PDA

View Full Version : Sobering poem

Tugmistress
07-Dec-07, 20:49
borrowed from another forum i post on ....

And remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mum
So I had a sprite instead.

I felt proud of myself,

The way you said I would,
That I didn't drink and drive,
Though some friends said I should.

I made a healthy choice,

And your advice to me was right,
The party finally ended,
And the kids drove out of sight.

I got into my car,

Sure to get home in one piece,
I never knew what was coming, Mum
Something I expected least.

Now I'm lying on the pavement,

And I hear the policeman say,
The kid that caused this wreck was drunk,
Mum, his voice seems far away.

My own blood's all around me,

As I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
This girl is going to die.

I'm sure the guy had no idea,

While he was flying high,
Because he chose to drink and drive,
Now I would have to die.

So why do people do it, Mum

Knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
Like a hundred stabbing knives.

Someone should have taught him,
That it's wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive.

My breath is getting shorter, Mum

I'm getting really scared.
These are my final moments,
And I'm so unprepared.

I wish that you could hold me Mum,

As I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say, 'I love you, Mum!'
So I love you and good-bye.

Lets have A safe christmas, new year and every day.

golach
07-Dec-07, 20:57
Well done Tuggs..................

unicorn
07-Dec-07, 20:57
and such a sad truth :~(

George Brims
07-Dec-07, 22:07
Jeepers Tugs. It must be being so cheerful that gets you through the day!

Tugmistress
07-Dec-07, 22:29

I am quite a cheery person really George :D

unicorn
07-Dec-07, 22:50
Very cheery person Tuggs, your smile lights up my day when we meet doing the shopping :lol: Lord I hate shopping :roll:

Buttercup
07-Dec-07, 22:51
Lovely poem and so true.

NLP
07-Dec-07, 23:20
So sad so true,

hope folk take note

sam
07-Dec-07, 23:25
so very sad and so very true, its nearly always someone else who suffers because of drink driving:(

changilass
07-Dec-07, 23:42
Think its great that this has been made a sticky, hope it stays up into the new year.

Moira
08-Dec-07, 00:14

She is very cheerful - that is fact.

I've made Tugmistress's post here a "sticky". It conveys a very important message in line with the current local/national campaigns with regard to drinking sensibly and a whole lot of other issues besides.

Feel free to post here whatever the topic means to you :)

cuddlepop
08-Dec-07, 12:03
Its such a sad poem that it brought tears to my eyes.:~(

Having three teenagers at this time of year with all the party's they go to really makes me worried.
My eldest knows not to drink and drive but do the rest?[disgust]

Angela
08-Dec-07, 12:09
A very timely post, Tuggs.
My closest friend's brother was killed in an car crash where the other driver had been drunk, on December 22nd.
Some years ago now, but his family have had to live with this needless loss ever since, and it's always hardest for them at this time of year.
Let's hope your post makes a few folk think twice about drinking and driving -or allowing their friends and family to do so - over this festive season.

badger
08-Dec-07, 17:54
I just wish everyone in the country who drives, and their passengers, could see this and maybe think again. I refused a lift from a friend in London recently because he'd been drinking at home with his meal and he was quite upset, insisting he was OK. Until the law forbids any drink at all before driving, there will always be those drivers who think they're OK because they've only had one or two, they can hold their drink, it doesn't affect them etc.

alanatkie
08-Dec-07, 18:08
It is such a sad poem but so true.
Its great if it makes at least 1 person think before they drink & drive.

TBH
08-Dec-07, 19:37
I think they should have breathalysers fitted as standard in every car.

Ricco
09-Dec-07, 09:45
A very good poem, Tuggs. It carries the kind of message that we need to get across to the drink-drivers. Sadly, the statistics will continue because: they either don't read the messages around them (maybe deliberately looking away), or because they have that brash... "I'm OK, I can hold my drink" attitude.

weestraw
09-Dec-07, 23:13
An excellent poem Tuggs. Hope it makes atleast one person think about it.

wifie
10-Dec-07, 04:12
Gut wrenchingly sad - but true. Thanks - might make someone think - let's hope so!

nanoo
10-Dec-07, 12:39
I know this is very sad and also true tuggs, however i feel i must also say it is a very touching and really beautiful piece of poetry.

paris
10-Dec-07, 18:38
How very sad but so very true, Thanks Tugg`s . jan x

bluelady
11-Dec-07, 02:56
It's often the innocent that get hurt or worse and this poem is such an example. on the other spectrum, last year I asked OH to pick us up so I could have a drink with friends as I usually do e driving and stick to soft drinks. As he came over the bridge to e harbour car park, a young drunken loon jumped on his bonnet and asked for a lift home, :mad: needless to say he didnt get one, but if OH picks us up now, we have to walk to a quieter spot, usually by the court. This loon could have easily fallen off or missed the bonnet and been run over or caused a more serious accident.

crashbandicoot1979
12-Dec-07, 12:05
What a sad poem Tuggs, but so true.

There should be a zero tolerance policy on drink driving. I know some would disagree but alcohol affects us all differently - some people can have a couple and be OK, but others can't even cope with one. I'm in the latter group - I wouldn't trust myself to drive after a drink even if I was below the "legal limit." It may be a legal limit but its still above my personal limit and I find it frightening that I am legally permitted to drive in that condition.

Welcomefamily
13-Dec-07, 22:53
It bring back memories of a case in Devon of a young nurse who was killed by a car being driving by a chap who was ten times over the legal limit and driving in excess of 100 for a bet. The car flipped over the central barrier of the dual carriage way. He got five years and was out after three, her parents have never recovered.
I think that he should have got at least 20 years, I dont see a difference if its a knife or a car used as the weapon, its still murder.