PDA

View Full Version : Stupid inconsiderate idiot drivers

NickInTheNorth
28-Nov-07, 17:51
I was driving along Provost Cormack Drive at about 4.30 this afternoon, when I saw a learnet driver attempting a 3 point turn. So naturally being the good and careful driver I am, and having been a learner driver myself once waited for the completion of the manoeuvre.

As did the car behind me, and the car behind that. That however was not good enough for the fourth car who simply, without even indicating decided to overtake the lot of us, and pass behind the car just about to reverse in the road.

Followed about 5 seconds later by another idiot that did the same thing, only this time passing in front of the car that was in the process of completing the reversing manoeuvre.

I am wrong in thinking that they were totally in the wrong, or am I just stupid?

If anyone knows of a car with loads of sign writing all over it prominently featuring the word carbon I would like to speak to the idiot that was driving it!

Ash
28-Nov-07, 17:54
no you were right in what you did, some people are inconsiderate and shouldnt be allowed behind a wheel!!

johno
28-Nov-07, 18:53
I alway.s give way to a tuition car, the driver just might be up his / her test. and i,d sure hate to be the one that fluster,s the driver.
a little consideration cost nothing and i like the feel good feeling afterward,s.

Max
28-Nov-07, 20:12
Yea we have all been there - we all had to learn one way or another so a bit of consideration isn't a lot to ask!

northener
28-Nov-07, 20:19
The person carrying out the manouver should give priority to any oncoming traffic.

However, if the oncoming traffic is prepared to wait, the the car doing the manouver can proceed with caution.

Learners hate doing a turn in the road with cars waiting for them, it makes them feel like they should get out of the way quickly, that's usually why they stall or bounce off the pavement. Nothing like an audience when you're learning!:D

Prat coming from the back of the queue? Absolute nob.

Fluff
28-Nov-07, 20:21
I have been quite luckyso far when learning.Had a few idiots but it is not the norm. It is very off putting though,esp if you stall etc..

northener
28-Nov-07, 20:31
I have been quite luckyso far when learning.Had a few idiots but it is not the norm. It is very off putting though,esp if you stall etc..

Stick with it, Fluff! Good luck.

starry
28-Nov-07, 21:31

You couldn't be as unlucky as me, someone actually crashed into me when I was having my pretest lesson.
I was in floods of tears, I stupidly went against my instructors advice and sat the test anyway but failed miserably.

I can laugh about it now but I just remember sitting in the car and the guy waiting for me to get out, I just kept sobbing until eventually he called my instructor over to explain he didn't want to leave me in such a state :confused
It was the same man who did my text the second time, he was very relieved when I passed lol !

bluelady
28-Nov-07, 23:08
Most be the same idiot that went passed me and a few cars sat at a red light roadworks a while back

Cookerpebble
28-Nov-07, 23:21
I use the back road out of Watten towards Wick Tesco 5 days a week. Its a single track road and you can guarantee that people everyday will have parked in the passing places to go walk the dog or whatever. Thats my moan about driving up here.

grandma
29-Nov-07, 10:46
The person carrying out the manouver should give priority to any oncoming traffic.
However, if the oncoming traffic is prepared to wait, then the car doing the manouver can proceed with caution..
I was always led to believe (albeit by my driving instructor many moons ago) that the person doing the manoeuver had right of way and any oncoming traffic had to wait for them to finish but you didn't start unless road was clear of others.
I personally don't fancy going past a learner driver doing a 3 point turn with unknown clutch control!!

nikki
29-Nov-07, 10:59
I am learning with Francis Dunnet and he's always told me that if you are doing a three pont turn or manouver any traffic has the right to decide wether they want to pass you or wait, but you have to wait until its obvious which they've chosen before completing the manouver.

grandma
29-Nov-07, 12:37
Best of luck to all learners, especially you Nikki. Hope you have many years of safe driving.

Rampant Rabbit
29-Nov-07, 13:31
And the ones who don't use there little orange lights they are suppose to use for turn corners and for pulling out

JammyDodger69
29-Nov-07, 14:13
I'm not the best driver and I've made mistakes but some people take the biscuit. The one I hate is the people that are in the wrong and give me the dirty look when it's obvious that they did wrong. And to anyone I've managed to annoy with my driving I apologize.

Cattach
29-Nov-07, 16:28
And the ones who don't use there little orange lights they are suppose to use for turn corners and for pulling out

Correct. Too many drivrers just tutn round corners without signally. As a predestrian I alaways look to see if the catr coming is turning or if I can cross but often have to change my mind quick.

xx_chickie
29-Nov-07, 16:41
Correct. Too many drivrers just tutn round corners without signally. As a predestrian I alaways look to see if the catr coming is turning or if I can cross but often have to change my mind quick.

My absolute pet hate is drivers who don't indicate. Indicators are there for a reason, and it's dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers if people don't use them! I used to be able to tell when someone was turning a corner, now I just have to assume that because they're not indicating that they'll turn the corner: I'll get run over otherwise!

grandma
29-Nov-07, 16:45
When I was learning to drive I was taught that you use your indicators whether there is another car near you or not. I was horrified when my eldest told me that they are taught (she had 3 different instructors - through no fault of hers) not to indicate unless there is another car behind or in front of you. This doesn't take into account a) pedestrians and b) cars that come out of nowhere. I always indicate, especially on roundabouts.

xx_chickie
29-Nov-07, 17:05
When I was learning to drive I was taught that you use your indicators whether there is another car near you or not. I was horrified when my eldest told me that they are taught (she had 3 different instructors - through no fault of hers) not to indicate unless there is another car behind or in front of you. This doesn't take into account a) pedestrians and b) cars that come out of nowhere. I always indicate, especially on roundabouts.

I had always thought they should be used all the time!

johno
29-Nov-07, 17:12
i never trust indicater,s i always wait till i see the car turning before i venture out. to many times a vehicle coming out of a gentle turn the indicater,s dont turn off. seen it to many times. :eek:

spiggie
29-Nov-07, 19:20
My moan for the day is drivers who dont sort out their headlights and drive with one light working and the other light as a side light, its confusing and dangerous in the dark. I drive out to work in the dark and drive home in the dark and you would be surprised how many cars there is like this. OOh and people who dont dip their headlights arrrgh thats very annoying!

unicorn
29-Nov-07, 19:26
If anyone knows of a car with loads of sign writing all over it prominently featuring the word carbon I would like to speak to the idiot that was driving it!
Was it one of those smart cars? Red? if so I noticed it parked in Thurso last night

northener
29-Nov-07, 19:35
I was always led to believe (albeit by my driving instructor many moons ago) that the person doing the manoeuver had right of way and any oncoming traffic had to wait for them to finish but you didn't start unless road was clear of others.
I personally don't fancy going past a learner driver doing a 3 point turn with unknown clutch control!!

Probably changed at some stage, then.

Serious fault on test these days if you don't give way initially.

northener
29-Nov-07, 19:40

I would take serious issue with any ADI who taught this.

Indicators are there to alert other road users what your intentions are. 'Road Users' in the Highway Code include pedestrians.

What the ADI's probably mean is you do not have to signal if there are no other road users around, not just cars - then it is acceptable.

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 20:11
I would take serious issue with any ADI who taught this.

...[snip]...

What the ADI's probably mean is you do not have to signal if there are no other road users around, not just cars - then it is acceptable.

Hmmm... You could take serious issues with ADI's teaching this practice also - Given that drivers don't have clear 360% vision/are not always alert to their surroundings and all it takes is the flex of a little finger :)

Anyone remember that 'It's never to late to indicate' advert?

northener
29-Nov-07, 20:23
Hmmm... You could take serious issues with ADI's teaching this practice also - Given that drivers don't have clear 360% vision/are not always alert to their surroundings and all it takes is the flex of a little finger :)

Anyone remember that 'It's never to late to indicate' advert?

The 'no indication' scenario is one where, say, you are approaching a country junction with excellent 360 vision and no other road users. Any other time, or even if you are not sure - indicate.

On the 'L' test examiners will expect you to indicate at all junctions unless you are 110% sure there is no one who will benefit.

On an advanced test, the examiners will expect a commentary drive. They will be looking for you to assess each junction individually and decide whether an indication is necessary - even in busy towns. This highlights hazard perception skills and shows up any weaknesses in assessment.

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 21:58
So, just for the record, is it good practice or or bad practice for a driver not to indicate when cornering?

George Brims
29-Nov-07, 22:05
I had always thought they should be used all the time!
Over here in California, our local police chief was recently on the local channel on TV explaining that not only do you have to use them all the time, you have to signal left or right even if you're in a lane that has a "Must turn right/left" sign. They had a recent blitz of ticketing people for not using indicators. Which has probably only cured the people who got tickets and no-one else, but at least that's a small improvement.

DeHaviLand
29-Nov-07, 23:08
So, just for the record, is it good practice or or bad practice for a driver not to indicate when cornering?

Apparently current teaching for advanced drivers is not to use your indicators if it will not affect other road users. Supposedly its to teach you to be more vigilant and to think about what you're doing, rather than just flipping on your indicator automatically every time you turn a corner.

northener
29-Nov-07, 23:29
[quote=SandTiger;303719]So, just for the record, is it good practice or or bad practice for a driver not to indicate when cornering?[/quote

Assuming you mean dealing with junctions when you say cornering (sorry to be pedantic, but the devil is in the detail) - always indicate unless you are sure no other road user may benefit.

nikki
01-Dec-07, 17:09
You can actually get a mark against you in your drivin test if you use your indicator when the tester doesnt think it's necessary. I think it's kinda stupid but then again it's to show how much attention your paying to your surrounding i think.

northener
01-Dec-07, 21:04
You can actually get a mark against you in your drivin test if you use your indicator when the tester doesnt think it's necessary. I think it's kinda stupid but then again it's to show how much attention your paying to your surrounding i think.

Again, it depends on the situation.

If you were to indicate every time you went past a parked car- without good reason, you would pick up driver errors.
The reason being that if you keep indicating for every adjustment of your position, the drivers behind you will begin to ignore your indicators. - You eventually go to turn right - bang.

If you were to indicate at every single junction, even when it was obvious there was no-one there, you wouldn't pick up any errors.

ywindythesecond
01-Dec-07, 21:13

Grandma, when I was taught to drive, hand signals were part of the test, even though car technology had moved on from the lifting arm thing to blinking lights. I was also taught to signal automatically when turning, and did it faithfully for years.

The message from police and professional drivers is:

Only signal when there is someone who will benefit from it.

If you just signal automatically, you might not know what is going on around you. If you check if anyone would see your signal, you are much more in control.

poppett
02-Dec-07, 20:08
I was taught to always indicate, that way you never forget to do it. Secondly when parking to do so in such a position that if you are being pursued by a mad axe murderer on returning to your car you can jump in and drive away without need to shunt about. Learned 35 years ago and still do both things automatically. I have even indicated in an empty car park!

horseman
02-Dec-07, 21:20
Right on ..apart from the last little bit..