PDA

View Full Version : best way to advertise yourself

K dragon
05-Dec-07, 16:23
okay best way to promote yourself....but heres the catch....you dont gig.

i have noticed a few people down the line that do industrial and com programming, cant gig. so as well as an interesting discussion, this should be a bit of help for myself and them.

on your engines.....start!!

K dragon
05-Dec-07, 19:48
why do i bother? :roll:

Deemac
05-Dec-07, 20:17
K Dragon,
Your into filming aren't you? Make a promo of yourself and post it on Youtube, Bebo etc. It's all the rage . . . . Keep it short and snappy.

The Internet is such a fabulous tool these days for such PR activities and with cheap readily available software / hardware, it doesn't need to cost much.

Take advantage of all the local scenery or get into 3D modelling / animation (or both combined!!) Makes for a great backdrop to your musical activities.:eek:

fred
05-Dec-07, 21:10
Take advantage of all the local scenery or get into 3D modelling / animation (or both combined!!) Makes for a great backdrop to your musical activities.:eek:

My usual warning about parting with money for software.

You can get it for free at:

http://www.openfx.org/about.html

Jeemag_USA
05-Dec-07, 23:55
Try streaking at a large sporting event, write the URL across yer bum [lol]

K dragon
06-Dec-07, 01:01
oohh i like the streaking one. bit chilly right now though. might....you know...shrink lol

ah deemac, excellent point. currently saving for a tv camera...yup tv camera. its quite expensive so could be a while. but its in my plans.

cheers guys

Jeemag_USA
06-Dec-07, 01:04
oohh i like the streaking one. bit chilly right now though. might....you know...shrink lol

ah deemac, excellent point. currently saving for a tv camera...yup tv camera. its quite expensive so could be a while. but its in my plans.

cheers guys

Yeah I was going to say don't do it at the winter olympics or anything, might get more of a laugh then any website attention :P

There is a girl here who has had two solid hits in the charts, her name is Feist ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=YZZ1Gd5qjc4 )and she also won a contract with Apple to advertise Ipod, and all because her music was on myspace, so people are looking at myspace and stuff like that. I woudl seriously consider getting your own website named after your artist name, I got min midnightmoses.com but haven't had time to do anything with it yet, and then just plug yourself wherever you can, myspace, bebo, music forums, audio forums etc etc, just be an internet whore basically. Once you get some attention, sign up at all these websites whee you can sell your own music as an independent artist, those ar good sites because they show stats of who is selling what and I gaurantee you record companies are watching those too.

Jeid
06-Dec-07, 09:35
What an interesting guitar style.

Jeemag_USA
06-Dec-07, 13:31
What an interesting guitar style.

her guitar playing reminds of a cross between Billy Bragg and Tracy Chapman. I like her voice, her two hits have been pretty damn good tunes too. 1,2,3,4 is in the charts here now, its the one they use for the IPOD ad here.

Flyermonkey
06-Dec-07, 19:41
Take up DJ-ing - it's pretty easy to do (I did it for a good few years, so it would have to be), all you need is a good set of tunes, tunes being way more important than technical ability. Most electronic acts that don't do gigs DJ instead, and get noticed that way.

A way to start is doing DJ support slots with bands that are gigging (playing before/after/in between) or set up your own pub gigs (and I don't mean playing Abba on a Friday night to the Bacardi Breezer crowd) or just at mates' or your own parties. It also gives you a chance to drop in a few of your own tracks and get a 'live reaction'.

If you get confident you can start mixing in your own tunes and samples with others - Ableton Live and DJ Tractor are great for live mixing and playing.

Blast!
07-Dec-07, 19:30
The fact that she is incredible pretty also helps!

And to be honest she didn't really get famous on the back of MySpace success. I think her work as a founding member of Broken Social Scene contributed far more to her exposure.

MySpace isn't such a great tool these days.

Without gigs, I'm not sure you can have much success - particularly so far away from any decent music scene.

K dragon
07-Dec-07, 20:25
ah, not looking for success, just a way to promote a little.

been working on my industrial/alternative orchestra music for about two years now. everyday. and i have about thirty finished tracks.

so my problem i guess is i have all this music. some im happy with, some not, and not sure what to do with it.

also not having a go at the local community, but the style i create isnt really big up here. so cant gig with it, someone said give a copy to skins dj, but to be honest even my more dance like tunes wouldnt be appropriate.

not stressing over it. just wanted the opinion of some musicians.

Jeemag_USA
07-Dec-07, 21:19
ah, not looking for success, just a way to promote a little.

been working on my industrial/alternative orchestra music for about two years now. everyday. and i have about thirty finished tracks.

so my problem i guess is i have all this music. some im happy with, some not, and not sure what to do with it.

also not having a go at the local community, but the style i create isnt really big up here. so cant gig with it, someone said give a copy to skins dj, but to be honest even my more dance like tunes wouldnt be appropriate.

not stressing over it. just wanted the opinion of some musicians.

I am doing the same kind of thing, but not ready for promotion yet. I have about 14 finished tracks and about a dozen I am working on. I got the go ahead to get the BOSS 12 track recording deck beginning of january so things will move faster. I am planning to keep going until I have about 30 tracks, then I am going to pick the ten I think are the best, or will fit best together then I am going to have them professionally produced onto CD and packaged, probably start with around 200. Then I am going to use some of the online sites to sell the album and individual songs really cheap and give people the option to buy the hard copy from my website. With the advent of song downloading and IPOD's you don't need to perform on stage to sell your music. I am however planning to perform once I get the right colection of people together. ONce I get the recording deck there will be a big swing in the style of the stuff I am putting out because I will be recording real guitar, drums, vocals, percussion etc and then adding my own special atmosphere and production skills behind that. I already work with a drummer and a guitarist every odd weekend playing live versions of some of the stuff I have done at each others houses, can't wait to get them onto the recordings, at the moment with a USB midi interface and a computer its not practical.

You should look into the various sites online where you can publicise your tracks or album, most of them take a small fee, say of you sell a song for a dollar they take 7 cents which is a pretty good deal. Sites like http://www.indie911.com/ is a perfect example of whats out there and a lot of people are visiting them and buying from them, plus you get rated and the more people check you out the more people become aware of you. Try also http://www.songcastmusic.com/lpx.php , http://www.arkade.com/ , and then of course there is Itunes, but a lot of these sites work off the Itunes platform.

the_big_mac
07-Dec-07, 22:01

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

K dragon
08-Dec-07, 15:38
cheers jeemag.

you think big mac?

i have had mixed reviews, a small few say yes you could and most of the majority say no.

thanks for the help guys.

Jeemag_USA
08-Dec-07, 15:50
cheers jeemag.

you think big mac?

i have had mixed reviews, a small few say yes you could and most of the majority say no.

Also check out this site, its pretty neat and easy to use http://www.digstation.com/

Also at the end of the day as far as critique goes, if you believe in what you are doing then go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

the_big_mac
08-Dec-07, 19:42
cheers jeemag.

you think big mac?

Hand them out, if they work then they might get played. Particularly if there is a DJ there on a band night. Would be the first time ive played local music and I certainly hope that it wouldnt be the last.