Saturday 3rd December 2005
Depart Wick (somerfield car park) - 06.00
Depart Aberdeen - 18.30

Adults - £20 per seat
Children £10 per seat

Contact 01955603301 or 07766011704

jay
12-Sep-05, 08:16
som much for shopping locally then! seriously I think its a bit much to be advertising this kind of thing for the same day as the local traders will be holding their "fun days" what happened to supporting local trade - Aberdeen doesn't need our support

johndy
12-Sep-05, 12:01
som much for shopping locally then! seriously I think its a bit much to be advertising this kind of thing for the same day as the local traders will be holding their "fun days" what happened to supporting local trade - Aberdeen doesn't need our support

So sorry that we cant please everyone, this trip is giving anyone the chance to go to Aberdeen for the day whether is to see the panto, go to the football or to do some last minute shopping, didnt realise I could do all this in Thurso!

jay
12-Sep-05, 13:18
well you can certainly go to the panto and do some last minute shopping don't know about football - local organisations are making the effort to improve the attractions locally at Christmas and I think they deserve the support of the community

Zambo
12-Sep-05, 13:24
I understand your point about supporting local shops, but at the same time, this is a great opportunity for people to go to Aberdeen - for something different, a change.

There are some people who don't have their own transport, and can't go somewhere for more than 1 day, so this is an ideal opportunity for them to have a day out. Not everyone will use this day trip to go shopping - a lot of people may want to visit friends and family in Aberdeen, or as already suggested, visit the theatre. Yes, you can take in a panto in Caithness, but it's not quite the same as experiencing the theatre, and there is not as much choice.

I'm all for supporting the local community, but I also like a chance to venture further afield, and experience things not available at all in Caithness.

jay
12-Sep-05, 13:31
don't have a problem with that but the original point I was making is that this trip taking people out of the county is the day of the local christmas fun days - why should the local organisations and traders bother to try and imporve things if we don't support them

postman pat
12-Sep-05, 13:44
don't have a problem with that but the original point I was making is that this trip taking people out of the county is the day of the local christmas fun days - why should the local organisations and traders bother to try and imporve things if we don't support them

Where have the local traders had it advertised that they were holding the fun days on this date, these people are trying to provide a outing for people that dont get the chance of shopping out with the county very often.
Many of us locals support the shops in the county the other 364 days of the year so a day out without the hassle of driving and parking in the christmas rush will be lovely.

jay
12-Sep-05, 14:02
I heard someone talking about it on the radio

CFM
12-Sep-05, 15:21
I can confirm that we have been told 3/12/05 for Thurso fun day - not sure about Wick although they were both on the same day last year

EDDIE
12-Sep-05, 21:20
I notice that there is no arrival time into aberdeen and arrival time back in wick.Its a good idea for a different place to shop but its a lot of travel time for so little shopping time you really need to stop of overnight to make it worthwhile.And to be quite honest about it i live in aberdeen and the shops are just the same in inverness than in aberdeen.

johndy
12-Sep-05, 21:30
Leave Wick Somerfield - 06.00 arrive Aberdeen 11.30approx
(1hours stop Inverness retail park)
Leave Aberdeen - 18.30, arrive Wick Somerfield 11.30pm approx.

winnie
12-Sep-05, 22:05
i think it is good for shopping as you can not get anything for kid ages 10 to 16 and that is any sex

EDDIE
12-Sep-05, 23:12
If you take the 1 hour stop time away from the total time to get to aberdeen for a bus to get from wick to aberdeen in 4 1/2hours that bus must be hammering down the road.The road between inverness and aberdeen is a busy road can take up to three hours traveling.From the outskirts of aberdeen to city centre is 30 mins on a quiet period.
Dont get me wrong aberdeen is a nice place to shop at xmas time and to have a night on the town but u really need to stop of overnight here to enjoy it and make it a worthwhile experience

EDDIE
12-Sep-05, 23:19
And also i dont know whether you are aware but at xmas time union street is closed of at the weekends and the bottom half of union street were all the main shops are is all fill of amusements rides and mini stalls which covers all of the bottom half of union street which is quite nice gives more of a xmas feeling if you know what i mean

Moira
13-Sep-05, 01:42
Oh come on guys - lighten up.q

This is the "alternative" Christmas shopping opportunity in December. Bit different if you have never ventured outside Caithness before !!

And Johndy - shame on you for not posting the exact itinerary for the trip - the posters here are obviously much more experienced that your coach driver, going by the comments here (not!)

I bless Johndy & feel sorry for the rest who have taken umbrage to his post.

I have always, on the whole, shopped local, but welcome the opportunity too, to shop "different" if Inverness or Aberdeen is within my scope in November/December. Many folks here, without their own transport, may appreciate a day outwith their own four walls to pick up that "extra special pressy" or just enjoy a good day out.

Good luck with your bus-load - I'm sure everyone will be delighted that union street is closed off at Christmas (according to Eddie) - have a good time !!

Fran
13-Sep-05, 02:47
i for one would use the shopping trip bus to go to British home Stores (there isnt one in inverness0 and to visit family and friends. i think it is a good idea and will be booked up very quickly.
how about one to inverness, the buses always leave too early from inverness back to wick.I would love to be driven to inverness or Aberdeen. :D

moose and Lindsay
13-Sep-05, 10:14
I think it is a good idea too, what shops have we up here?

Thurso doesn't even have a toy shop apart from woolies, which doesn't have much stuff anyway, and the old jessie allans shop has opened as a wee toy shop but nothing much in that either

And as for wick what toy shops r in wick?...........Graham beggs!!...........Whow

Oh and the 1 at the cliff bakery

I bet most of u shop in Inverness for xmas shopping anyway and i think aberdeen is better still, Not only BHS but primark aswell, Inverness hasn't got 1 of them

If i hadn't done my shopping i would of went

Whitewater
13-Sep-05, 12:19
Well done johndy for organising the trip. You will always get smarty pants on this forum who know better. The local shops are OK but they are limited in the stock they can hold and it is an unforunate fact that many of the small shops can't buy items for what the large shops can sell them at.

My family all shop locally as much as we can, but we are limited as to what we can purchase so the trip to Aderdeen or Inverness is always on for Christmas. :D

lasher
13-Sep-05, 12:27
If you take the 1 hour stop time away from the total time to get to aberdeen for a bus to get from wick to aberdeen in 4 1/2hours that bus must be hammering down the road.The road between inverness and aberdeen is a busy road can take up to three hours traveling.From the outskirts of aberdeen to city centre is 30 mins on a quiet period.
Dont get me wrong aberdeen is a nice place to shop at xmas time and to have a night on the town but u really need to stop of overnight here to enjoy it and make it a worthwhile experience

A bus should easily make it from Wick to Aberdeen in 4 1/2 to 5 hours Max, I regularly do it in 3 1/2 to 4 hours in a car.

Andrew
13-Sep-05, 12:33
Theres only so much you can buy in Caithness from closed down glass factories, bankrupt freezer firms, and yes all us locals can pop into the wick branch of the Alliance & Leicester to take our money out. (i think theres sarcasm in there?)

Get a grip, shopping local is fine, but there are things you cannot get in Caithness.

Good initiative, hope you fill your bus John

Whitewater
13-Sep-05, 12:33
Tut! Tut! lasher, methinks you must be speeding [evil]

scorrie
13-Sep-05, 12:39
[quote="jay"]som much for shopping locally then! seriously I think its a bit much to be advertising this kind of thing for the same day as the local traders will be holding their "fun days" what happened to supporting local trade - Aberdeen doesn't need our support[/quote

The local shops want to get their act together if they want our business. All this half day closing, late opening and early escapes at ten to five do nothing to cater for the customer. I was appalled by how many stores in Wick remained closed on the Sundays close to Christmas last year, when others were open. The streets were certainly busier than a normal weekday and if they cannot be bothered to put the work in to be open and take advantage of that fact then they quite obviously do not need the money badly enough. More interested in staff partying and their own shopping trips down South, than being there for their regulars!!

I'll do my shopping on the net, they are cheaper, no queues, more choice, oh and they are OPEN.

jay
13-Sep-05, 15:33
I'm obviously not going to win this arguement - however over the months I have been reading this forum I have lost count of the amount of postings which slag off local organisations and shops - Thurso gala is rubbish, local shops are rubbish etc etc on and on - what I am saying is that there are people out there trying their best to improve this situation and what do we do? get on a bus for Aberdeen? Last year Wick and Thurso held their fun days on the same date and around 6 buses left Wick for the south - no one grudges the bairns a trip to the panto, people off shopping etc but if you want things to improve up here, going further afield is not the answer - and especially not on a day when there are events being put on for our benefit by locals
as for the lack of local shops - why is there a lack? as they say use them or lose them!

Homebase and argos in wick by next christmas - no buses going south then??

EDDIE
13-Sep-05, 17:16
lasher u must be speeding in the time you are claiming and you must remember a bus speed limit is a lot less like 50mph on a normal road in 60 on a dual carriagway

johndy
13-Sep-05, 18:16
Anyway there is a bus leaving Somerfield Wick on Saturday 3rd December for Christmas shopping in Aberdeen, for anymore details contact 01955603301 or 07766011704, all other details as first post :D