PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Wardens, parking, etc

William
29-Nov-07, 12:38
Firstly are there any?

Where are they?

and why are they not doing their job?

The parking up here is MAD if we did this in Inverness we would come back to find a nice wee envelope sitting under the wiper so why is it not the same up here? Over the past few weeks i've seen some really amazing parking and whats more amazing is nothing seems to be done about it.

saxovtr
29-Nov-07, 12:45
i only ever see him in wick

grandma
29-Nov-07, 12:50
Used to see him in Wick all the time but not recently. It was brilliant getting through bridge street when he was working. Didn't have to dodge illegally parked cars.

William
29-Nov-07, 12:57
Bridge street, wick oh yes that place is mad i think they try and squeeze as many cars in that street as possible right up till the white line for the traffic lights on the corner

henry20
29-Nov-07, 13:05
Saw the traffic warden in Thurso the other day telling a driver to move their car as they were parked illegally

Metalattakk
29-Nov-07, 13:54
That can't be right Henry20 - he's 'not doing his job', remember?

cuddlepop
29-Nov-07, 15:29
Our has left for pastures new and not been replaced.

You should see this place its a free for all.

Luckily all the tourist have all but gone, its only weddings and funerals it becomes manic.:eek:

elamanya
29-Nov-07, 16:21
does any one else think its about time there were double yellow lines further up the library side of sinclair terrace, you can never drive up or down there without giving way to let cars pass, or some one has to let you pass... where does every one live that parks on the other side of the road from the houses ..????

Cattach
29-Nov-07, 16:25

Your are right - not doing his job. He should have booked the driver. The traffic warden in Thurso gets his money for nothing. Parking is terrible and nothing done about it. Cars park so close to the lights in Sinclair Street that cars wanting to filter left or go straight on cannot get past when the lights change for their lane as they are blocked by cars in the legitimate going right lane waiting for their turn of the lights.

Torvaig
29-Nov-07, 16:52
does any one else think its about time there were double yellow lines further up the library side of sinclair terrace, you can never drive up or down there without giving way to let cars pass, or some one has to let you pass... where does every one live that parks on the other side of the road from the houses ..????

They are all in the library looking for books called "How to improve your driving".....

karia
29-Nov-07, 16:55
They are all in the library looking for books called "How to improve your driving".....

It sure isn't 'How to make friends and influence people' ;)

Venture
29-Nov-07, 17:23
I saw the traffic warden in Wick today - driving a police van. Maybe its too cold for him to be walking today. Better watch out he might be behind you.

nanoo
29-Nov-07, 17:38
Parking in McArthur Street always amazes me, on the chemist side, double park, triple park even, it seems anything goes. I always feel sorry for the poor individual who is at the inside(next to kerb) legally parked and cannot get out again because they are boxed in. Crazy, just crazy.:~(

elamanya
29-Nov-07, 18:01
lol torvaig.. they should be looking for the book on how to improve your parking , if thats there parking there driving is scary..... as for macurthur street it is like the start grid of a demiltion derby race..

dook
29-Nov-07, 20:16
Your are right - not doing his job. He should have booked the driver. The traffic warden in Thurso gets his money for nothing. Parking is terrible and nothing done about it. Cars park so close to the lights in Sinclair Street that cars wanting to filter left or go straight on cannot get past when the lights change for their lane as they are blocked by cars in the legitimate going right lane waiting for their turn of the lights.

Sorry. It's not often I'll do this but I'm sticking up for the Traffic Gestapo. I saw the Wick warden booking a guy the other day and being screamed and sworn at. What a great job...

xx_chickie
29-Nov-07, 20:29
This may sound crazy but one of my childhood career ideas was to be a traific warden(ess!)! Simply due to the fact I love stress and authority, and it would entail a different adventure everyday!

However, the really severe cases of stabbings etc don't sound too great (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4383292.stm)...best stick to Caithness.

This tells it how it is I suppose:
http://www.newstatesman.com/200408300014

northener
29-Nov-07, 20:29
The traffic warden in Wick is actually very good at what he does, he prefers to prevent problems by placing himself in a position where he can be seen as a deterrent. He tends to deal with existing miscreants with 'a quiet word'.

But he's very quick to ticket blatant cretins, eg local plebs using disabled bays in Somerfields.

Good on him, I say. He's laid back, fair and very controlled.

xx_chickie
29-Nov-07, 20:33
But he's very quick to ticket blatant cretins, eg local plebs using disabled bays in Somerfields.

:lol: You've balanced the tone of things in here, northerner. Well done!

"blatant cretins" and "local plebs"...hehe.

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 20:40
Doesn't the Caithness area traffic warden patrol Wick then Thurso on consecutive days with the .Org reporting the schedule for the benefit of local drivers to each area? :lol:

xx_chickie
29-Nov-07, 20:43
Doesn't the Caithness area traffic warden patrol Wick then Thurso on consecutive days with the .Org reporting the schedule for the benefit of local drivers to each area? :lol:

Haha. Uh oh! :lol:

philupmaboug
29-Nov-07, 21:04
Have to agree Nanoo, outside the chemist is especially bad when the police van is double parked and the handyman is helping his wife get her Tesco messages out of the back! also when he parks right up at the traffic lights every morning at around 7.55am for the papers so the local bobbies can catch up on local crime news!

henry20
29-Nov-07, 21:05
Sorry. It's not often I'll do this but I'm sticking up for the Traffic Gestapo. I saw the Wick warden booking a guy the other day and being screamed and sworn at. What a great job...

Have to agree with you, I wouldn't swap jobs with him and I'll stick up for him despite having been given a parking ticket :lol:

wifie
29-Nov-07, 21:39
I'm with Dook and Henry20 - what a job - must be nuts or brave. Bad parking/driving is very irritating and people in Caithness have probably been getting away with it for many a long day!

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 21:54
I'm with Dook and Henry20 - what a job - must be nuts or brave. Bad parking/driving is very irritating and people in Caithness have probably been getting away with it for many a long day!

Maybe give them tasers also? :lol:

wifie
29-Nov-07, 22:02
Here Sandtiger I am not encouraging violence on here (or anywhere else for that matter)! Just parking in Caithness is probably a hard nut to crack!

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 22:09
Here Sandtiger I am not encouraging violence on here (or anywhere else for that matter)! Just parking in Caithness is probably a hard nut to crack!

Never said you were, otherwise I'd be advocating a Mad Max style of parking :lol:

wifie
29-Nov-07, 22:12
Woohoo if Mel Gibson is gonna be the traffic warden I will be up there parking mad like the rest of them! lol

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 22:14
It's a surreal concept for Wick :P

botheed
29-Nov-07, 23:13
tell me this, does any one know if the waste ground behind summerfield. the one with all the pot holes is legal to park?
the reason i ask is that a lady today got a £60.00 fine for parking there:~(

northener
29-Nov-07, 23:31
Was it a Range Rover by any chance?

botheed
29-Nov-07, 23:35
yip it sure was????????????

Geo
30-Nov-07, 00:41
There do not appear to be any signs that say you can't park there.

Fran
30-Nov-07, 02:05
tell me this, does any one know if the waste ground behind summerfield. the one with all the pot holes is legal to park?
the reason i ask is that a lady today got a £60.00 fine for parking there:~(

I thought this was the parking area for Riverside nursing home (Their back entrance).

northener
30-Nov-07, 09:30
Don't know who owns the ground, there's no parking restrictions signed.

Thought the RR with a ticket on was unusual. I'm not convinced it was for parking where it was sat at that time. Maybe the driver moved the motor after it was ticketed?

The Traffic Warden wanders round Somerfields on a regular basis, I've never seem him ticket any other vehicle in that area. So i'm not convinced the ticket relates to a parking offence on that ground.

Saw him ticketing another one for parking in a disabled bay, ha haaaar!

The Angel Of Death
30-Nov-07, 11:05

Naw wick and thurso have there own warden however the thurso one tends to not like the cold and seems a bit "work shy" if thats the right word ;)

Metalattakk
30-Nov-07, 11:13
I don't know how you can get away with saying such a thing. Your comments border on slander.

The Angel Of Death
30-Nov-07, 11:37
Its called an opinion one that you mentioned yourself earlier on and its one that a few people have mentioned previously as well ok maybe not as blunt as mines

The traffic warden in Wick is actually very good at what he does, he prefers to prevent problems by placing himself in a position where he can be seen as a deterrent. He tends to deal with existing miscreants with 'a quiet word'.

Good on him, I say. He's laid back, fair and very controlled.

but the comparison between the two wardens are like night and day

Parking has alway been a nightmare in wick and thurso however atleast with the warden in wick activly doing the rounds this has decreased quite a bit as said on previous posts i work in thurso and in the last 3 months i can count on one hand how many times i have seen the warden out and about in thurso however leaving wick when im on a late shift (about 1030 / 1100 ish) i see the warden atleast a couple of times a week in wick doing his stuff

I can bet that if you swapped the wardens over for a week or a month there would be a glutt of tickets issues in thurso

The ironic thing is one someone has had a ticket it gives them a sort of wake up call (i know it did me and actually it was the thurso warden that gave ti to me in wick a few years ago)

But at the end of the day if the thurso warden has an active presence and was giving tickets out for traffic offences then you would see a noticable difference on the streets and also as it stands i pay my tax's which ultimatly pays the traffic wardens wages so i like everyone else here has an opinion good or bad like it or lump it

Metalattakk
30-Nov-07, 11:59
Fair enough, feel justified to slag off someone on the internet.

You have just cobbled together a half-cocked opinion based on half-truths and a couple of other people's half-baked opinions. You don't know a single thing about the person involved, you don't know his personal life, nor his work situation, so how you can come up with your opinion I have no idea.

But then, that's the problem with internet message boards and forums. People think it gives them carte-blanche to stick the knife in, and give it a right good twist too.

William
30-Nov-07, 12:03
Yikes!! are you one or the two traffic wardens Metalattakk?

and angel of death must be a dounreay worker lol

The Angel Of Death
30-Nov-07, 12:23
Fair enough, feel justified to slag off someone on the internet.

You have just cobbled together a half-cocked opinion based on half-truths and a couple of other people's half-baked opinions. You don't know a single thing about the person involved, you don't know his personal life, nor his work situation, so how you can come up with your opinion I have no idea.

But then, that's the problem with internet message boards and forums. People think it gives them carte-blanche to stick the knife in, and give it a right good twist too.

Yea true enough i dont i make no bones about that but i do have eyes and the see the problems there are and i know that if i wasnt able to do my job (for whatever reasons) then i would EXPECT my employers to either assist me or to replace me (either tempory or full time) with someone who could do the job properly untill i was able to do so myself

At the end of it its the public thats suffering because the job isnt being done properly now you have got to agree with me on that one

Ohh and no i aint a traffic warden or do i work at dounreay :)

hobbes1962
30-Nov-07, 12:26
Here's a novel idea. Instead of slagging off the local traffic wardens on a public messageboard, why doesn't everyone just park properly?

William
30-Nov-07, 12:31
Here's a novel idea. Instead of slagging off the local traffic wardens on a public messageboard, why doesn't everyone just park properly?

great idea! that would be so much better and less stressful for everyone.

just to make sure i did not start this thread to annoy the traffic wardens or anything just wanted answers to my questions

sadam
06-Dec-07, 17:43
Have you noticed that trying to park a car in Thurso on the street is a bit of a problem. I was trying to park near the Sam-wich shop on Mon, Tues and Wed but there was no empty spaces, and them that were parked seemed to have been there all day. Is there not a time limit on this street or is it again if your face fits you get off with it.

xx_chickie
06-Dec-07, 20:01

Good point :)

theone
06-Dec-07, 20:30
Have you noticed that trying to park a car in Thurso on the street is a bit of a problem. I was trying to park near the Sam-wich shop on Mon, Tues and Wed but there was no empty spaces, and them that were parked seemed to have been there all day. Is there not a time limit on this street or is it again if your face fits you get off with it.

I've made this point before.

Reading the local paper, anytime a new buisiness wants to set up outside the town the same arguments about "ripping the heart out of the town" and "the high street will be deserted" etc.

Maybe if people could get parked more easily they'd be keener to shop in the centre.

There was a golden oppotunity to create loads more parking in Thurso town centre when the brewery was demolished. The Coop carpark could have more than doubled. Instead they allowed flats to be built.........

Derlyn
07-Dec-07, 12:51

I agree, spare a thought to the drivers who are already parked properly and how your improper parking can lead to them being blocked in their parking space.

The Angel Of Death
07-Dec-07, 13:02
Parking has always been a nightmare in thurso i remember when i started driving some 10 years ago had someone pull out of one of the side streets off princess street due to loads of cars parking and obscuring vision lets just say it was a brown trouser moment

At the end of the day using the option of extending the parking at the coop or build new houses for profit its the £££ that will win all the time

bish667
07-Dec-07, 13:19

Good idea, only problem is not everyone driving in Thurso comes on these noticeboards.

Royster1911
07-Dec-07, 13:19
Naw wick and thurso have there own warden however the thurso one tends to not like the cold and seems a bit "work shy" if thats the right word ;)
I saw the Thurso warden yesterday, out in the cold wind and rain doing his job. I also noted that he was doubled up in pain, so perhaps he has health reasons for not being around so much. Just a thought!

Don Quixote
07-Dec-07, 13:49
I'm Confused.

I thought a yellow line meant a good parking space and double yellow lines meant I could double park!

changilass
07-Dec-07, 13:58
I saw the Thurso warden yesterday, out in the cold wind and rain doing his job. I also noted that he was doubled up in pain, so perhaps he has health reasons for not being around so much. Just a thought!

Lets hope he gets better soon, or better still he is allowed to go off sick and a replacement brought in to deal with things till he is fit enough to do his job

Dog-eared
07-Dec-07, 15:16
He's got back trouble.
I pulled into the Thurso CO-OP carpark one day and he was nicking a guy for a one day out of date tax disc , even though the driver was showing him his renewal form, log book,insurance and a cheque, and explaining he was on his way to the P.O......

Thorfin
07-Dec-07, 15:30
A point I object to is that parking is restricted to half an hour in most area's but there are some cars parking in Princes Street nearly all day and getting off with it, they are working in shops or offices on the main street. What is the Traffic Warden doing about this? Will we get the Wick guy through for a week I am not the only person to remark on this.

hobbes1962
07-Dec-07, 23:02
A point I object to is that parking is restricted to half an hour in most area's but there are some cars parking in Princes Street nearly all day and getting off with it, they are working in shops or offices on the main street. What is the Traffic Warden doing about this?

Have you tried going to the local Police Station to enquire into this? I suggest you try this as your first course of action.

Murdina Bug
08-Dec-07, 09:46
A point I object to is that parking is restricted to half an hour in most area's but there are some cars parking in Princes Street nearly all day and getting off with it, they are working in shops or offices on the main street. What is the Traffic Warden doing about this? Will we get the Wick guy through for a week I am not the only person to remark on this.

Not all of Princes Street is restricted though - are you specifically talking about the 'lower end'? I think it is only from the T junction at RBS end to about the Pentland Hotel that has time restrictions on it. So there is a great part of Princes Street where people can park all day. There are also a number of houses and flats in this area with no off road parking so I dare say some of the all-day parkers are living there.

By the way, if all-day parkers move further away from the main streets to park then they start to get grief from residents who regard the space outside their door as their own. They can't win really!

Blazing Sporrans
09-Dec-07, 15:40
He's got back trouble.
I pulled into the Thurso CO-OP carpark one day and he was nicking a guy for a one day out of date tax disc , even though the driver was showing him his renewal form, log book,insurance and a cheque, and explaining he was on his way to the P.O......
Was he 'nicking' him like you say or was he challenging one of the many motorists who drive around seeming to think it's okay to not bother having tax, insurance etc like the rest of us have to pay for? Did he issue a ticket, or once the motorist explained the circumstances of his renewal was he happy to let him go on his way? I happen to know the Traffic Warden and find it extremely unlikely that he would 'nick' anyone in the circumstances you relate here....

Worst part of this entire forum is ill-informed speculation presented as absolute fact. [evil]

Anyway, with regard to Angel of Death's assertion that we should have more car parking instead of housing at Meadow Lane, what about the vastly underused free car parking facility at Janet Street? I have counted over 80 car parking spaces there and on a Saturday lunchtime in December, when you'd expect the town to be about as busy as it gets, I counted approximately twenty vehicles there. It's never full - unless there's something on at the Thurso Club. Trouble with the lazy, selfish parkers in Thurso is that they won't walk the length of themselves if they think they can park illegally and get away with it. They justify it to themselves by saying "I'll only be here for two minutes" but how often does two minutes turn into five, then ten...?

Able bodied men blatantly parking illegally outside the bakers so that they can nip in and get some pies or a sandwich for their piece - it does my tiny nut in!!

And don't mention taxi drivers who think they can stop/park anywhere they like as long as they stick their hazard lights on.

Off to lie down now with a cold towel on my forehead....

JimH
10-Dec-07, 21:03
I have to say that the parking up here is easy, The Traffic Wardens are about. What is missing is TRAFFIC!
Yes I have had to wait 30 seconds in Castletown, but so what, I'll get there eventually, I don't need blue lights anymore.
The parking in the two towns is plentiful - problems are caused when able bodied people are afraid to walk 10 feet from their cars.
You are very privileged people to live up in an area WITHOUT any traffic problems - enjoy it, walk a bit if you have to, and maybe - just maybe - you will appreciate what you have.
Dont drink and drive - and remember to say "Good day" to the Traffic Warden.

Reev
13-Dec-07, 21:04
I have read the whole debate in respect of the pros and cons of the traffic wardens in both Wick and Thurso. Both of these guys use a considerable degree of what is called discression and instead of laying a sometimes ill affordable fine on somebody they let the demeanour go with a warning. They are both a part of their individual communities and lets face it they have to live among us. Yes the traffic warden could book everybody he sees illegally parked or on the other hand he could just give them a warning. Can you imagine trying to do their job when they are basically in a no win situation. If they book somebody they are a bad lot and if they dont book somebody they arent doing their job. On top of doing a juggling act with the general motoring public they also have to contend with the shopkeepers complaining about how they cant park and the local councillors and community councillors looking for an easy target to give us the impression that they are actually doing something. How many of us have seen the Thurso traffic warden attending to pretty much all of the School crossing patrollers jobs at one time or another because they have gone sick or taken holidays or whatever. Maybe the council could free up some of his time by doing their job properly. I cant help but see in this string a fairly general attack on these two individuals although some have seen fit to offer some praise.
To end on the words of a Japanese Admiral following a previous cowardly attack on those they considered defenceless.
"I fear we may have awoken a sleeping Lion."
Frankly you will only have yourselves to blame. :~(