PDA

View Full Version : names for pet

greeneyes
16-Sep-05, 12:51
We are getting a dog(female)any suggessions???

lassieinfife
16-Sep-05, 13:01
Really depends on what kind of dog and what it looks like :lol:

scotsboy
16-Sep-05, 13:11
Woof

greeneyes
16-Sep-05, 13:13
She's a collie,we're still at the thinking it through stage.

lassieinfife
16-Sep-05, 13:13
[quote="scotsboy"]Woof[/quote

that a sugestion or a comment? :lol:

The Angel Of Death
16-Sep-05, 13:53
How bout dfor as in d for dog ???

scotsboy
16-Sep-05, 14:29
Suggestion....you said it was female, then WOOF...........i.e. Ruth :roll: I'll get my coat....

windowman
16-Sep-05, 15:38
holly :)

kas
16-Sep-05, 16:18
Try this site not sure how good it is though.

http://www.bowwow.com.au/search/index.asp

teddybear1873
16-Sep-05, 16:22
Call it ASKIM....if anyone asks what the dog's name is just say ASKIM :o)

greeneyes
16-Sep-05, 16:29
Like it teddybear

lassieinfife
16-Sep-05, 16:56
Call it ASKIM....if anyone asks what the dog's name is just say ASKIM :o)

we had 2 dogs at one time one was Yodle and the other was Lady ........some funny looks when we called them back [lol]

2little2late
16-Sep-05, 17:08
How about calling her The Missus [lol] [lol]

Rheghead
16-Sep-05, 18:00
if its a collie how about Lassie?

or if it's a border collie, how about Shep?

I know it sounds a bit corny but I love those lassie films and I was a Blue Peter viewer in my younger days.

You want a name that is distinctive when called at a distance, those sound good.

hereboy
16-Sep-05, 18:37
I know someone who has a collie cross type thing and they named him - Andrew.

Who names a dog Andrew? Its not very Canine. Even if it was Andy it would sound more friendly and pet like - but Andrew?

Some folks are strange.

You could call it "hereboy"....but I'd sue... ;)

lassieinfife
16-Sep-05, 18:52
My last dog was Fred.... it suited him
how about beenie?

attidude9464
16-Sep-05, 19:50
How about Sheba or Shannon

teddybear1873
16-Sep-05, 19:59
U want names that r unusual like EINSTEIN, MUTLEY or WINSTON, etc

Whitewater
16-Sep-05, 21:43
Lassieinfife,

Your last dog 'Fred' is still with us on this forum : ;)

toodiemac
16-Sep-05, 23:38
How about Brecon (as in Beacons) could pronounce it "Breckan". Or maybe "Mulloch" and old word for darling? Or Clara the collie? Or how about a Spanish theme (my home land)

Perro (dog)
Loco (crazy)
Guapo (pretty) pronounced gwappo
Bonita (beautiful)
Amiga (friend)
Peludo (hairy)
Cachorro (puppy)

dpw39
17-Sep-05, 13:07
Keep the name as short as possible (for training purposes), and one that would have a sharp tone to it, to attract the dog.

Bitches are better for training, as they are more "homey" than the males and therefore more obedient and easier to train.

Or you can call it "DOG", its sharp, to the point, and says exactly what it does on the tin.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

mike.mckenzie
19-Sep-05, 16:58
Call it Spiff

jings00
19-Sep-05, 17:08
callum......... callum wot ya lek...
or dammit..... "c'mere, dammit!"...."siddown, dammit!" etc.

greeneyes
19-Sep-05, 20:37
Cheers all called her Tasha,whats the best way to go about training her to come back to you when off the leash

Rheghead
19-Sep-05, 21:13
Cheers all called her Tasha,whats the best way to go about training her to come back to you when off the leash

This is how we trained our dog. Get yourself one of those leads that extend and lock and some chopped liver.

When you go out with the dog, extend the lead then call your dog with a command that you are happy with (Mine is ''Come 'ere''). If and when she returns then praise her lots and give a bit of liver. Do this over and over for 2/3 weeks until she comes back just for praise only. When you are confident that she will come back without any liver at all then find a quiet place where you can let her off. But keep a secret piece of liver for the end of the walk just to be a softie. :)

zappster
19-Sep-05, 21:20
call it cats & itll go daft every time you shout on it :lol:

Jenni
20-Sep-05, 23:09
I am afraid I can't offer any help regarding the question of how to get a dog to come back to you when off the lead. The only way I can get our Westie to come in from the back garden is to either chase her in or shout from the back door "Do you want a biscuit" - it works every time and it gives the neighbours a laugh.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Sep-05, 09:05
find a big open space where she cannot come to harm such as the beach, Tie a very long peice of string (10 metres) to her collar and let her run around. That way if she wont come you can catch the string without having to get too close . This saves the running around the beach shouting and the dog having great fun out running you all the way

greeneyes
21-Sep-05, 12:18
Thanks for the tips will defenately try them.

jings00
23-Sep-05, 15:49
my westie used to have to be bribed with custard creams but he is wise to that now. have to tell him "cheerio then" . there are a few dog trainers about, if you go to the vet on the notice board there is details of folk who will help ya train them. Lots of praise though, deffinately.

Liz
24-Sep-05, 22:56
I love the name Tasha. That was the name of one of my lovely Shelties.

Rheghead you are spot on with the advice re recall.

However, I had a laugh at Jenni and Jings00's posts as that sounds like me with my dog Benjy!! :roll:

Good luck with the training and Jings00 is right. Plenty of praise!!!!

Wishing you and Tasha many happy years together! :D