PDA

View Full Version : benefits system and job centre strike

NickInTheNorth
06-Dec-07, 16:15
I know that there are many on here that believe that the benefits system is designed simply to pour money into the pockets of wastrels and ne'er do wells. But lets leave those prejudices to one side just for now.

For various reasons I have recently had to claim income support. Now bear in mind that this is for the very worst off in society. It is for if you have no money and no other benefit that is applicable to you.

So how does it work.

You phone the new claims call centre (I got through to one in Lincoln as it happens) that take all your details then send you a statement for you to sign and send back. Nice and easy. Well no not always. For some reason mine could not be done that way. Had to do a "clerical claim" basically fill in a form by hand. Fair enough. Oh but when I rang there was a postal strike. So I had to go to the joke centre in Wick - their instructions not my choice. Went with everything I was told to take. Collected the forms, and after much argument was allowed to sit in the joke centre to fill them in. Then when I tried to hand them in was told that I needed another means of ID, so I had to take the forms away and send them all back to them together with the additional ID. Fair enough.

Oh, but don't forget there's a postal strike, so don't until that is over. Oh and bye the way you post stuff for Wick jobcentre to Inverness so that they can open it and send it to us by courier. Really? Yes, we don't have the resources to open the post. Well OK then. And phone to tell us when you have posted it to make sure we get it OK. Will do.

Off I go, end of strike post off the form to Inverness - for Wick! Phone call made to say it's on the way. Thank you, any more queries phone Clydebank. Clydebank? Yes they process all the claims. You post it to Inverness, they courier it to Wick, we enter it onto the computer to say it has arrived, then we courier it to Clydebank to process it.

OK, so I post the envelope to Inverness to get sent to Wick by courier so they can say they have received it on their computer then they send it by courier to Clydebank for processing? (I kid you not!)

So after a week of hearing nothing at all I phone Clydebank. Oh no, it will take at least 2 weeks to process the forms.

A week later - oh no, at least 18 working days, it won't be done before the end of November.

30th November - hello Clydebank - how's my claim going? What claim, you haven't got an outstanding claim. What. Eventually something on the system says I did phone and make the claim. Oh the forms must be lost. Can you go to Wick and collect duplicates?

So here I am after 9 weeks still waiting for a decision regarding my claim for income support, having meanwhile lived on fresh air, and the goodwill of friends still waiting for money to which I am entitled.

Meanwhile I hear today that the jobcentre staff have walked out after only being offered a 3% pay rise.

Can you imagine just how much sympathy I have for those poor civil servants :roll:

xx_chickie
06-Dec-07, 16:19
What a situation, hope you get it sorted soon! :)

It's ridiculous how much paper-pushing is done in things today!

NickInTheNorth
06-Dec-07, 16:21
What a situation, hope you get it sorted soon! :)

It's ridiculous how much paper-pushing is done in things today!

Thanks xx_chickie

Just venting steam before I blow up, but it is a crazy system!

poppett
06-Dec-07, 16:21
It doesn`t help put food on the table or keep a roof over your head, but there are dozens of other people in the same boat as yourself. Bring back the local offices who would help not hinder with making genuine claims.

NickInTheNorth
06-Dec-07, 16:24
It doesn`t help put food on the table or keep a roof over your head, but there are dozens of other people in the same boat as yourself. Bring back the local offices who would help not hinder with making genuine claims.

Totally agree with you poppett. Local offices were always good to deal with. Much harder to treat someone sat in front of you as a claim number and not a person.

jings00
06-Dec-07, 16:25
you would think, that if you needed to claim, you could do it all sitting down face to face with a person and they put off the information for you, to make sure it is all present and correct, instead of forms goin to across the uk and faffing about. it is a pure nightmare.

NickInTheNorth
06-Dec-07, 16:28
I suppose given recent events with CD's being shipped around the country by the governments internal mail service I shouldn't be too surprised at my forms going missing.

I guess the whole system has been designed by a half wit.

golach
06-Dec-07, 16:50
Blame successive Governments for setting up the Systems in the first place, not the wee lassie or laddie who is the unfortunate one who picks up your call. They did not set the System in operation, they are trying to make it work. And with constant weekly or monthly changes in the System, no wonder things go wrong.
These Civil Servants that happen to answer your call, will probably be a bad off as many and claiming Income Support also.
I know what its like to be harranged over the phone, I worked for a wee while in that call centre environment, dealing with civil servants in the Hm C & E and it was not a nice job.
As for Civil Servants and Postal Workers going on strike, I can assure strike action is the last thing they want, do you see them volunteering to loose wages? Aye Right.

rob murray
06-Dec-07, 18:38
Blame successive Governments for setting up the Systems in the first place, not the wee lassie or laddie who is the unfortunate one who picks up your call. They did not set the System in operation, they are trying to make it work. And with constant weekly or monthly changes in the System, no wonder things go wrong.
These Civil Servants that happen to answer your call, will probably be a bad off as many and claiming Income Support also.
I know what its like to be harranged over the phone, I worked for a wee while in that call centre environment, dealing with civil servants in the Hm C & E and it was not a nice job.
As for Civil Servants and Postal Workers going on strike, I can assure strike action is the last thing they want, do you see them volunteering to loose wages? Aye Right.

Spot on, Gordon Brown personally over saw the creation of Jobcentreplus ( merging employment services / income support departments ) reasons : to rationalise and make cost savings, which they did by laying staff off. ( this was his well presented "bonfire of quangos and civil servants" cutting back bureaucracy ) Fewer staff are now at hand to deal with the public ( less have to do more ) and the service delivered is the worst ever. This is not the fault of staff, but the idiot who forced these changes through. I am really glad to see Stalin Brown now being ridiculed as Mr Bean and personally see him as a 3 year man, cos he's going out and deservedly so !!!

ciderally
06-Dec-07, 19:21
just reading your story wow has it really got that bad dare i ask whare you can complain to..good luck

hotrod4
06-Dec-07, 19:21
Why dont they sacK all the jobcentre numpties(the ones who cant do their job not all of them!)and employ all the people who phone in. After all the phone calls and conversations they would know more about the system than the numpties!!!
Just realised how much sense that really makes.
For my next trick........world peace ;)

cuddlepop
06-Dec-07, 19:50
The benefit system is a nightmare to negotiate.

The creation of Jobcentre plus has brought nothing but upheaval to places like yourself in Thurso and Portree like ourselves.

We've had to jump through the hoops your having to jump through Nic and you have my sympathy as I know its difficult to survive on fresh air.

We had to wait 8weeks for a DLA officer to visit Skye from his Fort William office just to interview my daughter to confirm her wishes that she wanted me to carry on as her appointee.
Strangers and Asperger's dont go together so you can imagine how much fun we had.:mad:
This poor man also covers the outer isles and was as disillusioned with the system as I am.:(

Metalattakk
06-Dec-07, 21:11
<Devil's Advocate>

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a job, you waster?

</Devil's Advocate>

;)

NickInTheNorth
06-Dec-07, 21:13
what when I can get others to support my sky and broadband habit?

You must be kidding :D

karia
06-Dec-07, 21:17
<Devil's Advocate>

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a job, you waster?

</Devil's Advocate>

;)

That's a bit like...' I think you are... *! lol ... so you can have a pop but make like you are joking!

If it is your opinion then state it and stand by it..

if not then why say it in the first place?:confused

*Whatever insult you choose to insert

Karia

Metalattakk
06-Dec-07, 21:19
Then their dastardly plan is doomed to fail. :roll:

Metalattakk
06-Dec-07, 21:21
That's a bit like...' I think you are... *! lol ... so you can have a pop but make like you are joking!

If it is your opinion then state it and stand by it..

if not then why say it in the first place?:confused

*Whatever insult you choose to insert

Karia

Get down off your high horse. NitN took it in the spirit it was intended. End of. [evil]

karia
06-Dec-07, 21:48
Get down off your high horse. NitN took it in the spirit it was intended. End of. [evil]

Can't afford a high horse.....just a shetland pony...damn these benefit cuts!:lol:

Karia

scorrie
06-Dec-07, 22:41
Can't afford a high horse.....just a shetland pony...damn these benefit cuts!:lol:

Karia

Good comeback!!

rainbow
06-Dec-07, 23:51
I think hotrod4 is being rather harsh. The staff at the Job Centre have their hands 'tied', and are unable to work around the system, and they are not happy with the way things are going - hence the strike. I sympathise with NickInTheNorth, but that is the Governments fault, not the staff who work at the Job Centre. Call Centres what a joke - you would have thought the government would have learnt its lesson with regard to centralisation and call centre - look at the CSA and the Tax Credits system!!!!! Staff are leaving in droves as working for the civil service can be so frustrating and the ability to genuinly help people was lost once the DSS shut its doors.

hotrod4
07-Dec-07, 14:47
I think hotrod4 is being rather harsh. The staff at the Job Centre have their hands 'tied', and are unable to work around the system, and they are not happy with the way things are going - hence the strike. I sympathise with NickInTheNorth, but that is the Governments fault, not the staff who work at the Job Centre. Call Centres what a joke - you would have thought the government would have learnt its lesson with regard to centralisation and call centre - look at the CSA and the Tax Credits system!!!!! Staff are leaving in droves as working for the civil service can be so frustrating and the ability to genuinly help people was lost once the DSS shut its doors.

Maybe its more of a training issue then?
Isnt that a contradiction when you think I have been harsh then go on to slag off call centres yourself?
or am I reading it wrong.

P.S used to work in a call centre, hard work but there was alot of "gaps" in training with some of the people they employed.Its more to do with the person than the job.