PDA

View Full Version : Come on Ricky !

percy toboggan
07-Dec-07, 19:09
I hope Caithness will get behind this down to earth boxer as he takes on Mayweather in Las Vegas. I have never heard a fight be so fervently previewed. Hatton lives just down the road from me and trains in my town. He is a good lad, who has a tremendous following locally.

I'm no fight expert. I have doubts about the ethics of boxing as a sport. However, I would love this little fella to win. If he does then America will embrace him in spades.

Come on Ricky!!!!

Solus
07-Dec-07, 19:52
I hope its going to be a good fight, would like to see Hatton win,those body punches of his are lethal.

Its going to be a right old ding dong,

northener
07-Dec-07, 19:55
Don't have Sky, but good luck!

George Brims
07-Dec-07, 19:56
It will be interesting to see if Hatton can win, but I don't understand the resentment towards Mayweather that seems to be prevalent in the UK. He recently took part in "Dancing with the Stars" on US TV, and came across as quite a nice bloke. A bit driven and with a strong ego, but he wouldn't be where he was without a bit of that.

percy toboggan
07-Dec-07, 20:04
Mayweather has come from a very dark place. His childhood blighted by poverty and drugs. He's done well - understatement - and he can't half box.
Ricky Hatton comes from a sprawling-ish council estate on the far eastern edge of Manchester. He loves a good fry-up and a pint or seven of Guinness.
His 'Mam and Dad' are still married! and he talks a bit like me.

He must have something extra though because up to 25,000 of his fans are in Las Vegas.

hotrod4
07-Dec-07, 20:11
Love watching Ricky fight.Its magical and emotional when he goes in the ring to "blue moon" as Ricky is like me a true blue city fan!!!!
Will watch the fight on the net for free as not paying box office as they severely overcharge:(
C'mon hitman were all behind you.

percy toboggan
07-Dec-07, 20:18
Co-incidentally, I have followed Manchester City since 1960.
Often by means of thumbing lifts - a long time ago but it's
a bond one never forgets.

How can one watch the bout on the internet???

hotrod4
07-Dec-07, 20:20
[QUOTE

How can one watch the bout on the internet???[/QUOTE]

Have PM'd you!!
Dont wanna upset the apple cart :)

hez4
08-Dec-07, 17:00
could anyone with info on how to watch the fight over the internet send me a quick PM telling me how! I'm desperate to see it tonight!

thanks in advance!:)

quirbal
08-Dec-07, 19:54
Can anyone please pm me with any free links for the fight.

Cheers.

unicorn
08-Dec-07, 19:56
me too please..... :D

TBH
08-Dec-07, 20:04
I hope Caithness will get behind this down to earth boxer as he takes on Mayweather in Las Vegas. I have never heard a fight be so fervently previewed. Hatton lives just down the road from me and trains in my town. He is a good lad, who has a tremendous following locally.

I'm no fight expert. I have doubts about the ethics of boxing as a sport. However, I would love this little fella to win. If he does then America will embrace him in spades.

Come on Ricky!!!!Having seen how he defeated Castillo and retired Kostya Tszyu who at the time was the unified champion in the 140 division, I wouldn't put it past Hatton to defeat Mayweather and I really hope he does.

Solus
08-Dec-07, 20:12
Was that the one where he took Castillo out with the body punch, that was a brutal punch ! Just watched it again on youtube.

TBH
08-Dec-07, 20:15
Was that the one where he took Castillo out with the body punch, that was a brutal punch ! Just watched it again on youtube.That's the one, I couldn't understand how a punch could do that to a professional boxer and I dont want to find out. One word, 'devastating'.

horseman
09-Dec-07, 00:36
Yea come on Ricky----but I fear for him on the cuts....but I am on for him.
What a --if he wins--Champion of the world--whooooooooo

Camel Spider
09-Dec-07, 00:48
I'll be watching as our rig has got it !!

Hope he wins, top guy and so down to earth.

Give him a trip to knock out city Ricky .. ;)

Anne x
09-Dec-07, 00:56
Amir Khan won Now Ricky Hatton go go go

philupmaboug
09-Dec-07, 06:36
Unlucky Ricky....still proud of you m8t.

hotrod4
09-Dec-07, 06:39
well done ricky up on points but you did yourself and family proud

Boozeburglar
09-Dec-07, 06:42
Brave effort, but he just doesn't have the tools. Outclassed.

;)

Metalattakk
09-Dec-07, 06:45
Mayweather was undoubtedly the better fighter, on the night. A clever, cute and ultimately overpowering performance from him.

Fair dues to Hatton, but he was pretty much outclassed. Also, it was heartening to see Mayweather and Hatton straight after the fight. You could tell there was a respect between them both, which showed Mayweather's arrogant media-driven persona in a different light.

Big fuss about the British fans booing the US national anthem at the start. Poor show if the football-fan mentality is permeating into first Rugby and now Boxing.

percy toboggan
09-Dec-07, 07:19
Summation: I could only listen to the fight - (forgot the link h/r in my sleepy state.)

I'm far from an expert but it sounded like Hatton was never really in with a bid. Outboxed really. Mayweather was superb in victory, and very generous to the loser. Which again rather outshone Hatton's reaction in defeat in my opinion.
The fans booing the U.S. anthem were frankly a disgrace. What is wrong with these people - en masse they they seem incapable of showing much respect for anything except their man. I didn't think they ever got fully behind Hatton anyway, especially when he needed it....at least that's how it came over on the wireless.

scotsboy
09-Dec-07, 09:34
Mayweather was undoubtedly the better fighter, on the night. A clever, cute and ultimately overpowering performance from him.

Fair dues to Hatton, but he was pretty much outclassed. Also, it was heartening to see Mayweather and Hatton straight after the fight. You could tell there was a respect between them both, which showed Mayweather's arrogant media-driven persona in a different light.

Big fuss about the British fans booing the US national anthem at the start. Poor show if the football-fan mentality is permeating into first Rugby and now Boxing.

Football again getting the blame for a social problem.

Pure disgrace the booing of National Anthems.

hotrod4
09-Dec-07, 11:41
Summation: I could only listen to the fight - (forgot the link h/r in my sleepy state.)

I'm far from an expert but it sounded like Hatton was never really in with a bid. Outboxed really. Mayweather was superb in victory, and very generous to the loser. Which again rather outshone Hatton's reaction in defeat in my opinion.
The fans booing the U.S. anthem were frankly a disgrace. What is wrong with these people - en masse they they seem incapable of showing much respect for anything except their man. I didn't think they ever got fully behind Hatton anyway, especially when he needed it....at least that's how it came over on the wireless.

The booing was a disgrace but besides that the "fans" were loud to say the least!
After Ricky went down all you could hear was"theres only one ricky hatton" which would bring a tear to a glass eye.
Its a shame that they booed because Ricky was superb and they would have done him proud if they hadnt spoiled it with the booing.
All in all a damn good fight which I thought Ricky had it slightly on points for the opening six but Mayweather was very clever,sat back and waited till Ricky was exhausted.
At least he did a better job than a certain pantomine dame-Mr Bruno!!!!
Ricky is still a hero in my eyes."blue moon you saw me standing alone"
Would love to be in the "blue camp" next time hes there as the noise would be unbelievable :)
Well done Ricky pity the idiots will get all the attention.

Solus
09-Dec-07, 14:35
That ref !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ricky was fighting two guys in the first 6 rounds :eek: But it cant take away the fact that the Mayweather punch in the 10th was a cracker and Ricky did well to get back up from it.

Still good fight to watch and shame Ricky never was allowed to fight his own style, in close and in your face !

hotrod4
09-Dec-07, 15:10
That ref !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ricky was fighting two guys in the first 6 rounds :eek: But it cant take away the fact that the Mayweather punch in the 10th was a cracker and Ricky did well to get back up from it.

Still good fight to watch and shame Ricky never was allowed to fight his own style, in close and in your face !

Couldnt agree wit you more! thought I was the only one who thought the ref was a bit too "picky" in the opening six. Thought I was biased as a Hattan fan but seems I am not the only one :)
Good fight as you said it was a cracking punch.

Solus
09-Dec-07, 15:16
Yup, i think if the ref gave them another second or two when they were up close it may have been a different fight, may not have been but who knows.

Still, up most respect to both of them.

But I must say I was spoilt last night, hours and hours of boxing, with a nice takeaway, sofa, beer, bliss ( now i got to go shopping with the good lady ) oh joys knew there was a catch somewhere.

Jeemag_USA
09-Dec-07, 18:52
I stayed up late watching the fight, I was fighting of the drooping eyes but managed to watch it all. Mayweather definately fought the best fight because he was smart, he knew exactly what Hatton's style would be and he soaked it up and he landed huge punches. I could see it coming from about round 4 or 5 watching Hattons relentless bulldog approach and seeing Mayweather was not being bothered by any of it, you just knew what was coming. Then in the 8th round you started to see the real start of it, big blows being landed and Hatton getting dizzied. Hatton should have approached this fight differently, Mayweather did not have to look for Hatton in the fight, he was in his face all the time so Mayweather had to just wait, Hatton was not landing killer punches, so all his tazmanian devil onslaught was a complete waste of energy. Mayweather just reeled him in, soaked it up, and then slapped him silly. Its a great shame because I love Hatton, I love his attitude and his style, but this was a real test, Mayweather is your typical big mout big headed american boxer and I so wanted to see him go down, but there was nothing coming from Hatton that was going to do that. I still think though he can beat Mayweather, he just needs a different approach. And he was fighting out of his weight as well. Hatton is in his peak of physical condition right now and looks better then ever, I hope he does not retire, he is probably one of if not the best boxer Britain has ever had.

Jeemag_USA
09-Dec-07, 18:58
Couldnt agree wit you more! thought I was the only one who thought the ref was a bit too "picky" in the opening six. Thought I was biased as a Hattan fan but seems I am not the only one :)
Good fight as you said it was a cracking punch.

I actually thought the ref did nothing wrong, Ricky was up close and in his face all the time, the ref has to be fair, Hatton was putting his arm up and over Mayweathers neck and locking down his head way too often, Hatton was doing that to stop mayweather answering his punch combinations, also there was the time when Hatton did smak Maywether in the back of the head and put him through the ropes, the referee made a call because it was unecessary to do that, Hatton didn't do himself any favours by showing his backside, that surprised and disappointed me. I really don't think the referee was to blame for anything. I think there was more frustration from Ricky because nothing he was trying to do was working, and none of it was phasing Mayweather at all, I honestly feel if the ref just stood back and let it go and Ricky was right on Mayweather all the time, he still woudl have got knocked out because Mayweather knew how to soak it up.

Solus
09-Dec-07, 19:24
also there was the time when Hatton did smak Maywether in the back of the head and put him through the ropes,

Think if you go watch the fight again, you will find that Mayweather went under the top rope, hattons punch landed on the rope and not on or near his head. As for locking Mayweathers neck, again he was ducking under waist height and on the way up would come up under Hattons arms as the punches were thrown. In close boxing is what Hatton does, never gets stopped in any other matches, Mayweather likes to bounce around , use his reach and set up a few punches. Where by Hatton likes to get close, inside and let his body blows do their work.

Camel Spider
09-Dec-07, 19:46
Think if you go watch the fight again, you will find that Mayweather went under the top rope, hattons punch landed on the rope and not on or near his head. As for locking Mayweathers neck, again he was ducking under waist height and on the way up would come up under Hattons arms as the punches were thrown. In close boxing is what Hatton does, never gets stopped in any other matches, Mayweather likes to bounce around , use his reach and set up a few punches. Where by Hatton likes to get close, inside and let his body blows do their work.

Agreed, the ref was a bit too much on Hattons case, I agree he was outclassed but the boy has heart doesnt he ??, never gave up and gave the best in the world a run for his money. Head up Ricky you have nothing to be ashamed of, well done.

I also wasnt impressed with the booing during the American anthem, but the biggest insult was Tom Jones singing our National Anthem. That was hideous.

Boozeburglar
09-Dec-07, 20:00
I have watched it a couple of more times, and I would have given Hatton three, maybe four of the rounds.

Not only was he comprehensively out boxed, he was outwitted, and maybe that is down to his trainers as he could have switched his game if he had good advice and practiced for that in preparing for the fight.

Perhaps his tendency to pile on the pounds and then face a punishing regime to get into shape leaves little time for tactical prep.

Whatever way you look at it, he can never be the greatest boxer if he is so limited in approach, and he is no great example of an athlete either.

Say what you like about Mayweather, his pre fight talk was all to hype the match. Once it was over he was graceful and humble in victory, Hatton was mainly full of excuses.

There is NO way Hatton will beat Mayweather. He is on a totally different level as an athlete, and Mayweather makes Hatton look average as a fighter.

He reminded me of a wee lad being held by the head while he punches away, all action and no effect.

Ugly git, too. Glad I won't be seeing even more posters of him going up.

;)

buggyracer
09-Dec-07, 20:01
the only way ricky could have won that fi6ht was by a knockout, the ref was a sham, he spoiled the first 3-4 rounds by stoppin ricky from doin his thin6, had he not done this i feel the fi6ht could have been a lot closer, fair play to mayweather he fouht a clever fi6ht and done what needed to be done, ricky imo was a bit naieve in his tactics, too one dimensional and should have had a plan b, but as i said earlier had the ref not been so envolved early on it could have been so different, hattons trainer was spot on at the end when he said ricky should stick to his wei6ht and not mess about a heavier wei6hts.

a 6ood bi6 un will always beat a 6ood little un!

Stargazer
09-Dec-07, 20:40
Agreed, the ref was a bit too much on Hattons case, I agree he was outclassed but the boy has heart doesnt he ??, never gave up and gave the best in the world a run for his money. Head up Ricky you have nothing to be ashamed of, well done.

I also wasnt impressed with the booing during the American anthem, but the biggest insult was Tom Jones singing our National Anthem. That was hideous.

The booing of the American anthem was a disgrace. What is the mentality of "fans" that boo and jeer the host nations anthem?

Camel Spider
09-Dec-07, 21:03
The booing of the American anthem was a disgrace. What is the mentality of "fans" that boo and jeer the host nations anthem?

Why are you asking me ??

Stargazer
09-Dec-07, 21:18
I listened to the match on Five Live this morning and was reflecting on your observation and hoping other orgers may have a comment.

Camel Spider
09-Dec-07, 21:22
I listened to the match on Five Live this morning and was reflecting on your observation and hoping other orgers may have a comment.

I posted that I wasnt impressed with the booing, the comment about Tom Jones being the bigger insult was tongue in cheek.

connieb19
09-Dec-07, 21:23
Ugly git, too. Glad I won't be seeing even more posters of him going up.

;)I thought he looked like Jim Davidson lol. :eek:

Stargazer
09-Dec-07, 21:26
I posted that I wasnt impressed with the booing, the comment about Tom Jones being the bigger insult was tongue in cheek.

I agree. I suspect TJ version was aimed at the US style of anthem.

percy toboggan
11-Dec-07, 17:21
Jim Davidson would not have stood a chance against Mayweather. He'd have gone down in one.

hotrod4
11-Dec-07, 19:39
Jim Davidson would not have stood a chance against Mayweather. He'd have gone down in one.

Better not tell Brian Dowling about Jim Davidson going down !!! lol ;)