PDA

View Full Version : Considerate Drivers

highlander
30-Nov-07, 13:18
I would like to give some positive feedback, we were delighted driving down to inverness this week when four lorrys pulled over to let traffic past, when the first one did it, i said to hubby "Oh what a nice chap" lol then the second one further down the road, i said "gawd this is great" by the time it was the third, i said "have you got something stuck on the front of the car, they are letting us all pass"? lol ok by the time the fourth pulled in, i was sitting like a cheshire cat, lol awwwwwwww but it did not last, the next lorry it was "grrrrrrrr what a blooming pest, cant he be nice and pull over. lol
So all you lorry drivers i wish i took down the names on your trucks so i could give you all gold stars.

JammyDodger69
30-Nov-07, 13:27
Aye they are a rare breed, but there are a few considerate drivers around, kinda puts ur faith back into driving again when you do come across considerate drivers, but I think you were hoggin them all when you got 4 of them ;)

Rourkee
30-Nov-07, 13:49
With a 40 mph speed limit for lorries up here on our roads and very tight driving hours regulations most drivers can't afford to keep pulling over every few miles to let everyone else past.
It's certain caravaners (not all) that bug me, no deadlines, no hurry and no intention of pulling over.

wavy davy
01-Dec-07, 01:01
With a 40 mph speed limit for lorries up here on our roads

40mph - If that is true and they stuck to it the roads would be a nightmare. Is the limit 40mph?

changilass
01-Dec-07, 01:05
With a 40 mph speed limit for lorries up here on our roads and very tight driving hours regulations most drivers can't afford to keep pulling over every few miles to let everyone else past.
It's certain caravaners (not all) that bug me, no deadlines, no hurry and no intention of pulling over.

How do you know that the caravaner does not have a deadline to keep to, if they are heading for a ferry for instance or heading home for a shift at work.

I think as with all people there are good and bad with drivers of all types of vehicles.

unicorn
01-Dec-07, 01:06
I was just thinking that too, is that correct 40 mph? they go way faster than that :eek:
But on the positive note we also had a few pull over for us on the Inverness road so well done to them!! :D

golach
01-Dec-07, 01:07
Highlander, on my trip north recently from the Kessock Bridge to Scrabster all the way up north is was the Stevens drivers that did the same for us, they are true gentlemen of the road

JimH
01-Dec-07, 01:40
The National speed limit for Commercial vehicles over 7.5 tonne IS 40mph on single carriageway roads.
On Dual carriageway it is 50mph.
On Motorways it is 60mph.
All HGV's under a certain age should be governed at 56MPH/90kph.

THere is a move afoot to raise the 40mph single carriageway limit to 50mph, but there is alot of opposition.

northener
01-Dec-07, 21:19
The National speed limit for Commercial vehicles over 7.5 tonne IS 40mph on single carriageway roads.
On Dual carriageway it is 50mph.
On Motorways it is 60mph.
All HGV's under a certain age should be governed at 56MPH/90kph.

THere is a move afoot to raise the 40mph single carriageway limit to 50mph, but there is alot of opposition.

I think raising the limit to 50 is a sensible option.

The original limit was put in place back in the days of double de-clutching and brakes that would be outclassed by a modern scooter.

Giving the HGV's a bit more leeway would keep the traffic flowing and would definitely cut down on the amount of d-head overtaking moves by some of the more intellectually challenged members of the Far North community. The wagons are certainly capable of doing it safely.

Bear in mind that Artic drivers are some of the most skilled, well trained - and courteous - drivers on the road, so I wouldn't buy into any 'it'll be too dangerous' arguments.
What are the arguments against, anyway? Anybody know what the objections are in detail?

I'd sooner have a HGV to deal with in a dodgy situation than a carload of Neds piloted by someone who got lucky on test day....

ett23
02-Dec-07, 16:05
On the way home from Tain to Thurso last night a Citylink bus let me pass him at the Berriedale braes. I was so glad cos I'd had an easy run till then and was dreading getting stuck behind him up the hill, but thankfully he let me know it was clear and I promptly overtook!!