PDA

View Full Version : Call that Music??!!

karia
02-Dec-07, 21:44
Time to vent!

Which contemporary musical 'stars' leave you cold as snow?

1) Katie Melua..no you are not the 'closest thing to heaven'..you just over enunciate!

2) James Blunt..you are not beautiful , you are a bit whiney though!;)

3) Mika....where should I start??

Karia

golach
02-Dec-07, 21:48
Time to vent!

Which contemporary musical 'stars' leave you cold as snow?

1) Katie Melua..no you are not the 'closest thing to heaven'..you just over enunciate!

2) James Blunt..you are not beautiful , you are a bit whiney though!;)

3) Mika....where should I start??
Karia
Karia, with respect, should this not be posted in the Music Forum?

Ash
02-Dec-07, 21:48
i agree with you on the 1st two but i LOVE mika!!!!:D

karia
02-Dec-07, 23:11
Karia, with respect, should this not be posted in the Music Forum?

Would that they were musically inclined golach.....but that thread is limited to Caithness music.

Sadly, these folks are widespread!:)

You might want to get your hoodie back V quickly!;)

kariax

Camel Spider
02-Dec-07, 23:18
Have to agree with Katie Meula as I would rather have a root canal done without anathestetic than listen to her.

I would have said James Blunt as well but having seen him take the mickey out of himself on Top Gear tonight I will leave him out, plus any guy who puts his sister on Ebay is a kindred spirit.

The only artist that I really cant stand is Alanis Morrisette. I would rather practice bleeding than listen to her.

Julia
02-Dec-07, 23:28
I can't stand Brian McFadden, ex Westlife, the very sight of him makes me feel sick.... and as for Amy Winehouse well.....

I love Mika though, they have a fresh and unique sound!

Bobinovich
02-Dec-07, 23:31
I moved this to the Music section which definately discusses more than just Caithness music, despite what the forum sub-title might say.

I'll return to this thread later once I've put my mind to it!

karia
02-Dec-07, 23:31
I was really hoping for a more general response to pop culture and have nothing to add to Caithness music past and present.

Unless Katie melua moves to Keiss!

Karia...!

Gleber2
02-Dec-07, 23:36
I was really hoping for a more general response to pop culture and have nothing to add to Caithness music past and present.

Unless Katie melua moves to Keiss!

Karia...!
It's all crap.!!!!!!!!!!

Jeemag_USA
02-Dec-07, 23:47
I don't understand what all the negativity is towards James Blunt right now, I have been listening to this stuff on the radio over here and I think it is excellent. How many of the humble listeners out there can write a song as good as "1973", yes we can all be great critics when we can't do it ourselves. I think "1973" is one of the most beautifully crafted and melodic songs I have heard in a very long time, its just brilliant, and he even managed to fit in a reference to one of my favourite songs "I can see clearly now, the rain has gone" Fair play to him.

James Blunt is a man that does not listen to critics, he does what he wants to do and those who don't like it don't have to listen. The man is a an extremely talented songwriter and musician and he has my utmost respect! Sorry to be blunt, but go out there and try doing it yourself befire pushing someone in the gutter!

karia
02-Dec-07, 23:49
Sadly it would seem that..

..that's the way..ah ha. ah ha...they like it!

I'm with trix on this one!;)

Karia

bluelady
02-Dec-07, 23:50
Had this emailed me today,I never saw the auditions bit of this, he may be raw, but he can certainly make you emotional. Amy Whinehouse, is aptly named, all she does is moan and whine and I think her singing is crap.

YouTube - BGT FINAL -Paul Potts high quality video/sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_5W4t_CBzg&feature=related)

karia
02-Dec-07, 23:57
I don't understand what all the negativity is towards James Blunt right now, I have been listening to this stuff on the radio over here and I think it is excellent. How many of the humble listeners out there can write a song as good as "1973", yes we can all be great critics when we can't do it ourselves. I think "1973" is one of the most beautifully crafted and melodic songs I have heard in a very long time, its just brilliant, and he even managed to fit in a reference to one of my favourite songs "I can see clearly now, the rain has gone" Fair play to him.

James Blunt is a man that does not listen to critics, he does what he wants to do and those who don't like it don't have to listen. The man is a an extremely talented songwriter and musician and he has my utmost respect! Sorry to be blunt, but go out there and try doing it yourself befire pushing someone in the gutter!

1973 was the year before he was born..but not before I was and it is very strange listening to him referencing my experience when he doesn't share it!

I may not like his music but how does that equate to 'pushing him in the gutter' ?:confused

Karia

Jeemag_USA
03-Dec-07, 00:00
James Blunt "1973"

"1973"

Simona
You're getting older
Your journey's been
Etched on your skin

Simona
Wish I had known that
What seemed so strong
Has been and gone

[Chorus:]
I would call you up everyday Saturday night
And we both stayed out 'til the morning light
And we sang, "Here we go again"
And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973
Singing "Here we go again"

Simona
Wish I was sober
So I could see clearly now
The rain has gone

Simona
I guess it's over
My memory plays our tune
The same old song

[Chorus x3]

And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973

You have to listen to the song to get the full feeling of it, its a great song, and its very personal and sung with heart! I love it, one of my favourite songs right now!

trix
03-Dec-07, 00:12
I may not like his music but how does that equate to 'pushing him in the gutter' ?:confused

Karia

it disna, not at all a,k. yer entitled til yer opinion, lek e rest o us.

when his 1st album came oot i playd it til dieth, now i cana bare til listen til it.

same thing when his 2nd one came oot. 1973 is a catchy tune, its on a radio alot but at e end o a day...its all crap :Razz

davem
03-Dec-07, 00:14
It's all crap.!!!!!!!!!! - nice one G2 a considered and thoughtful response. I only agree for that one on Mika, pap rather than crap but my daughter is a fan.
I however quite like Amy W. pity she's hovering around self destruct, I do like the sounds she puts out - a little too derived but well done.
Katie M. she is a talented singer, quite syrupy on occasion but I'd put her alongside Norah Jones as a polished and able musician.
James Blunt - I just don't like his voice - just personal preference.

I think they all suffer critically because seem universally liked, never a good way to gain acclaim

shazzap
03-Dec-07, 01:25
Had this emailed me today,I never saw the auditions bit of this, he may be raw, but he can certainly make you emotional. Amy Whinehouse, is aptly named, all she does is moan and whine and I think her singing is crap.

YouTube - BGT FINAL -Paul Potts high quality video/sound (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_5W4t_CBzg&feature=related)

Im with you on Amy Whiiinnnehouse

loganbiffy
03-Dec-07, 11:17
Yes have to agree on all 3 karia stated at the start of this thread.

God james Blunt is annoying!

However, i also cannot bear to hear bands like Razorlight, Coldplay, Kings Of Leon.......and the rest of the manufactured indie/rock bands that litter britain at the moment.

rob murray
03-Dec-07, 13:32
Yes have to agree on all 3 karia stated at the start of this thread.

God james Blunt is annoying!

However, i also cannot bear to hear bands like Razorlight, Coldplay, Kings Of Leon.......and the rest of the manufactured indie/rock bands that litter britain at the moment.

What exactly do you mean by "manufactured / indie rock bands" !! We have manufactured "pop" acts ( I would term manufactured to mean that songs are written by outside professionals, that professional PR companies manage the bands audience perception, that outside stylists "style" the act, that an outside producer / arranger shapes the band sound ) Nowadays all bands use PR, and every band in history has used outside producers at some stage of their career. Why single out "indie" and what exactly is "indie"

Flyermonkey
03-Dec-07, 14:35

Unfortunately for him, he didn't write it! James Blunt has a team of song writers that write his songs (and I don't mean his backing band). He is as much manufactured as everyone else who uses 'professional songwriters'....

Have to admit I find his stuff way too saccharin in that it is fine for the first couple of listens but after that it starts to make you feel sick... so you can put me firmly in the 'he will be up against the wall when the revolution comes' camp

Flyermonkey
03-Dec-07, 16:42
A quick follow up to my last post, I just had a look at James Blunts website to check who his writing partners are and they include ;

Ricky Ross from Deacon Blue (who has also written for Ronan Keating, Emma Bunton, David Sneddon & Gareth Gates)

Guy Chambers (Robbie Williams former writing 'partner', also written for Rachel Stevens & Will Young)

Amanda Ghost (Singer/songwriter in her own right but also wrote the no.1 Beautiful Liar sung by Beyonce & Chakira)

Also credited as a producer is Linda Perry (singer with 4 Non Blondes and writer for Pink, Gwen Steffani, Christina Aguilera & Kelly Osbourne)

Those were all just on the first album..... not really surprising 'Back To Bedlam' did so well!

karia
03-Dec-07, 16:47
A quick follow up to my last post, I just had a look at James Blunts website to check who his writing partners are and they include ;

Ricky Ross from Deacon Blue (who has also written for Ronan Keating, Emma Bunton, David Sneddon & Gareth Gates)

Guy Chambers (Robbie Williams former writing 'partner', also written for Rachel Stevens & Will Young)

Amanda Ghost (Singer/songwriter in her own right but also wrote the no.1 Beautiful Liar sung by Beyonce & Chakira)

Also credited as a producer is Linda Perry (singer with 4 Non Blondes and writer for Pink, Gwen Steffani, Christina Aguilera & Kelly Osbourne)

Those were all just on the first album..... not really surprising 'Back To Bedlam' did so well!

Hi Flyermonkey,

All that talent behind him and still he sounds bad...he must be trying really hard!:eek:

karia

Jeid
03-Dec-07, 20:44
I hate James Blunt. He's so annoying!

I went and saw Bill Bailey last month and he took the piss out of him for being a whiney git.

the_big_mac
03-Dec-07, 21:28
Any band that begin with "The" annoy the breasts off me!

Well for the exception of The Who. But im sure of they knew the quality of crap that was to follow them they would've just called themselves "Who".

Well thats what I like to think anyway :cool:

Julia
03-Dec-07, 21:32
I hate James Blunt. He's so annoying!

I went and saw Bill Bailey last month and he took the piss out of him for being a whiney git.

Bill Bailey is ssssooooooooo funny! That guy is a genius.

Jeemag_USA
03-Dec-07, 21:33

Well for the exception of The Who. But im sure of they knew the quality of crap that was to follow them they would've just called themselves "Who".

What about The The, I bet they really annoyed ya [lol]

Jeid
03-Dec-07, 21:50

Even The Wildhearts? The Clash? The Beatles?

K dragon
03-Dec-07, 21:59
were led zepplin not in the very early days referred to as "the" led zepplin.

sure i seen an article about that somewhere.

loganbiffy
04-Dec-07, 00:11
What exactly do you mean by "manufactured / indie rock bands" !! We have manufactured "pop" acts ( I would term manufactured to mean that songs are written by outside professionals, that professional PR companies manage the bands audience perception, that outside stylists "style" the act, that an outside producer / arranger shapes the band sound ) Nowadays all bands use PR, and every band in history has used outside producers at some stage of their career. Why single out "indie" and what exactly is "indie"

In all fairness the British music scene at the moment isn't exactly astonishing!
It churns out band after band like Razorlight, Coldplay, The View, Arctic Monkeys, The Twang and so on.
They are so boring and are constantly played on BBC Radio 1(god damn awful radio station.)
The idea of the thread was to state the music you don't like, why must i explain why i don't like it?

I just truly think it's awful and these bands are just listening to each others stuff and going "I could that slightly differently and people won't really notice"

The sad truth is people do notice.

Camel Spider
04-Dec-07, 00:21
Mate told me about a singer/songwriter called Joshua Radin so I have just had a look on youtube to see what I can find. Got to admit it wasnt my usual type of music but I have to admit I did like it.

See what you think .. worst case it is someone else to put down on the thread !!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlf08yTPiU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=06D_EFNGmOQ&feature=related

K dragon
04-Dec-07, 00:28
folks should check out frank turner.

amazing music and lyrics

Jeemag_USA
04-Dec-07, 01:04
Oh just thought of someone, for those fed up with the current crop of losers. Check out

RAUL MIDON

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ynk6W3qM9-w

(check out his version of Stevie Wonders "I just called to say I love you" on Herbie Hancock's "Possibilities" album, also a great album in itself, also see the movie of the making of that album for a great glimpse of Raul's abilities)

Truly brilliant!

rob murray
04-Dec-07, 10:35
In all fairness the British music scene at the moment isn't exactly astonishing!
It churns out band after band like Razorlight, Coldplay, The View, Arctic Monkeys, The Twang and so on.
They are so boring and are constantly played on BBC Radio 1(god damn awful radio station.)
The idea of the thread was to state the music you don't like, why must i explain why i don't like it?

I just truly think it's awful and these bands are just listening to each others stuff and going "I could that slightly differently and people won't really notice"

The sad truth is people do notice.

My point was that too many people use the term "indie" without defining what they mean, its seems to be a catch all term. Around 1993 Radio 1 decided to rid the station of all the smashy and nicey type DJ's and replace them with younger more in tune people. This also had a knock on effect on play lists which were made more relevant. ( If you think Radio 1 is bad now I can assure you it was virtually unlistenable back then ) In other words music deemed mariginal began to get played and this really led to the burst of bands ( termed Brit Pop ) who broke through around 1994/ 95 ( Pulp being the classis case ) setting the scene for radio favourites to the presenet day. The bands you have termed indie are actually mainstream rock ( radio centric ). Incidentally "classic rock bands" were rarely featured on radio 1 ( with the exception of Tommy Vance )

the_big_mac
04-Dec-07, 11:23
Even The Wildhearts? The Clash? The Beatles?

Aye min, especially the beatles. A sixties Take That, greatness fuelled by hype rather than any kind of musicianship or skill. I swear Macartney has spent his life since the beatles trying to prove that he's good at something. But that doesnt mean he was any good to start with.

loganbiffy
04-Dec-07, 12:10
folks should check out frank turner.

amazing music and lyrics

I agree, his old band Million Dead were awesome!

loganbiffy
04-Dec-07, 12:13
My point was that too many people use the term "indie" without defining what they mean, its seems to be a catch all term. Around 1993 Radio 1 decided to rid the station of all the smashy and nicey type DJ's and replace them with younger more in tune people. This also had a knock on effect on play lists which were made more relevant. ( If you think Radio 1 is bad now I can assure you it was virtually unlistenable back then ) In other words music deemed mariginal began to get played and this really led to the burst of bands ( termed Brit Pop ) who broke through around 1994/ 95 ( Pulp being the classis case ) setting the scene for radio favourites to the presenet day. The bands you have termed indie are actually mainstream rock ( radio centric ). Incidentally "classic rock bands" were rarely featured on radio 1 ( with the exception of Tommy Vance )

I see what you are saying but i wouldn't call bands like Razorlight and The View as Rock music, that said its really what the listener thinks.
I don't exactly agree on putting bands into a genre. I just don't like said bands music.

rob murray
04-Dec-07, 12:25
I see what you are saying but i wouldn't call bands like Razorlight and The View as Rock music, that said its really what the listener thinks.
I don't exactly agree on putting bands into a genre. I just don't like said bands music.

I agree, the thing is as time has moved on, the media ( lazy journalsim ) create new genres ie nu rave for one. This make things very difficult for bands starting off as they maybe claddified under a genre which positions them different to what they sound like. I mean what is rock music in 2007 and how is classified ? I would love to know, can anybody help me out here ?

fred
04-Dec-07, 13:41
My point was that too many people use the term "indie" without defining what they mean, its seems to be a catch all term.

I must admit that I had to look it up but I didn't have to read very far.

The grass roots innovate and if they produce anything of worth the money heads give it a name so they can market it, using its non commerciality as a selling point.

Not much changes.

rob murray
04-Dec-07, 14:22
I must admit that I had to look it up but I didn't have to read very far.

The grass roots innovate and if they produce anything of worth the money heads give it a name so they can market it, using its non commerciality as a selling point.

Not much changes.

Fred well put, I agree, but would take it a step further, the money heads, through disguised subsidiary labels, hoist pretend innovation on the public, whilst controlling the entire process and deluding mugs into thinking that they are consumming musical innovation.

Camel Spider
04-Dec-07, 14:33
Fred well put, I agree, but would take it a step further, the money heads, through disguised subsidiary labels, hoist pretend innovation on the public, whilst controlling the entire process and deluding mugs into thinking that they are consumming musical innovation.

People know what they like. I will be buying Josh Radin's CD and it is a big switch from what I normally listen to. I play the guitar and look forward to trying out some of his music.

I have never really heard his type of music before so I see it as me encountering something new which can surely only be a good thing.

rob murray
04-Dec-07, 15:00
[quote=Camel Spider;305893]People know what they like. I will be buying Josh Radin's CD and it is a big switch from what I normally listen to. I play the guitar and look forward to trying out some of his music.

Thats true

scorrie
04-Dec-07, 20:48
I have heard James Blunt used as Cockney Rhyming slang. Perhaps that is a bit harsh but I don't find his voice to be very melodious. Even listening to him talk is a bit of a chore. Just when I thought he might have a redeeming feature as a Horse Racing tipster, when guesting on CH4 last Saturday, he tipped up a donkey (New Alco) that sat last all through the race.

Good luck to him though, plenty people buy his stuff and he doesn't need to rely on a nag to bring home the bacon. Just keep him away from the Horse Racing!!

evelyn
11-Dec-07, 22:10

You`d have hated The The, then

robglysen
13-Dec-07, 08:14
I just start to hate anything that gets spammed to death on the radio, like winehouse and all those 'stars' who 'sheep' only buy cos the radio tells them to.

sphinx
03-Jan-08, 15:49
i played james blunt to the cd died and its dead

miranda
09-Jan-08, 22:18
well gotta say i HATE MIKA like james blunt but at eh moment luvin amy macdonald and i dinne mind a bit o kt tunstall

karia
09-Jan-08, 23:31
well gotta say i HATE MIKA like james blunt but at eh moment luvin amy macdonald and i dinne mind a bit o kt tunstall

with you my gal!

convince our 'mutual friend' aboot the AMY MCDONALD!

This is the life.......!

kariaxx

WeeBurd
09-Jan-08, 23:57
Nooooo - I had to turn over the telly at New Year when that Amy MacDonald burd came on... her voice is so throaty, it was actually making me gag, I felt physically sick. It was very unpleasant for my lugs (and throat) [lol]. I don't think her voice will be able to hold out for very long if she continues to sing like that...

But I do agree on Katie Mellua - she makes my skin crawl for all the wrong reasons! Something about her ever-perky hair annoys me too :confused.