PDA

View Full Version : Gnomewhere To Stay !

barmar62
02-Dec-07, 13:33
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/snowgoose88/rumster-1.png

danc1ngwitch
02-Dec-07, 13:39
brought smiles and warmth lol

barmar62
02-Dec-07, 17:15
lol, did u see what he was up2 on saturday? :lol:

Torvaig
02-Dec-07, 18:16
Was that him on the back of the police vehicle?

barmar62
02-Dec-07, 18:46
:lol: yes that was Norman then aswell lol im saying no more apart from that he will be cropping up every so often in various places so watch this space :lol:

johno
02-Dec-07, 19:16
:lol: yes that was Norman then aswell lol im saying no more apart from that he will be cropping up every so often in various places so watch this space :lol:
has he got any relative,s in scapa floe.??/

barmar62
02-Dec-07, 20:16
not as far as i know :lol:

plumber
02-Dec-07, 21:33
Sure I saw his brothers living in Reiss

johno
02-Dec-07, 22:26
not as far as i know :lol:
just wondered as i read in some newspaper that there is a diver going about putting gnomes under the sea. some in scappa.???

barmar62
02-Dec-07, 23:50
I havent heard about that, Norman cant swim :lol:

johno
03-Dec-07, 00:51
I havent heard about that, Norman cant swim :lol:
He could learn ?:cool:

johno
03-Dec-07, 00:57
A SECRET gnome garden at the bottom of Wastwater has been blamed for the deaths of a number of divers.

But police efforts to remove the gnomes have been thwarted as the underwater garden ornaments have been quickly replaced.

Local divers say they have known about the collection for years.

“It’s a bit of a secret society among divers which no-one is meant to know about,” said Paul Renucci, an experienced diver from Carlisle.

“But now the secret has been revealed.

“Divers from all over the country have been coming to Wastwater for years to visit the garden and have tried to keep it quiet.

“I’ve seen around 40 gnomes down there but there must be more. They are all over Wastwater.”

The police’s North West Regional Underwater Search Unit removed the gnomes, after they were blamed for attracting divers to the murky depths of the lake.

But so far they have failed to stop divers adding to the gnome collection.

One gnome is sitting on a wooden aeroplane while another is cemented onto a brick. Another has a lawnmower and one has been affectionately named Gordon.

Plans are also afoot to create a similar gnome garden in Ullswater and divers have been busy creating signposts saying “gnome garden, this way”.

The gnomes can be found near an area known as the Pinnacles, where there are also commemorative plaques dedicated to divers who have lost their lives in the lake.

There’s even a rope leading directly to the garden and precise directions to it can be found on the internet.

PC Steve Carruthers, who has been a member of the police dive team for 14 years and supervised the underwater police investigation in Coniston after the discovery of Carol Park’s body, said: “It was a big attraction.

“People were driving from all over the country to see it. Tragically, we had three fatalities in quick succession so it had to be removed.”

Rob Watkins, who is chairman of West Cumbria Sub Aqua Club, visited the garden around a year ago.

He said: “There is a temptation for divers to exceed their depth so they do need to be careful.

“The gnome garden was created because there is very little to see in the lakes.

“It gives divers something to visit.

“Wastwater was probably chosen because it has the clearest water.

“When people see the gnomes they think they are hallucinating,” he added.

plumber
03-Dec-07, 09:17
Did Norman find somewhere to stay last night

barmar62
03-Dec-07, 10:03
Norman hitched a lift ( not on a police car this time!) to Dunnet forest last night thanks, he is having a long lie this morning but will be out and about later today.:lol:

plumber
03-Dec-07, 18:44
Hope he finds somewhere warm tonight, sounds pretty stormy out there at the moment

barmar62
03-Dec-07, 23:44
Norman's having to stay in a layby just up the road from rumster, , did you spot him ?:lol: