PDA

View Full Version : Songs of Praise

brokencross
10-Sep-05, 09:23
Songs of Praise
Sun 11 Sep, 5:05 pm - 5:45 pm 40mins BBC1

From the far North of Caithness, Sally Magnusson has a rare and exclusive interview with HRH Prince Charles, and the music features Scottish folk legends Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham. [S]

Might be worth a watch

trinkie
11-Sep-05, 17:51
Well done Wick - the best Songs of Praise I have heard in a long time.

Best wishes as I wipe another tear from my eye
SD

Jud
11-Sep-05, 21:36
Its nice to sit in my living room in Holland and watch my Home town on the TV...

postman pat
11-Sep-05, 22:12
[quote="Silver Darlings"]Well done Wick - the best Songs of Praise I have heard in a long time.

What a fantastic program, well done to all involved :D

champagnebaby
12-Sep-05, 04:33
I thought it was really good too, especially when it isn't something i'd usually watch.

Well done to weeboyagee for his part in the program - you were very good m8 ;) :D

Doug Country
12-Sep-05, 11:45
I thought id wis pretty poor.

What real connections hev Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain wi Caithness?

Id wiz al white settlers and no enough o proper caithness fowkies.

trinkie
12-Sep-05, 13:18
Doug Country you found the programme ' pretty poor.' In what respect? I am curious so please explain yourself.

I understand that Messrs Bain and Cunningham are not from Caithness - but the programme does not promise that only locals would be involved.
Prince Charles is not from Caithness either - so I am told, but he did very well too dont you think?

Give Credit where Credit is due and dont be so free with the old sour grapes. A lot of people worked very hard at this, gave of their spare time and talent. They are not professional entertainers but ordinary folk, who put on a splendid show.

Do please give us your reason so that this can be rectified for another occasion.
SD

Rheghead
12-Sep-05, 14:03
I thought id wis pretty poor.

What real connections hev Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain wi Caithness?

Id wiz al white settlers and no enough o proper caithness fowkies.

Typical, finding fault where no fault lay.

Doug Country
12-Sep-05, 14:28
Darling,

Ye obviously hev gotten a great thrill at seein Caithness on e TV. Yur always seein ither places on e TV and then ye somewhere ye know and ye think hids great. An ye'll no hev anybody say a bad word aboot id.

E point am tryin till make is that e show (apart from e bits in e church which were good) wiz just some chiel from doon sooths vision o 'scotland', no caithness, and certainly no e caithness that I ken. There wis a lot in at programme which they could hev broadcast had they been anywhere else in scotland.

Again, I say what connection hev Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham to Caithness? An if ye canna see the connection wi Prince Charles an Caithness then theres no much hope for ye.

trinkie
12-Sep-05, 16:23
Weel, thank you for your reply - I think I see what you're getting at
For myself I dinna think it metters far e the foulk come fae as long as they perform weel - which this lot certainly did.
All the scenery and buildings shown in the programme gave it it's Caithness authenticity.

Best wishes till ye,
SD

Doug Country
12-Sep-05, 16:56
Respect till ye Silver Darlings. Thank you for seein my point o view. Am no so eloquent as some on iss internet.

Ah just wish that someone somewhere could make a real programme aboot caithness and ids fowkies, cos e real story aboot gods county needs til be telt. Theres no place lek id.

trinkie
12-Sep-05, 18:42
Now then, why are ye sitting there waiting for someone else to make such a programme - get your act together and write to someone on the BBC with all your ideas - think very carefully about what you are going to say.....If you dont act, then some chiel from the sooth will and you will be back to where we started.

But do you really want folk to know how great it is in Caithness? They will flock north in their thousands and you will then be inundated with Sooth chiels !!
Mind ye, they are no' all that bad and have put up with Caithness folk going south for many long years - and they have welcomed them with open arms .

I know someone from Caithness who has the audacity to make television programmes in the sooth. Fitever next !

Get cracking richt now.....

George Brims
12-Sep-05, 19:13
I think it would be progress if the people at the BBC or ITV even learned to pronounce "Caithness", never mind show it as it is.

Fran
13-Sep-05, 02:49
I thought the programme was very good but showed too much sea and fields. it should have shown more of the towns of wick and thurso. Viewers will think we live in a wilderness.

Whitewater
13-Sep-05, 12:30
We do Fran, we do, just look at the TV weather forecasts etc, nothing exists north of Inverness. :(

But I love this wilderness dearly, I have travelled the world (including England) and never found anywhere quite like it. Its beautiful, we all gurn about it but you can't beat it. :D

weeboyagee
14-Sep-05, 13:39
Cheers champagnebaby for the kind comments. A full days filming to achieve the final result and good on the choir - they put every effort in - good representation of the North, I was well pleased with their final result.

Yeh, I know what people are saying in the posts above but I think that the BBC were trying to present a programme to satisfy the taste of the wider nation and not necessarliy the local community of Caithness. We in the county will all have our own thoughts but the BBC were looking at it from a different, wider taste - I don't think their main goal was to have loads o Kaitness Fowk showing off our county and all it has to offer, moreover to present a spiritually uplifting programme (now there's a statement!). Did it achieve it's goal in that respect - well I think so, but did it make a good representation of Caithness in our local eyes - no, I don't think it did. Is it worth criticising without it making us look samll minded? Hmmmmmm, pass.

I'll speak to the producer and let him know some of the comments representative here and maybe they might think different for other programmes - maybe not. WBG :cool:

Doug Country
14-Sep-05, 14:45
WBG you have probably got it spot on.

Perhaps I was expecting to see a 30 minute long commercial for our grand County on Sunday night and then was disappointed in what I saw.

If the remit for 'Songs of Praise' is as you say to make spiritually uplifting programmes then certainly they did that. I have to say that I've never heard 'Will your anchor hold?' sung as loudly and with as much passion before, they nearly took the roof off.

Rheghead
14-Sep-05, 16:38
Does the wider nation watch SOP to find out about the local places or the local fowkies?

No, they watch it for a good old singsong and to be spiritually uplifted which it achieved I'm sure. Well done weeboyagee, another extraodinary rendition was done by all this time...

bbbbuutttt, I am always reminded of a comedy sketch by the 'Not the 9oclock news' team when SOP comes on the telly. But I am sure there were more wee kaitness fowkies in the congregation in the previous week in Wick than an old woman, a dog and a tin of baked beans!! [lol]