PDA

View Full Version : Discs

shazzap
03-Dec-07, 14:27
Does anyone know if you can get dvd discs bigger than 4.7GB.
Thank you

maidencaithness
03-Dec-07, 16:22
Does anyone know if you can get dvd discs bigger than 4.7GB.
Thank you

You get the dual layer ones with twice the capacity but you'll need a dual layer burner then you get to the pricier HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs. If your wanting to compact a film onto a disc use dvdshrink software so you can cut out the rubbish and if need be reducen quality to make it fit.

shazzap
03-Dec-07, 17:04
You get the dual layer ones with twice the capacity but you'll need a dual layer burner then you get to the pricier HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs. If your wanting to compact a film onto a disc use dvdshrink software so you can cut out the rubbish and if need be reducen quality to make it fit.

Thanks for info.
I have a duel layer burner so i will be ok with that.

Mr_Me19
03-Dec-07, 18:57
You can also get double sided disks. These basically just have a recordable surface on both sides. There are some players our there that are fine with this but with most you have to eject the disk and flip it over.

Tony
03-Dec-07, 21:46
I use Verbatim RW disks and can hold 8.5GB. For some reason they appear to be not so readily available in the shops in this country and wonder if the reason being that your drive can be damaged if it doesn't have dual layer capability when writing (makes you wonder why they sell dual layer drives when people have difficulty obtaining the disks though). When reading from them it does not matter the type of drive used. Noticed them on ebay.

maidencaithness
03-Dec-07, 22:43
I use Verbatim RW disks and can hold 8.5GB. For some reason they appear to be not so readily available in the shops in this country and wonder if the reason being that your drive can be damaged if it doesn't have dual layer capability when writing (makes you wonder why they sell dual layer drives when people have difficulty obtaining the disks though). When reading from them it does not matter the type of drive used. Noticed them on ebay.

The DL format has never really got going with the single layer fulfilling most peoples needs. I've had a DL drive in my PC for nearly 2 years and have only ever burned single layer discs. Plus the fact the the DL discs are about 3 times the price and many people find inserting layer breaks etc too much bother.

Tony
03-Dec-07, 23:29
The DL format has never really got going with the single layer fulfilling most peoples needs. I've had a DL drive in my PC for nearly 2 years and have only ever burned single layer discs. Plus the fact the the DL discs are about 3 times the price and many people find inserting layer breaks etc too much bother.

The ones I have are single sided and don't require layer breaks. I bought them in Walmart in the U.S.

maidencaithness
04-Dec-07, 01:04
The ones I have are single sided and don't require layer breaks. I bought them in Walmart in the U.S.

Yes depends on what software you use if it allows retention of original layer break (single sided single layer are maximum of 4.7gb therefore anything bigger must be dual layer or side or both for huge 16gb per disc storage) and hence just rip an ISO and burn away without any problems. The Verbatim +R DL's are the most reliable ones to use and can't go wrong with them generally.