PDA

View Full Version : Wick - Thurso Photographers

Anonymous
05-Jun-01, 21:15
Does anyone know of the photgrapher J.G Humphrey of Wick and Johnston of Wick and Thurso?

I have pics taken of my father by them and wonder how long they, or the next owners of the business kept the records.

Bill Fernie
06-Jun-01, 10:29
Not sure abou tthe thursop[potogrpaher but Johnson of Wick were in business for a very long time and the Wick Society who run the Wick Heritage Centre have a collection of many of their glass negatives and other negatives amounting to nearly 50,000 photographs. The son of the photographer wehotook most of the pictures is still alive andlives in Wick. He is in his nineties. The Wick Society have the copyright to most of the pictures taken by Johnson.

Someone else will know more about dates etc

Anonymous
06-Jun-01, 18:43
Thanks, Bill.

Tricia
26-Jun-01, 22:18
Hi

LOOKING FOR JOHNSTON

Cant help with photos but interested to know about any of the Johnston family still in Wick. James Johnston (photographer) b 1854 d 1922 was my great grandfather. He married Christina Cormack (my great grandmother). I was born a MORE in Wick. Live now in England.

Anonymous
30-Jul-01, 15:24
Regrettably, the records of JG Humphrey, photographer, Wick (my grandfather) with very few exceptions were destroyed when he retired. Only a handful of 'originals' survived from the Kenneth Street premises. Sorry we can't be of more help.

Regards,

Anonymous
07-Aug-01, 21:22
I also have Caithness connection through CORMACK, WATERS, (secondary names: MILLER, OAG, GOU, SWANSON, FINDLAYSON). I have three photos from the Johnston studios: two of Francis CORMACK and his wife Dora WATERS with one child, a single photo of just Dora. They were taken about 1888.

You can see them at http://home.pacbell.net/len_g/MacCormackPhotos.html