PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket Produce

scorrie
06-Dec-07, 02:04
Have any orgers heard of McLelland Cheddar or Tulip Bacon? As part of a study on brands, I wondered if these names were well known and trusted in the marketplace?

DeHaviLand
06-Dec-07, 02:29
Tulip is a large and well established bacon processor, but I think I only know McLellans cheese from Tesco.

George Brims
06-Dec-07, 02:35
Tulip bacon has been around forever. It is Danish, and they used to have a TV ad where these Dutch people are amazed to find that despite the name, it's not only not Dutch, but also very good.

TBH
06-Dec-07, 02:47
A. McLelland & Son Ltd, founded in 1850, is one of Britain’s largest producers of cheddar cheese and Scotland’s leading cheese manufacturer.
The McLelland family has been linked to cheese, one of Scotland’s greatest natural products, for over 150 years.

Our leading brand is Seriously® Strong. Launched in 1996, Seriously® Strong has become Britain’s most popular brand of strong (extra mature) cheddar. It has recently been awarded Supreme Champion at the 2007 British Cheese Awards.

Galloway, Scotland’s favourite family cheddar, is another of McLelland’s leading brands and has been part of Scottsh life since its launch in the early 1960's. In addition the Scottish product range is completed by McLelland Mature and Orkney cheddar.

http://www.mclelland.co.uk/

bluelady
06-Dec-07, 03:09
Im sure ive got Tulip bacon at the village store

thebigman
06-Dec-07, 12:45
Tulip has been around since I was a boy and that wasn't yesterday! Good quality among the massed produced bacon.

unicorn
06-Dec-07, 13:09
yup heard of both and tulip ham is lovely also :D

horseman
06-Dec-07, 15:31
C'ant help you there scorrie,tulips to me are smashing spring flowers an mccheddar sometimes turns up on my piece;)

NickInTheNorth
06-Dec-07, 15:36
tulip bacon I know, it's been around just about as long as I can remember. Very good product.

Don't remember the McLelland cheese though.

scorrie
06-Dec-07, 16:38
Thank you to all who have replied. I was of the opinion that Tulip was quite a big name as a bacon merchant. I had recently tried McClelland cheddar when it was half-price in Somerfield but was not sure of its status in the marketplace.

The reason I was asking this was to try to find out the real companies behind some of the "no-name" brands that appear in supermarkets. In Lidl there is a bacon that is branded Cygnet, it is an excellent product and I noticed in the small print that it is actually manufactured by Tulip. Similarly a cheddar branded Galpo in Lidl is actually made by McClelland. The only difference I could tell in the cheese was that it normally costs £3.70 for 400g in Somerfield, as opposed to £2.59 for 500g in Lidl.

I wonder how many other products that we assume to be no-name brands are actually made by more famous companies who are selling under their own name, at higher prices, elsewhere?

Bananas
06-Dec-07, 16:51
Tulip have a factory just a few miles from where I live, they are a Danish company, employing mainly Poles and Portugese. They are situated in the Norfolk town of Thetford, a toen famous as a London overspill town. I understand that the factory is about to close.

(Rumour has it, it will soon be a Russian missile factory employing Somali refugees who will be taken to work on Swedish bus with Indian rubber tyres. lol)

Can't wait until I move up north where I'll be the foreigner!