PDA

View Full Version : To Do or not To Do?

Angela
02-Dec-07, 13:17
I'm a great one for making "To Do" lists -especially noticeable at this time of year....

There's a sort of general list, with everything on that more or less covers the rest of my life :eek:!...then lots of extra ones like shopping lists, packing for going on holiday lists, home improvements lists, Christmas pressies lists and so on....

Making a list initially makes me feel calmer and more in control, and crossing things off does bring a certain glow of satisfaction......but I do sometimes wonder if I wouldn't get more done if I just got on with things and didn't spending all that time making and updating the lists...and then feeling bad when I don't get things done! [evil]

Is it only me? Or do other Orgers feel their lives can be dominated by the tyranny of the To Do list?

Anne x
02-Dec-07, 13:34
Angela I am the worlds worst with Lists I have them for everything lists that cancel lists out It does OHs head in !! but worst part of all I am bad for leaving them at home when out shopping and come home with all the wrong things especially grocery shopping at this time of year I have a present list ,card list, food list and things that have to be done list before the family arrive
maybe your right tear the lot up [lol]

karia
02-Dec-07, 13:49
I have lists of my lists!:eek:

karia

Angela
02-Dec-07, 14:38
I have lists of my lists!

karia

Well that too, karia....;)

I feel it's getting to the stage that tomorrow's list will have to start "GET UP!" or I won't even be able to get out of bed in the morning....:roll:

Would it be liberating or just scary to bin the lot I wonder?

karia
02-Dec-07, 14:52
It would be liberating right up to the point you forgot something REALLY important.:(

As I do all the shopping for two households if I went 'listless' it wouldn't be long before I got lynched! :)

karia

Torvaig
02-Dec-07, 14:54
Me too.....I blame a dear friend of mine with whom I worked for many years (it's all right; she got a medal ;)) and she taught me how to prioritise the functions that had to be carried out each day. Every evening before we went home, we make up a list of things to do for the next day in priority order (though that could change throughout the day) and those that didn't get done (near the bottom of the list) were carried forward to the next day. A great feeling when there was nothing to carry forward but it didn't happen very often!

I still do my list and again, prioritise and as has been said, wonderful when you can cross them off one by one. Some days none get done and others when I am in full gear, disappear like "snow off a dyke!" Great feeling! :lol:

golach
02-Dec-07, 15:48
I am a great believer in Mrs G's "To Do" lists, I believe in tearing them up, or adding them to my mental "Ok I'll get around to that when I feel like it" list

Kenn
02-Dec-07, 17:11
I don't and never have made lists, I prefer to do things as they occur or as they take my fancy and am frequently diverted by the everyday things that cause me to stop,giggle,smile and reflect on life.
Surprisingly I am quite organised despite my attitude to things.

Maybe it's the cornish in me, we do things "Dreckly!"

helenwyler
02-Dec-07, 20:44
Lists are fine things... when you can find them[lol]!

Short of stapling them to my person, they are of little use to me as I mislay them regularly, and go out leaving them pinned to the noticeboard:eek:!

I still make them tho'...and am reasonably organised. I think just writing the list helps me remember. Sometimes I can 'see' the list in my head tho' the original is unavailable!!

karia
02-Dec-07, 21:30
Those memory skills are useful Helen,

I have often discovered I am 'suddenly' without my list half way round the supermarket and have to retrace my steps item by item to locate it...

..once it was in the hands of a fellow sufferer who had laid down her list only to pick up my list by mistake.:eek::D

Poor creature..she lived our lives, if only momentarily!

karia

helenwyler
02-Dec-07, 21:57
Well at least you take it with you, karia[lol]!

Sometimes I devise strategies to help when I've left the list at home...and I go round the supermarket muttering things like "Three things beginning with B...butter, batteries and bananas":eek:.

One day I'm sure I'll be guided gently up to the manager's office.

Margaret M.
02-Dec-07, 23:13
I was an avid list person when I was younger. Before vacation, every item to be packed was on a list but not anymore. I usually start a grocery list and add to it as I run out of something. I definitely need a list if I'm shopping for a dinner party, etc. I keep paper and pen by my bed so I can jot something down that may otherwise keep me awake fretting that I may forget it by morning. On days that I have lots of stuff to get done, I will list everything and mark it off as I go.

Julia
02-Dec-07, 23:40
I always have a list for packing, the kids have a list too and so does the dog!

Anything important like an appointment I have to save on my mobile and it reminds me an hour beforehand... I'd be in a right mess without it!

karia
02-Dec-07, 23:43
Well at least you take it with you, karia

Sometimes I devise strategies to help when I've left the list at home...and I go round the supermarket muttering things like "Three things beginning with B...butter, batteries and bananas".

One day I'm sure I'll be guided gently up to the manager's office.

I take EVERYTHING with me helen...bloomin' heck I might snag a nail or something!:eek:

There's a holiday spoiled!:lol:

karia

WeeBurd
02-Dec-07, 23:51
My name's WeeBurd, and I'm a list addict... :eek:

OK, well I could be worse, but yes, I do like my lists. I would never even consider going away for a day or more without writting a list of everything I need to take, and need to do before I go.

Shopping lists - yep, I pretty much start a new one as soon as I get home from the supermarket. There's always one lying on the kitchen worktop in varying states of completion. And 8 out of 10 times, we get about a mile out of the village before we have to turn back because I've forgotten the list again :lol:.

alanatkie
02-Dec-07, 23:54
I did try to make list especially for shopping then forget to take them with me so ow i just give up if i remember i remember & if i dinna i dinna :lol:

Jeemag_USA
02-Dec-07, 23:55
Angela making a list of goals shows a great deal of self discipline and its something to be proud of! Sometimes in life we really mean to do something that can make a change, but we get sidetracked and forget stuff. So making a list shows a lot of conviction from yourself and determination to get things done and thats something to be proud of!

Anne x
03-Dec-07, 00:49
Thanks for that jeemag makes me feel whole lot better [lol]

Elenna
03-Dec-07, 02:10
My grandma Always had everything on her (usually quite lengthy) to-do list ticked off every day, and the satisfaction it gave her was delightful. I was in my early 20's before she shared just how she managed to have such success....

Instead of writing the list first thing in the day and struggling to complete all the tasks and then tick them off, she would leave the paper blank, and then only write on and tick what she had completed once it was done! :lol:

I always thought there were a couple good lessons in that, somehow.

htwood
03-Dec-07, 03:05
I make short lists at work. My work is often interuppted and a list keeps me focused. At home, we keep a small chalkboard on the fridge and write down things we need from the shop, its really helpful. But I dont rewrite or reorganize lists, they last a day or two and then they're done.

Angela
03-Dec-07, 11:21
Angela making a list of goals shows a great deal of self discipline and its something to be proud of! Sometimes in life we really mean to do something that can make a change, but we get sidetracked and forget stuff. So making a list shows a lot of conviction from yourself and determination to get things done and thats something to be proud of!

Thank you Jeemag, that's made me feel so much better about myself! :D

Although I think it could be because I have very little natural self discipline that I need to list my goals in the first place! ;)

karia
03-Dec-07, 14:50
My MIL is a bit of a list fiend and every time we go over to see her just after the initial pleasantries have been exchanged..out comes the 'To Do' list and we can gauge by the length of it if we are likely to get home that night.:eek:

We don't get to leave until the last task is ticked off, by which time so are we!:lol:

Karia

cuddlepop
03-Dec-07, 15:52
I try to achieve three things in one day.Dont write them down just make a list in my head,the most important one first.

Sometimes this works,sometimes it doesn't but it stops me feeling swamped which is great.:D