PDA

View Full Version : Goverment Subsidised Heating Scheme.

Tc4
28-Nov-07, 17:21
Hi Just a quick question. Slight rant aswell :)

I noticed in the local paper today that someone has raised a complaint with the scheme for scottish gas sitting new central heating into oaps houses.

This struck a cord as my mother is also haveing issues with them. We received a letter stating your new gas central heating system will be fitted mid december. Just after we recieved another letter saying you are no longer eligible if you wish to have this fitted you need to pay around £7900 and we will pay £427 towards the costs. This is a disgrace how can they expect someone on a pension to be able to fork out that ammount of money.

The reason behind her not being eligible is that she is about 1 metre out out there allocated range from the closest main supply there cut of being 23 meters and her house being around 24 meters. I have to say some of the people on the phone were nice and seemed to understand the others didnt seem to care.

Now she is in the situation of being offered total heating or oil. when she opted for the oil heating she was told that we will get another survey done for you but this could cost anything upto £6000 - £7000 and we will only pay £3500 towards the costs this seems again a bit much to ask someone on a pension for.

The best part is a keep hearing the same story of these other people locally who have had the heating fitted throught the scheme free of charge. 3 houses in the block next to ours have had gas fitted in the past few weeks.

Does anyone know of anyone who has had this fitted or if there is anyone she can speak to about this?

Cheers

Tc4

NickInTheNorth
28-Nov-07, 17:39
I can't help with your specific query, but just wondered if you had considered electric central heating, just the same sort of system you have with gas, but utilising an electric boiler. From all the research I've done recently it looks about the best value for non-mains gas heating.

Sorry to hear you've run up against the jobsworths!

Tc4
28-Nov-07, 17:47
Thanks for the responce Nick

The problem is with the scheme you are offered Gas, Oil or Total Heating. We asked about the local heating initative in poultny but we were told we could not have that.

They might say that the oil will be fitted foc yet just have to wait and see.

NickInTheNorth
28-Nov-07, 17:54
Am I correct in thinking that total heating is the mad scheme from the hydro that gives electricity when they feel like it at a cheap rate for heating, and lots of inefficient storage heaters and convectors?

If so my understanding of that one is that in practise there is no reason that it could not be used for electric central heating. But I could be wrong.

Tc4
28-Nov-07, 17:56
Yes the total heating is electric storage heaters.

rambler
29-Nov-07, 00:01
Be careful with installing electrical heating as the running costs can be very high. Storage heaters are inefficient and electrical central heaiting requires quite a large thermal storage vessel to be able to benefit from off-peak electrical tariffs. A good electrical option are heatpumps, but expensive to install. Have a word with Ormlie Community Association as they will be able to give you more advice. (Tel.01847 891 789).
The free central heating scheme is a bit in a messy state since Scottish Gas has taken over. If you can't connect to the Pulteney heating scheme, the most cost effective option will be a Mains Gas boiler.
Hope this helps.

NickInTheNorth
30-Nov-07, 12:54
I have spoken to British Gas who confirm that it is possible to have an electric boiler and radiators fitted, this can operate on the total heating tariff. Unless my reading of the total heating tariff is totally wrong (and it could be!) an electric central heating boiler should be able to run on the cheap rate supply at any time of day.

I will try and get a definite answer on that.

I was wrong! But economy10 sounds pretty good.

gollach
01-Dec-07, 03:07
Storage heaters are an expensive option that I have regretted in the past. I now find myself in conflict with Scottish Gas as they provide my electricity and gas. They are fine for gas but unable to provide a proper reading for electricity. While I accept that the cost of each unit has increased, they somehow fail to understand that the new tariff has quadrupled the units I use without a change in appliances! [evil]