Sutherland who was lost in the Clyth disaster had a grandson Alexander Mckay aged 30 who was skipper of WK100 Confidence and he was lost at sea 10miles out from Wick on 7th Feb 1888, knocked overboard by the tiller striking him on the head. Left a wife and three children, very sad.

Tighsonas4
26-May-09, 17:14
Andrew Sutherland who was lost in the Clyth disaster had a grandson Alexander Mckay aged 30 who was skipper of WK100 Confidence and he was lost at sea 10miles out from Wick on 7th Feb 1888, knocked overboard by the tiller striking him on the head. Left a wife and three children, very sad.
mosser can you check your infmo again as if you go back through the previous posts and check the lists there wasnt an andrew sutherland lost in either disaster ???
there was andrews left as orphans but cant tie even that up
quite interested though regards tony

nzmeadow
22-Feb-10, 20:51
Hi,

I believe my great, great, great, grandfather William Sinclair was brother to Donald Sinclair who drowned in the Widows of Clyth accident.
I would dearly love to make contact with Sinclair descendants and find out any more information about my Sinclair line as I have so little. I am over in New Zealand. William left years before the accident to head to the Australian Goldfields.

Kindest Regards
Jen Coster