PDA

View Full Version : computer help

Billy Boy
05-Dec-07, 22:40
Can anyone give me some advice, what could the problem be when the brightness on the computer screen goes right down, then the computer either freezes or switches off.
Is it something that can be repaired or is it beyond repair?
thanks in advance for any advice.

Bobinovich
05-Dec-07, 23:02
Could be any number of things BB but I'd probably start with the graphics card on it's way out, or a fan not running right which is causing overheating.

First thing is to open the PC up (you can take the side panel off most modern desktops) and check (when the machine is turned on) that all the fans are running freely.

There will be one inside the power supply box (where the power plug goes in - look in through the grill) and one on the processor, and could also be one on the graphics card (which could be a card rising up from the motherboard, or may be integrated onto the motherboard itself), and maybe another fan on the inside of the case itself.

If they're all running OK then it's probably worth trying another graphics card in the PC to see if that's where the problem lies.

Let us know how you get on.

emb123
06-Dec-07, 12:33
I agree with Bobinovitch, try checking fans and graphics card, possibly even the monitor cable.

Is it a conventional (glass tube) CRT monitor or flat LCD/TFT type ?
Also does it fade, or does it go dark all of a sudden ?
When it goes dark, does it go completely black (possibly even power-save LED on monitor coming on) or does it change tint/colour?

Freezing is quite often an overheating problem (not always, but it's one of the first things to check), switching itself off is definitely usually a overheating problem and shouldn't be ignored.

Good luck :)

Billy Boy
10-Dec-07, 20:33
Its a friends computer & its a laptop, the problem seems to be with the connection on the computer for charging it up, they keep getting an error message { area connection unplugged } just wondered if is it possible to get this fixed ?

Sapphire2803
10-Dec-07, 21:13
The local area connection is the internet connection and/or connection to other computers in the house and this in itself won't cause the problem with the display.
Is the laptop an IBM T30 by any chance? they have a fault with the radeon graphics card which causes them to do this. I suppose there may be other laptops with the same graphics card and the same fault? maybe someone else on the forum would know?
Unfortunately, if the graphics card on a laptop is knackered you're in trouble. It's not like a desktop pc where you can just take it out and put a new one in. :(

Sapphire2803
10-Dec-07, 21:16
Hang on a mo....
Ignore at least some of what I said before
You say it just dims? sounds like a loose connection... hmmmm
Do you know anyone who is REALLY GOOD with a soldering iron?
Not just someone with a bit of practice, I mean someone who does this for a living to a high standard?
A bit fiddly, but usually a loose connection can be soldered.

emb123
10-Dec-07, 21:23
power connections on laptops are notorious for playing up. Some makes and specific models are worse than others. They can be repaired however replacing the connection is a rather drawn out task.

The part itself doesnt' cost much (roughly a fiver), but you have to dismantle half the laptop including the motherboard to get to it, then unsolder the existing faulty connector on the motherboard to solder a new replacement one in its place, then put it all back together again.

What make and model laptop is it ?

If the ethernet (network) connection is encountering problems for example from a bit of dodgy wiring, while it tries to establish/reestablish a connection, that can cause the pc to lockup; but the screen would remain on... as long as the battery lasts!

It does rather sound like you need someone to come and have a look to get to the root cause of the problem, especially if it is a faulty power connector on a laptop.

The area connection unplugged problem could be due to software configuration (e.g. drivers for the network adaptor in the laptop).

---------------
I'll start again but leave my first thoughts above...

Having re-read your initial problem description, it sounds like the problem is due to a faulty power connector. The DC input jack connection loses it's connection, the battery has no life in it and the screen brightness dims - that is sort of normal behaviour. The network connection would be lost if there were insufficient power to sustain it and eventually the laptop would shut down, very quickly indeed if the battery is pretty dead.

Probably what I would do is first, buy a new battery then when I was not using the laptop in a position where it was not fully supported and not moving (e.g. on a table) run it from the battery to save the power input conector from getting damaged. It should only be run from the mains adaptor when it is resting on a stable location otherwise you can damage the power connector and replacing it will be expensive.