PDA

View Full Version : Strong winds = no Sky TV

Julia
07-Dec-07, 18:12
My dish moved in the wind and now we have no satellite signal at all! This has been the crowing glory to a truly awful week. Sky can't send someone out to fix it for two whole weeks! Great! [evil]

We don't watch that much tv but when you don't have it you really miss it.

starry
07-Dec-07, 18:25
Is there noone local who could do a homer for you ?

ett23
07-Dec-07, 18:26
What about Graham Beggs - have you tried them to see if they could come out sooner? I know what a pain it is when you don't have tv reception!!!

garble
07-Dec-07, 18:48
Or you could plug an ordinary aerial in or read a good book snuggled up to a roaring fire ;)

George Brims
07-Dec-07, 19:59
A suggestion. Once you have it fixed, get a tape measure and take some measurements and write them down. Then if it shifts again you can put it back to close to the same position yourself.

hotrod4
07-Dec-07, 20:27
Know how you feel.
We had to wait 2 weeks after the last "storms".
Found out that the wind actually took the bracket off the wall!!!
Threatened to cancel and voila freebie!!!!!!! :)
Every time theres wind now I cross my fingers as 2 weeks without Sky was like pure torture.
good luck :)

golach
07-Dec-07, 20:33
Sky can't send someone out to fix it for two whole weeks! Great! [evil]
We don't watch that much tv but when you don't have it you really miss it.
Oh no Julia, you have my deepest sympathies, I cannot visualise two whole weeks without CSI Miami, NCIS and Law and Order, my life would be a hell on earth, not that I watch these programmes, but Mrs G does, and if she was somehow unable to view her favourite programmes, my life would not be worth living!!:eek:

Julia
07-Dec-07, 22:52
A suggestion. Once you have it fixed, get a tape measure and take some measurements and write them down. Then if it shifts again you can put it back to close to the same position yourself.

Good suggestion as it's only moved a wee bit, the problem is the dish is on the roof of the house :eek:. I managed to get Begg's but not until the end of next week, at least it's a week sooner than Sky.

I bought an aerial but my tv has no aerial socket, of course the telly is digital so won't take an aerial. I fiddled for a while with the aerial and video but only managed to get bbc1. I plugged the aerial in upstairs and got 4 channels all with dreadful reception, do we not get channel 5 here?

TBH
07-Dec-07, 23:41
I bought an aerial but my tv has no aerial socket, of course the telly is digital so won't take an aerial. I fiddled for a while with the aerial and video but only managed to get bbc1. I plugged the aerial in upstairs and got 4 channels all with dreadful reception, do we not get channel 5 here?That's pretty strange, digital or not I have never seen a t.v without an aerial socket?

Bananas
08-Dec-07, 12:46
HI - it may help to know that you can now get ITV1-4 live on broadband @ ITV.com it runs few seconds later that my digibox, works well for me? I have not tried other channels, has anyone?

TBH
08-Dec-07, 13:17
HI - it may help to know that you can now get ITV1-4 live on broadband @ ITV.com it runs few seconds later that my digibox, works well for me? I have not tried other channels, has anyone?
It has no firefox support yet, pity, as I don't really like using internet explorer.
A very nice find all the same.

Julia
09-Dec-07, 17:33
That's pretty strange, digital or not I have never seen a t.v without an aerial socket?

You are quite right, how dumb am I, found it under the label of 'tuner'! Reception via a tv aerial is really bad, I bought a cheap freeview box to tide us over but it won't pick up anything at all. :(

Liz
09-Dec-07, 19:16
You are quite right, how dumb am I, found it under the label of 'tuner'! Reception via a tv aerial is really bad, I bought a cheap freeview box to tide us over but it won't pick up anything at all. :(

I have a spare Freeview box you could try if you want?

TBH
09-Dec-07, 21:07
You are quite right, how dumb am I, found it under the label of 'tuner'! Reception via a tv aerial is really bad, I bought a cheap freeview box to tide us over but it won't pick up anything at all. :(You really need a good broadband arial to get all the channels on freeview and I think they are now quite reasonably priced.

Liz
09-Dec-07, 23:30
You really need a good broadband arial to get all the channels on freeview and I think they are now quite reasonably priced.

True(think you mean wideband?) but you should be able to get quite a few (enough to tide you over until you get Sky back) with an 'ordinary' ariel.

I used a Humax Freeview box for quite a while with my old aerial and got a really good reception on the main channels.
When I got a PVR I got a wideband aerial, plus new cable, and can now get them all.

TBH
10-Dec-07, 04:50
True(think you mean wideband?) but you should be able to get quite a few (enough to tide you over until you get Sky back) with an 'ordinary' ariel.

I used a Humax Freeview box for quite a while with my old aerial and got a really good reception on the main channels.
When I got a PVR I got a wideband aerial, plus new cable, and can now get them all.Broadband and wideband are just two terms with the same meaning.

Liz
10-Dec-07, 13:55
Broadband and wideband are just two terms with the same meaning.

Sorry I just thought it was Wideband for an aerial. Teach me to not to try to pretend to be 'technical'!:lol:

mi16
11-Dec-07, 11:49
You should buy yourself a digital sat finder
I bought one off ebay It was the best couple of quid I have spent recently as mine moves all the time in the wind, however I have just replaced the mounting bracket and it seems to be a lot better since.