PDA

View Full Version : kids in Thurso

dandod
01-Dec-07, 12:34
when i was in Thrso last night waiting for a bus ther was about 100 kids in 3 different groups probably from the age of 11-16 years this was acout 10.30 at night. they were very noisy some had been drinking. i was very surprised when the police went past a couple of times they never moved them on. then all of a sudden a man came up to a boy who must have been about 12 and punched him in the face. within about 1 minute the police had pulled over none of the kids moved on it was like a rugby scrum. they questioned the older boy and i think they took him away.why do the police wait for a child to be assaulted by a man before they did anything or asked the kids to move on???

danc1ngwitch
01-Dec-07, 12:39
i dana think the guy was taken away, oh and btw, very few of the kids were accually drinking.
Kids do need to have fun, and if there are a few stray ones drinking you cana blame the innocent.
Where do they accually go??? There is few places for kids to hang out. When u get say a few ppl together ocoarse there are noise. I got 6 kids[lol]
Oh p.s it was adults that was drinking and making the fuss, so apoligy for the kids would b good.

dandod
01-Dec-07, 12:47
well you may be right but if you think its ok for a man to punch a kid in the face and think its ok for kids to hang out in large groups in the town certre late at night when any 12 your old probably should be in bed this your opinion i accept that.....

danc1ngwitch
01-Dec-07, 12:50
the lad was 15 and i do think there is no harm in the kids enjoying themsels. Like i said it was ADULTS making the fuss drunk outta their faces, so the kids left at around 10.45pm, and only left but a few kids. The police cannot give the kids in trouble when they ain't doing nuttin.:roll: lighten up, let kids b kids

davem
01-Dec-07, 13:14
What should be said is that there was an event on for kids at the tennis courts. Supervised, no drinking or drunkeness permitted. Took my daughter along who had an excellent time. If you read the above posts it sounds like there are kids swamping thurso every night, as it was they were on their way home from an organised event.
I saw nothing that would do anything other than credit to the organisers and teenagers who attended.

starry
01-Dec-07, 13:27
I hope the boy who got punched is ok.

EDDIE
01-Dec-07, 14:13
the police was at fault for not doing there job properly the policeman should have made the kids move on you have to remember it can be for some people intimidating seeing a big group of kids together seeing big groups together is a recipey for bad behavour

Mr_Me19
01-Dec-07, 14:27
when i was in Thrso last night waiting for a bus

Your lucky. I was waiting for a bus in Thurso last night and the driver decided to drive straight past. He saw us (thats 4 of us standing right underneath the sign), started to slow down, then sped up again. Was not happy. Sorry to highjack your thread but I had to mention my disgust with the buses just now. Hope you managed to have more luck that me!

danc1ngwitch
01-Dec-07, 14:40
the police was at fault for not doing there job properly the policeman should have made the kids move on you have to remember it can be for some people intimidating seeing a big group of kids together seeing big groups together is a recipey for bad behavour
it was the adults, that was more at the misbehaving. Yes the police should have moved the adults on.

hotrod4
01-Dec-07, 14:43
Its the same in Castletown.
We came from Wick to visit the Indian. I went inside while wife and three kids waited in the car.They circled round the car and kept peering in. All this while the police passed. When I eventually got my order they had all moved down to the shop and were spinning about on the road on bikes with no lights. There was at least 20 of them. A couple of them "clocked " the car and started laughing. My cars not that funny!!!. While on the way back the car started to play up and wasnt responding the same as if the exhaust was blocked and misfiring, i think they must have put something in my exhaust which has cleared thankfully by this morning. I am fuming and pity help them the next time i return to castletown, as they could have caused an accident with my kids in the car.
Seems neds are everywhere :(

golach
01-Dec-07, 15:03
We came from Wick to visit the Indian. I went inside while wife and three kids waited in the car.They circled round the car and kept peering in. All this while the police passed. When I eventually got my order they had all moved down to the shop and were spinning about on the road on bikes with no lights. There was at least 20 of them. A couple of them "clocked " the car and started laughing. My cars not that funny!!!. While on the way back the car started to play up and wasnt responding the same as if the exhaust was blocked and misfiring, i think they must have put something in my exhaust which has cleared thankfully by this morning. I am fuming and pity help them the next time i return to castletown, as they could have caused an accident with my kids in the car.
Now now Hotrod, they were only having a little fun, probably because they were bored. You cannot help it if these little hooligans
darlings, think it is okay to damage your car, why should you have a car anyway, they have only got bikes!!!!!
They are someones children, and where are the parents when their little sweetnesses are running amok in the streets drinking, this is not unique to Castletown or Thurso....this is endemic in all our towns and cities, bring back Corporal Punishment I say, a wee touch of a birch would soon solve this.

danc1ngwitch
01-Dec-07, 15:44
My 2 lads were out wea another friend, and they say there was a whole gang of ppl, but they were at the shop. Might av been a different time.
I did ask them had they anything to do wea this, but they dana hang wea these other's.
It's a shame that they have to set fear into ppl, that ain't right.

danc1ngwitch
01-Dec-07, 15:58
They are someones children, and where are the parents when their little sweetnesses are running amok in the streets drinking, this is not unique to Castletown or Thurso....
Sitting in their posh house's baming it on the kids that done nuttin. Usual for castletown, " not my so an so it was yon so an so u know wot they lek" [evil] >>><<<<

EDDIE
01-Dec-07, 16:54
it was the adults, that was more at the misbehaving. Yes the police should have moved the adults on.

there is no smoke without fire the only thing i would say in defence for the kids is i feel sorry for them because there is not much up there for them to do compared with kids that live in the city

golach
01-Dec-07, 17:19
Sitting in their posh house's baming it on the kids that done nuttin. Usual for castletown, " not my so an so it was yon so an so u know wot they lek" [evil] >>><<<<
You could be right about one thing that living in a posh house helps you to get away with things, see the link below and these 4 were allegedly educated young men, and look what they were found guilty of, so its not just teenagers from a less privileged background that commit crimes against society, its the minority made up of mindless thugs that do these crimes, and they are crimes not teenage pranks.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1862759.0.top_school_party_yobs_spared _jail.php

starry
01-Dec-07, 19:13
I read that earlier in the week Golach, it made me furious.

Ricco
02-Dec-07, 11:13
You could be right about one thing that living in a posh house helps you to get away with things, see the link below and these 4 were allegedly educated young men, and look what they were found guilty of, so its not just teenagers from a less privileged background that commit crimes against society, its the minority made up of mindless thugs that do these crimes, and they are crimes not teenage pranks.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1862759.0.top_school_party_yobs_spared _jail.php

This is a prime example of why we have so much trouble nowadays. These young thugs (and others like them) don't learn the true lesson. They will simply think "well, that wasn't so harsh" and feel that they can do it again - protected by their position. Some people are born with a thugish element and need a firmer hand to bring them into society. Thankfully, most lads and lasses know how to behave, even after a couple of drinks, and I commend them.

hotrod4
02-Dec-07, 14:31
there is no smoke without fire the only thing i would say in defence for the kids is i feel sorry for them because there is not much up there for them to do compared with kids that live in the city

That is an excuse that has been banded about for years. Kids that live in more rural areas dont get up to mischief the same.What they do is adapt to their surroundings and make the most of it.
Is it any wonder there is nothing for them when all they seem to do is destroy things.I used to run discos for kids to keep them off the streets but all they ever did was destroy the property and get drunk etc so I had to stop.
I am still fuming as to what they did to me as the consequences could have been fatal.I will be returning to castletown and will not be scared away by these yobs,pity help them if they try the same again!

jay
02-Dec-07, 18:34
I must admit that I am very concerned about the amount of youngsters who roam Thurso in packs at night these days or should I say nights! ok these kids may not be doing anything wrong but when I am coming home at midnight I am concerned to see kids as young as 12 or so hanging about swing parks and street corners. So there is not much to do in Thurso at night, I appreciate that point of view but quite frankly these kids should be at home and supervised and it's time the parents were made to take responsibility. I have two daughters, they were never allowed to hang around like this, they were taken to and collected from where ever they were going and we always knew where they were likewise they always knew where we were and how to contact us. Sadly Thurso is catching up with the rest of the world.

unicorn
02-Dec-07, 18:51
I do find it rather disconcerting when I come across a mob of them in the back streets.
I also feel that it is unfair on elderly people having to walk past them all at the enterance to the precinct as they do give people a lot of cheek and it is very disrespectful.
Why should elderly people feel that they are safer to take the less well lit back streets than the central route so that they can avoid this hassle.
I understand completely that it is not all kids who are bad and that these kids are not particuarly bad but a bit more respect to people would not go amiss.
Why the need to shout things such as "where's your nurse, does she know you have escaped" or " you shouldn't be out without a zimmer" at people just trying to go home in peace.

Mister Squiggle
02-Dec-07, 20:24
Loutish behaviour and intimidation aside, the very fact that young children are out on the streets late at night strikes me as tragic.
When I head home from work during the week, sometimes my shift ends close to midnight. Regardless of the late hour, I often see children (and I really do mean children) hanging around the top of Traill Street near the pedestrian mall with nary an adult in sight. I expect it happens in Wick, as well as Castletown, and it certainly happens in my village.
Whether they are abusing passersby or not, what in the blazes are they doing out alone at that time? School will be on the next day, any passing weirdo could drive past and nab one, it's absolutely Baltic at this time of year anyway... It just strikes me as very, very sad.
If I was to cop a load of abuse from them, I'd probably be very, very angry to boot, but heavens to betsy, where are Mum and Dad in all this? Maybe at work like me and possibly unaware of where their children are, but is this a good enough excuse? I just can't get my head around this notion that it's just "kids enjoying themselves" if they are wandering around in the freezing dark looking for something to do. Enjoyment? It looks a lot like no one giving a stuff to me.
Someone has to carry the can for children being out so late and unsupervised and I'm a bit sick of people thinking it's normal for such young children to be standing around the streets in the midst of winter or in the middle of the night. It's not normal, it's not just what kids do, it's not just them having a bit of fun, it's downright foolish and irresponsible.
Rant over.

golach
02-Dec-07, 20:47
Why the need to shout things such as "where's your nurse, does she know you have escaped" or " you shouldn't be out without a zimmer" at people just trying to go home in peace.
One reason, Their parents!!!!!, louts like that have never been trained, and as any good parent and pet owner knows, you need to train your little darlings the difference between right and wrong, reguardless it it is human or animal, they both have to be taught respect

Angela
02-Dec-07, 21:12
This may seem a really daft question, but don't kids have homework any more? :confused

Weekday winter evenings, by the time my kids had had tea, helped with the dishes and so on, and done their homework, they were quite happy to potter about, watch a bit of TV and head to bed, apart from the one or two nights they were out at organised activities...or sometimes round at a pal's house -indoors -or they had friends round instead.

What they certainly weren't doing was wandering round outside in the cold and dark...

Am I just a dinosaur? :eek:

gem1982
02-Dec-07, 22:03
I past the group of kids but the police were there was not sure what was happening. There were loads of them out on the road so I had to cut up princes street cos there was little chance of us getting down through the lights sucessfully.

gem1982
02-Dec-07, 22:06
This may seem a really daft question, but don't kids have homework any more? :confused

Weekday winter evenings, by the time my kids had had tea, helped with the dishes and so on, and done their homework, they were quite happy to potter about, watch a bit of TV and head to bed, apart from the one or two nights they were out at organised activities...or sometimes round at a pal's house -indoors -or they had friends round instead.

What they certainly weren't doing was wandering round outside in the cold and dark...

Am I just a dinosaur? :eek:

Angela I dont think its a daft questions - I am only 25 and I was the same. My mum and dad were not so much strict but they were over protective of me growing up and when I was 16 my curfew was 10pm. Now when you drive around you see kids maybe 12 or 13 roaming the streets at like 11pm maybe even later. I aways had to tell my parents where I would be and who I would be with if they caught me sitting on street corners I was dead!

tenabowla
03-Dec-07, 15:34
i dana think the guy was taken away, oh and btw, very few of the kids were accually drinking.
Kids do need to have fun, and if there are a few stray ones drinking you cana blame the innocent.
Where do they accually go??? There is few places for kids to hang out. When u get say a few ppl together ocoarse there are noise. I got 6 kids[lol]
Oh p.s it was adults that was drinking and making the fuss, so apoligy for the kids would b good.

I feel it is a poor attitude on behalf of a parent to blame everthing and everyone apart from themselves that their kids find the most interesting thing in their lives is standing on streets at nights endlessly.

danc1ngwitch
03-Dec-07, 15:46
I got 6 children, 3 boy, 3 girl. I know my eldest who is 15 was there in thurso on the night in question at the event that was being held. I picked her up at 10:30pm, She saw this post and said " wow how unfair blame all o us when it was a bunch of drunken mithers and fathers pissed outta their minds all arguing".
I was in wick on sat night picking her up from her boyfriends ( oooo yes boyfriend )
On the street was a group of adults being moved by i think 2 police cars:eek: A group of youngsters around 13 to 15 year olds came round the corner making alot of noise and having fun. Nope they never got moved on. THEY WASNA DOING NUTTIN TO B MOVED ON FOR.
As for my 2 older lads, 1 is 13 the other 12, I know they do not hang out in the streets. I am a spy
Thought i would add to this by saying and no she was not in the group of youngsters.
Well being picked up in a KA that enough to make any kid point and laugh.
We now move onto prediduce of the car. ( did i spell that right?)

danc1ngwitch
03-Dec-07, 15:55
calling all kids back me up here[lol]
In the beginning
In the days afore drink.
We had nothing but the grass to smoke ( as in fire )
Our bare legs cut and wet from running through the stuff above.
Oh and even then that old caine stick was rough, so rough
wheres em kids to back me up ( an so the thread continues ):eek:

young_fishin_neep
03-Dec-07, 16:57
i was out that night (me being a kid) it wasnt that bad, it was the night of the lights turning on and im sorry but there were posters advertising people to be in town what do u expect it to be like on the streets?, there arent usaly that many people in town at that time, yes the police were bout they were taking care of the people who were drinking and such, i got asked if i was drinking and my coke bottle checked and i wasnt drinking but they still made sure! there were quite a few people in the organuised event in the tennis courts but to alot of us (15-16) it dont realy apeal, by the time it was half 9 most people were home or on ther way it was freezing and i know i had along way to walk i was heading home by half 9.

dont forget some kids are better than others! its a shame we all get branded with the same lable. nobody in this world is the same!

Ash
03-Dec-07, 17:01
it is a shame that all kids get branded the same, i live down the street and there alot of kids that are outside my house at all hours, but saying that its the older ones that wake me up after they have been to the pub

Solus
03-Dec-07, 17:28
Crikey, if their indoors parents are moaning at them to go and do something, when they are outdoors folk want them off the street. I agree some are cheeky to passers by, but challenge them and fire it right back at them !

Go easy on them, Caithness is hardly the centre of the universe and finding things to do and keep young minds occupied is not easy.

unicorn
03-Dec-07, 19:14
I don't see why anyone, but pensioners especially should challenge them, People should be able to go about their business without being intimidated. When I was a kid I used to go down the street, we had a good time, yes but we also kept our mouths shut to adults and respected authority and property.
The difference was though that if you had done anything like give cheek, someone would know who you were and tell on you and woe betide when you got home.
Everything these days seems to be turn the opposite cheek and I saw nothing attitude and that does not help.
I would rather someone came to my door or phoned me if they saw my child up to no good so I could deal with it there and then.

hillbilly
04-Dec-07, 23:24
In reply to the posting on this matter. I would like to offer some background information on the subject of the Youth Event at the tennis courts on Friday night. I am a member of the Outreach Youth Worker Team, who have been working with the Youths at night - down the street in all weathers - to find out what they would like to see happening in the town for their age groups. Over the last six months we have, I believe, gained the trust and confidence of the Youths who 'Hangout'. After extensive discussions, loads of craic and good ideas they decided that this was the type of event that they wanted. A group of Youths were asked to help make funding applications and then presented their ideas to a Funding Committee in Wick. Thanks to their excellent presentations and copious amounts of enthusiasm, funding was allocated for us to stage this event. After full consultations with the Police and other authorities the event was planned for Friday night.

We had over 150 Youths sign in then enjoy the workshops THEY had planned. Youths were dropped off by car, arrived by bus or walked to the event. When it had finished my collegue and I walked around the town to chat to the Youths to make sure they were OK, check how they were getting home and if they had any problems. Most were on their way home before 11pm, no one appeared under the influence at this time.

In reply to some of the individual comments; Jay, we have been working with the Youths for many months now and its' rare that we chat to anyone younger than 15year old late at night. I agree with Unicorn that some elderly people find these groups of Youths intimidating, but our aim is to get somewhere for them to 'hangout'. These Youths are bored and are not always enjoying themselves. They are just fed up being moved from one place to another with very little reason. Dancingwitch was extremally observent when making the comment about adults being very drunk. One adult even required help to cross the road outside the Central Hotel by - dare I say it - two Youths that had been to the event.
I would like to thank davem and young fishin neep for your supporting comments.

Finally I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the Youths who attended and the ONeill gear will be handed out as soon as possible.
As adults let's listen, really listen, to the Youths and work towards providing them with somewhere they want and would use.