PDA

View Full Version : a warning for dog walkers

MISS K
06-Dec-07, 15:31
Just a post to let other dog walkers be aware of a couple who concerned me the other evening. Harry was off lead and trotting a few feet ahead of me he approached the couple quietly would probably have sniffed then carried on, but before he got a chance the lady dived behind her husband, she had a walking pole in her hand and as harry approached she started pointing a device to harrys head (red flashing lights), her husband then grabbed harry by the collar, by this time we are up to the couple asking them whats going on...the gentleman said nothing except "take your dog", i told him harry was not vicious and if he was he would be on a lead, the lady then said "i have a hearing aid that dogs dont like the sound off and bite me"!!!!
This really bothered me, as what if harry wasnt as laid back as he is, not all dogs would appreciate being grabbed by a stranger, also not all dogs would react calmy to flashing lights at their head, also why wear something that is clearly dangerous, too many things about the couple disturbed me, so i have spoken to the "deaf care centre" where they have advised me that there is no hearing aid available that would cause a dog to attack, they did some enquiries and asked the audiology department, and they have never heard of this ever, if a hearing aid is fitted properly it wont even give off a noise, and certainly not to turn a dog vicious.
I have been on the net and found devices that keep unfreindly dogs at bay, for the likes of posties, what this couple did the other night was just target a perfectly good natured dog, even the way they were behaving made me feel very uncomfortable, i just dont want this to happen to a timid dog, who may end up at the recieving end of the walking pole, who wont appreciate being grabbed, and then startled by the lights.

justine
06-Dec-07, 15:52
Sorry to hear your dog and you had to go through this but it might help others if you say where abouts you were walking when this happened.....I never meet anyone where i walk my dog so having a place to beware of would be good...

MISS K
06-Dec-07, 15:56
Ha ha i was so busy trying to write the post in a tactful way, so i wouldnt get ambushed, which always happens to me on here i forgot to say where it happened, your sooo right...Thurso, along the top of the beach, cheers justine:D

neepnipper
06-Dec-07, 22:27
Very odd, maybe someone should poke flashing red lights in her face and grab her round the neck!

If her hearing aid has that affect on dogs (which I doubt) she shouldn't go walking where there are going to be dogs around and off the lead.

Silly people.

MISS K
07-Dec-07, 08:44
exactly, they are totally misinformed and one day some poor dog is going to react to their behaviour and i hate to think what will happen, totally bizarre, all it took was me to phone the deaf society to be told no , no hearing aid would cause that reaction, and they were amazed that the deaf woman would even think that she would be given a hearing aid that would make dogs attack her, she oviously has a fear which hasnt been addressed and they are blaming her "aid", and yes you would think if she is under the illusion that it did that WHY NOT TAKE IT OUT!!!!!