PDA

View Full Version : Sad fact of the day

Tugmistress
06-Dec-07, 09:51
This day in 1959, 12 men drowned when the Aberdeen trawler George Robb went aground at Duncansby Head as winds reached Force 15 (110mph) round Scottish coasts.

Cinders392
06-Dec-07, 10:12
Very interesting fact. Its important to remember the people who passed before us and to learn as much as we can from them to pass on.
Nature is a powerful thing

golach
06-Dec-07, 10:18
This day in 1959, 12 men drowned when the Aberdeen trawler George Robb went aground at Duncansby Head as winds reached Force 15 (110mph) round Scottish coasts.
And yet we complain about the price of Fish these days, What price do we put on the danger of the job of putting a fish supper on our plate?

Tighsonas4
06-Dec-07, 13:20
was it not the case that one of the lifesaving team took a heart attack and died by the time they got him to the lighthouse or was that a different incident??

kas
06-Dec-07, 15:08
Tighsonas 4 I think you are correct. I remember my mum telling me about this as my Grandad sat up all night listening to the radio for info, he himself was a fisherman. A very sad incident for all involved. By all accounts the weather that night was unbelievable.

horseman
06-Dec-07, 15:16
110 mph!!!God save us all ,especially the life boat men!

s.mack
06-Dec-07, 15:28
i have been out in 9s and 10s but a 15 would be 2 much poor men just shows the dangers of the job luckily i have it easy

Camel Spider
06-Dec-07, 16:07
I have experienced 80 Knots plus offshore and there is NO WAY I would be out in it in a Boat !! .. Major kudos to those who do.

weeksider
06-Dec-07, 17:18
My auntie's folk were helping @ the rescue

nanoo
06-Dec-07, 17:48
Like firemen, policemen and miners, the fishermen are worth their weight in gold. Would'nt want any of my friends or family doing their job. Brave, brave men.:~(

kas
06-Dec-07, 17:49
http://www.hansonclan.co.uk/Wick/george_robb1.htm

Report from the JOG

Another tragedy that happened a few days later was the Broughty Ferry Lifeboat.

The Broughty Ferry lifeboat, Mona, was launched in the early morning (8.12.59), as severe gales. Continued into a tenth day, to go to the aid of the drifting North Carr light vessel. At 9am Carnoustie Coastguard sighted the missing lifeboat aground at Buddon Ness. The bodies of seven of the crew were in the cockpit and another on the beach. The lightship’s crew were rescued by helicopter next day.