PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Wick

mr do dar
27-Nov-07, 20:02
happy birthday to tesco wick . this store as been open 1 year today . cant belive that its come round so fast . how people talk about it you would think its been there 10 years . how did we manage without it . :)

Gizmo
27-Nov-07, 20:16
We managed perfectly well without it...and we all had a lot more disposable income before it aswell, Tesco = Being Skint after a weekly shop, there are just way too many buyable things in that store...haha

Giz

trix
27-Nov-07, 20:30
since tesco opened, e pounds hev found their way fie ma bank account an attatched thumsels roond ma waist!! (an ma bum, an ma thighs) :D

but i couldna be happier - happy birthday tesco...

bluelady
27-Nov-07, 20:49
It's sad I ken, but I look forward to my weekly Tesco shop, I can browse, exercise with all that walking around the store, and catch up with friends and old collegues who are also shopping, have the occassional cooked breakfast with hubby before a day's exploring and get almost anything I need. happy Birthday Tesco

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/sm2-birthday.gif

nanoo
27-Nov-07, 21:37
A year already, i did.nt realise a year could pass that quick. Must be all that happy shopping time i spend in Tesco. What do you think? te he. A HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Tesco.;)

mccaugm
27-Nov-07, 22:09
Thank God for Tesco, Wick.....I don't know how I survived before it came here.

As for Tesco - Thurso...think its a waste of time, it was not needed....would have preferred a little competition with Asda.

What is the current Asda situation?

northener
27-Nov-07, 23:07
Thank God for Tesco, Wick.....I don't know how I survived before it came here.

As for Tesco - Thurso...think its a waste of time, it was not needed....would have preferred a little competition with Asda.

What is the current Asda situation?

Hopefully, they'll buy Somerfields in Wick.

northener
27-Nov-07, 23:13
happy birthday to tesco wick . this store as been open 1 year today . cant belive that its come round so fast . how people talk about it you would think its been there 10 years . how did we manage without it .

Hope you sent it a nice card:)

And a present.

Is there going to be party games? Oooh, what about jelly and ice cream?

I'lll probably be sick and have to go home early, that's what usually happens to me at parties:~(

huh
27-Nov-07, 23:13
I've only been there once since it opened and that was last month. I'll be in Tesco Thurso more, but it doesn't seem all that different to Somerfields.

karia
27-Nov-07, 23:18
In a year you will have a surfeit of big stores.and like the rest of us you will be cloned!

Next, Tesco, Asda, New Look, matalan...get ready to meet yourself on the street..wearing the same stuff to carry home and cook the same stuff and wonder where your decent fishmonger/ butcher/ grocer went.:(

Yes, it is convenient and easy....bland and samey always is!

kariax

gem1982
27-Nov-07, 23:49
In a year you will have a surfeit of big stores.and like the rest of us you will be cloned!

Next, Tesco, Asda, New Look, matalan...get ready to meet yourself on the street..wearing the same stuff to carry home and cook the same stuff and wonder where your decent fishmonger/ butcher/ grocer went.:(

kariax

Here Here Karia Im with you on that one.

Whilst dont get me wrong I do shop in Tescos I have always been a Somerfield regular in Thurso but once it closed down I used Tesco (for tinned and frozen goods - milk etc I get from my local shop) and now will use Tescos as I am not at all fond of the Co-op but in such a small place when there is very limited clothes shops etc you tend to be in a pub sitting next to at least one person wearing the same top from New Look!

Whilst I think it is all good all theses shops and they are bringing in revenue for the towns I am all for supporting the locals!

Why pop into Tescos for a bag of cheap potatoes when you can go into one of the smaller shops and get a bag of John Ogroats tatties that taste better, they're local and well dont cost all that much.

Why buy a lump of beef from Tescos when you can go into any of the local butchers and from reading the post in the recommendations page they all have roaring reputations and get a lump of Beef from a farm just up the road! Lets face it there has been that many scares over meat and poultry recently well none of that has been going on up here so you can be safe in the knowledge that your food is the best that you are eating.

Fish there is what 2 fishmongers in each town and a reasonably busy local harbour in Scrabster where I can only assume the majority of the fish comes from and the fish is caught by local Scottish boats yet people go to Tesco's and buy fish that has been previously frozen so is not technically fresh as in not long out the water (I was in one day and they had prawns or something on their counter sitting in a dish in a block of ice - they had not even bothered defrosting them before putting them on the counter!), its dyed and god knows what else!

Bread and cakes - there are umpteen bakeries in both towns who all make delicious bread, rolls and cakes or you can go to Tesco where their Muffins in particular that I have noticed clearly state do not refreeze which I can only presume is because they have frozen them already! Eggs is another one - there is at least 2 local Egg suppliers in the County that I know off that are free range and extremely tasty - why go to Tescos to buy eggs from caged hens just cos they are cheaper?

There are always so many stories in the papers about food scares whether it be meat or fish or god know what so I personally believe best all round is to take local - that way you know who and what you are dealing with.

Gizmo
27-Nov-07, 23:55

kariax

Honestly...thats just a lot of sentimental guff, times change...move on, and anyway.....name me the last time there was a grocer in Wick that could come close to competing with any of the supermarkets...i'm in my mid 30's (ahem!!) and i dont remember any?....the fruit & veg quality in any of the supermarkets (apart from Lidl) is just as good as any "Local" product you can buy....they also have a lot more variety and are cheaper aswell.

The last time i went to a local fishmonger i bought 4 fillet of fish and it cost me nearly a tenner.....i was kinda shocked at the cost.

The only local product that i buy is Eggs, i kinda like them fresh.

Giz

PS - Let me explain my Lidl comment, the quality of fruit and veg from there is ok.....it just doesnt have a very long shelf life at all, you have to use it within a couple of days or it goes bad, i do buy fruit and veg from Lidl, but i feed it to my Rabbits.

bigface
28-Nov-07, 00:02
Well due to the lack of response to my thread after 47 views.....

After that spiel gem1982 I'm hoping you are able to tell me where I can purchase a decent turkey locally please? Preferrably organic but if not then locally farmed at least. Or is everyone buying their birds from Tesco this year?!

Gizmo
28-Nov-07, 00:06
Here Here Karia Im with you on that one.

Whilst dont get me wrong I do shop in Tescos I have always been a Somerfield regular in Thurso but once it closed down I used Tesco (for tinned and frozen goods - milk etc I get from my local shop) and now will use Tescos as I am not at all fond of the Co-op but in such a small place when there is very limited clothes shops etc you tend to be in a pub sitting next to at least one person wearing the same top from New Look!

Whilst I think it is all good all theses shops and they are bringing in revenue for the towns I am all for supporting the locals!

Why pop into Tescos for a bag of cheap potatoes when you can go into one of the smaller shops and get a bag of John Ogroats tatties that taste better, they're local and well dont cost all that much.

Why buy a lump of beef from Tescos when you can go into any of the local butchers and from reading the post in the recommendations page they all have roaring reputations and get a lump of Beef from a farm just up the road! Lets face it there has been that many scares over meat and poultry recently well none of that has been going on up here so you can be safe in the knowledge that your food is the best that you are eating.

Fish there is what 2 fishmongers in each town and a reasonably busy local harbour in Scrabster where I can only assume the majority of the fish comes from and the fish is caught by local Scottish boats yet people go to Tesco's and buy fish that has been previously frozen so is not technically fresh as in not long out the water (I was in one day and they had prawns or something on their counter sitting in a dish in a block of ice - they had not even bothered defrosting them before putting them on the counter!), its dyed and god knows what else!

Bread and cakes - there are umpteen bakeries in both towns who all make delicious bread, rolls and cakes or you can go to Tesco where their Muffins in particular that I have noticed clearly state do not refreeze which I can only presume is because they have frozen them already! Eggs is another one - there is at least 2 local Egg suppliers in the County that I know off that are free range and extremely tasty - why go to Tescos to buy eggs from caged hens just cos they are cheaper?

There are always so many stories in the papers about food scares whether it be meat or fish or god know what so I personally believe best all round is to take local - that way you know who and what you are dealing with.

Here's a challenge for you then, go buy all the meat/fish/veg/bakery products that you would normally buy in a week from all those lovely local suppliers that you talk about....and lets just see how much more it costs you, i tried it once...and it cost quite a bit more than it did shopping around for good deals in the supermarkets, and to be perfectly honest...i couldnt really tell any difference in quality on like for like products, sure you can buy better quality locally....but you will pay much more for it, and i'm just like most other people i know...the pennies count.

Giz

Julia
28-Nov-07, 00:13
Apparently Tesco Wick made just short of £1,000,000 last week!

gem1982
28-Nov-07, 00:14
I was in George Harpers in Wick on Saturday and bought 2.5lbs (1kg) of Diced Steak and 8 slices of Lorne sausage - there was not a bit of fat on the diced steak, it was lovely and fresh and juicy and the Lorne Sausage was nice thick pieces and tasted of beef not the crap that is used in supermarket bought meats to bulk out the meat and it came to £7.20 or something and on top of that I had a nice pleasant conversation with the man who served me so all in all I think that was an excellent price and excellent service!

Torvaig
28-Nov-07, 00:41
Here's a challenge for you then, go buy all the meat/fish/veg/bakery products that you would normally buy in a week from all those lovely local suppliers that you talk about....and lets just see how much more it costs you, i tried it once...and it cost quite a bit more than it did shopping around for good deals in the supermarkets, and to be perfectly honest...i couldnt really tell any difference in quality on like for like products, sure you can buy better quality locally....but you will pay much more for it, and i'm just like most other people i know...the pennies count.

Giz
Ah but how many people (and I don't necessarily mean you Giz) spend a lot more on things that are a bargain even if you don't really need them and then go to the cafe for some food etc., etc., and I bet a lot of food is thrown out eventually.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to spend their money on whatever and wherever they like and they obviously enjoy the experience but it just annoys me somewhat to have these shops held up as some god or other.....

I personally loathe shopping and run in and out as quickly as possible.

johno
28-Nov-07, 00:48
I know, doesnt seem that long, Good store though. Mrs J go,es up there just for a walkabout. Normally end,s up an expensive walkabout.:~(
[to damn close for comfort though]:roll:

Gizmo
28-Nov-07, 01:14
Ah but how many people (and I don't necessarily mean you Giz) spend a lot more on things that are a bargain even if you don't really need them and then go to the cafe for some food etc., etc., and I bet a lot of food is thrown out eventually.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to spend their money on whatever and wherever they like and they obviously enjoy the experience but it just annoys me somewhat to have these shops held up as some god or other.....

I personally loathe shopping and run in and out as quickly as possible.

I know what you are saying, but i personally throw out very little food, i do all the cooking in my house (Mrs Giz doesnt Do cooking unless it's at work) and i can generally knock up a good feed with anything in the fridge if it needs using, so very little goes to waste, i dont really buy something just because it's a 'Buy One Get One Free' offer, i'm buying it because i need it and if i get a free one then thats a bonus, but yes...sometimes the free item is just one too many and gets binned...but not very often.

But i do have a friend who will buy every reduced item or 'B1G1F' offer he sees, and he has a mountain of unused products in his house that will eventually get binned.

The missus is like you, she hates shopping in Tesco and hates going shopping with me even more as i usually take around 2 hours to get around the place, i love cooking and i always have fresh cooking ideas buzzing around my head so i like to take my time and look at as many products as i can.......and i always come out with a new idea for something tasty, she doesnt seem to complain too much when she sits down for dinner though...lol

Giz

craig
28-Nov-07, 01:39
Having spent £2000.00 in your store, you have no price match guarantee, i find the same item £40.00 cheaper and you tell me buy it from them then. If you want my custom, then you have to prove to me you are the supermarket i should be loyal to, you are the number 1 supermarket. what 3 years running ? not on price, but location. You are the number 1 supermarket 3 years running on profit !!! You have no price match guarantee, yet you make a big deal comparing price between you and asda ? i know asda are better than you, i spent £250.00 recently on a lcd tv, you offered me no price match guarantee, when i could have bought the same item for £40.00 less, yet you are the most profitable supermarket ? And tesco direct ? disorganised and nothing but a joke, i'll buy from argos what i need, i want to support a rural supermarket, but it works both ways !!!

Torvaig
28-Nov-07, 01:43
I know what you are saying, but i personally throw out very little food, i do all the cooking in my house (Mrs Giz doesnt Do cooking unless it's at work) and i can generally knock up a good feed with anything in the fridge if it needs using, so very little goes to waste, i dont really buy something just because it's a 'Buy One Get One Free' offer, i'm buying it because i need it and if i get a free one then thats a bonus, but yes...sometimes the free item is just one too many and gets binned...but not very often.

But i do have a friend who will buy every reduced item or 'B1G1F' offer he sees, and he has a mountain of unused products in his house that will eventually get binned. I think your friend represents a lot of people...:confused

The missus is like you, she hates shopping in Tesco and hates going shopping with me even more as i usually take around 2 hours to get around the place, i love cooking and i always have fresh cooking ideas buzzing around my head so i like to take my time and look at as many products as i can.......and i always come out with a new idea for something tasty, sounds good, well done....she doesnt seem to complain too much when she sits down for dinner though...lol

Giz

P.S. What's your address again........:lol:

Moi x
28-Nov-07, 01:52
Having read this thread I think I might go and buy my meat in a local butcher's shop this weekend. I have only one problem... I don't have a clue where to find the nearest butcher. I have an independent fishmonger and lots of bakers, greengrocers, delicatessens ... yes, but butcher's ... I haven't a scooby. How odd. :confused:

craig
28-Nov-07, 02:15
Wick ? a small town, carpet right, sell poor thin quality carpet and underlay at vastly increased prices, i lived in edinburgh, i know what's what, in a town comprised mostly of poorly built flats, good quality is important. carpet right will not survive here, despite it's employers chosen for there ability to convince the vulnerable, i am a tradesman, i know what is what, these companies and that includes homebase, are trying to sell inferior poor quality merchandise which is inferior at best, take my advice, if you have a project, take the time to to travel to inverness, my flooring cost me £350.00, i was not impressed with the quality & bought out of time restriction. and b&q could have given it me £150.00 cheaper and better quality, these companies are taking advantage of the rural location in which you reside, to pedal merchandise which is inferior and poor quality. i can get better quality in the shetland islands without increased cost, dont be mugs !!!!

gem1982
28-Nov-07, 02:32
Having read this thread I think I might go and buy my meat in a local butcher's shop this weekend. I have only one problem... I don't have a clue where to find the nearest butcher. I have an independent fishmonger and lots of bakers, greengrocers, delicatessens ... yes, but butcher's ... I haven't a scooby. How odd. :confused:

Hahahahahaha sorry i had to laugh - I had a thought - do you have a local Tesco? Chances are the butchers wherever you live have all gone out of business cos Tesco have moved into town! The fishmongers, greengrocers, deli's etc will soon follow suit behind them too so make the most of it now whilst you can

As it is just now. Caithness is booming, Wick more so now that the bigger retail shops have moved in but this boom wont last - Sooner or later Dounreay will leavepossibly even BT and lots of people who have moved into the area will move out and the younger generations will start to fly the coop to go off to University and see the rest of the country etc etc and soon Tesco's and the like will not be making as much money and they will think hmm hang on a minute here we are not making that much mone anymore lets just close the store and move to somewhere bigger and better then when that happens Caithness is stuffed cos by then there wont be any little shops anymore they will all have went bust, shops that have served Thurso, Wick and surrounding areas for donkeys years will all be closed down and then what will happen?

I dont the prices in shops up here are expensive at all, my parents live down the line and oh my god you would be shocked at the prices of stuff down there from their local shops!

riggerboy
28-Nov-07, 09:07
Wick ? a small town, carpet right, sell poor thin quality carpet and underlay at vastly increased prices, i lived in edinburgh, i know what's what, in a town comprised mostly of poorly built flats, good quality is important. carpet right will not survive here, despite it's employers chosen for there ability to convince the vulnerable, i am a tradesman, i know what is what, these companies and that includes homebase, are trying to sell inferior poor quality merchandise which is inferior at best, take my advice, if you have a project, take the time to to travel to inverness, my flooring cost me £350.00, i was not impressed with the quality & bought out of time restriction. and b&q could have given it me £150.00 cheaper and better quality, these companies are taking advantage of the rural location in which you reside, to pedal merchandise which is inferior and poor quality. i can get better quality in the shetland islands without increased cost, dont be mugs !!!!

i agree with most of what you say homebase are well over priced on 90% of their stuff, without a doubt, but if you are wise to the world of DIY you will know not to buy all you need from homebase, as for carpet wise, i just bought a carpert from there and must admit after much haggling i bought my carpet for a fraction of the local cost, infact i came away with a good deal, they did howerver try to charge me the earth for the carpet gripper, screwfix came to the rescue there got 500 feet of the stuff for £ 22, big come down from the £80 they wanted, all in all if you go in remember to haggle, they do a thing called discrectionary discount

karia
28-Nov-07, 12:35
[quote=Gizmo;302690]Honestly...thats just a lot of sentimental guff, times change...move on

Sentimental or not Gizmo, here in Falkirk with all our big supermarkets and chain stores people flock to the Farmers markets and spend a fortune on produce of quality and with known provenance.

Times do change and move on..then it would appear they come full circle but it's not always easy to get back what you've lost!

Glad to hear you like your eggs fresh!;)

karia

bekisman
28-Nov-07, 14:55
Just been in the Thurso Tesco, comparing with the old Sommerfields; impressed.
Pity the cafe is so small, as all seats were taken at 12.15. Also never seen the car park so full either.

Spoke to the Manager there and asked how many lines were stocked in this outlet (bearing in mind that Somerfield had 3,000 and that Wick Tesco 20,000) - it was nice to be told that Thurso has 8,000, a hell of a lot more choice than the dinosaur Somerfields..

It's a British store and will support it.

gem1982
28-Nov-07, 15:10

After that spiel gem1982 I'm hoping you are able to tell me where I can purchase a decent turkey locally please? Preferrably organic but if not then locally farmed at least. Or is everyone buying their birds from Tesco this year?!

Bigface any butcher in the area will happily get you a Turkey for xmas! I shall be ordering my Turkey this weekend from Harolds in Thurso like I do every year. I shall not be wasting any as I go in and tell them I need a Turkey for however many people and they always deliver the perfect sized Turkey and they deliver free of charge right before Xmas so I dont have to clear out my freezer to make room for it! Tesco's will deliver yes but what charging you £7.99 for the pleasure for delivering a frozen Turkey from down south somewhere - down south where there was a major publicised food scare involving Turkeys! Who is to say a turkey from Tesco's is fresh albeit frozen? For all I know they could be selling off leftover turkeys from last year!

Try your butchers I bet you shall be surprised if you look at the overall picture!

bigface
28-Nov-07, 16:19
Hi gem1982. Thanks for the advice.

I no longer live in Caithness, although I've somehow ended up agreeing to cook the Christmas dinner when I come home for the festivities. This is the reason I asked the question on here as I'm unfamilar with the best butchers in the area.

I've spoken to a couple of them on the phone though and I'm just waiting to hear back if they are able to source me an organic one.

Cheers for the response though!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Nov-07, 16:22
Happy 1st Birthday Tesco Wick.May yer year be as happy as mine has been:lol::lol:

gaby2003
28-Nov-07, 20:39

I would strongly recommend you go to George Harpers Butcher for your turkey!we go there all the time its a brilliant butchers and has excellent service as well

Moi x
30-Nov-07, 01:12
Hahahahahaha sorry i had to laugh - I had a thought - do you have a local Tesco? Chances are the butchers wherever you live have all gone out of business cos Tesco have moved into town! The fishmongers, greengrocers, deli's etc will soon follow suit behind them too so make the most of it now whilst you can No, not at all. It turns out there's a butcher well under a mile from my house, I've just never been in it.

You are extrapolating well beyond the small town paradigm. There are lots of Tescos here and we have all the other major supermarkets on the high streets, and in shopping centres and retail parks, both in and out of town. They've coexisted in a dynamical sense for many years, and the specialist high street delicatessens, fishmongers, bakers, etc, are doing fine. I can't speak for the butchers for obvious reasons. :)

As it is just now. Caithness is booming, Wick more so now that the bigger retail shops have moved in but this boom wont last - Sooner or later Dounreay will leavepossibly even BT and lots of people who have moved into the area will move out and the younger generations will start to fly the coop to go off to University and see the rest of the country etc etc and soon Tesco's and the like will not be making as much money and they will think hmm hang on a minute here we are not making that much mone anymore lets just close the store and move to somewhere bigger and better then when that happens Caithness is stuffed cos by then there wont be any little shops anymore they will all have went bust, shops that have served Thurso, Wick and surrounding areas for donkeys years will all be closed down and then what will happen?You are such a pessimist! You might be right about the future after Dounreay but that's not the only long-term scenario and indeed it's your job to make sure it's not the one that ensues! Young people have flown the coop and not come back ever since they could. It happens in all small towns in rural areas and it's very hard to prevent it.

I dont the prices in shops up here are expensive at all, my parents live down the line and oh my god you would be shocked at the prices of stuff down there from their local shops!Shocked at the prices of what? Groceries in corner shops? And where? 'Down the line' is a big place and in my experience most local shops down here are no more expensive than those in Caithness.

Moi x

Torvaig
30-Nov-07, 03:37
Future after Dounreay? Will that be the new reactor then?:lol:

gem1982
30-Nov-07, 14:09
Moi,

The comment regarding Tesco being responsible for the closer of the shops was in fact meant to be taken with a pinch of salt and was meant to be taken as being said with sarcasm. I do apologise if this was mis construed.

You are such a pessimist! You might be right about the future after Dounreay but that's not the only long-term scenario and indeed it's your job to make sure it's not the one that ensues! Young people have flown the coop and not come back ever since they could. It happens in all small towns in rural areas and it's very hard to prevent it.

I would not class anyone as being pessimistic for wondering what would happen to this town without the likes of Dounreay, Vulcan and BT. Dont get me wrong, first thing that would happens is hundreds if not thousands of people would move out of the area, the house prices would be the first to plummet, we would all have no money cos our mortgages would still be through the roof - no money well then it would matter about the shops cos we shall all be skint haha (yes that comment is to be taken with a pinch of salt also)

You might be right about the future after Dounreay but that's not the only long-term scenario and indeed it's your job to make sure it's not the one that ensues!

It certainly is not my job to to make sure it doesnt happen! And if/when it does I certainly wont be sitting here sticking in my tuppence worth over it seeing as I am getting shot down in flames over this topic. All I have done is show support for local shops. Dont get me wrong I know there is shops in this area extract the urine for a better way of putting it and yes I avoid these shops as much as anyone else but I think there are a lot of shops suffering and not just local shops, there is some smaller chain shops closing down too.

I passed Tesco in Wick the other night at about 8pm - there was about 20 cars in the car park! Usually at that time there is a lot more people doing their shopping. I then passed the Tesco in Thurso to find a good 30 or 40 cars stting in their car park, it looked at least half full. Tesco would have seen all this money coming in via their store in Wick and thought here right money spinner up here lets open another store, but in opening the store in Thurso they have shot their Wick shop in the foot.

At the end of the day is is peoples preference where they shop and where they spend their money. No one can change someones mind over that. However in saying that I think in the whole Tesco storm, people eyes have been closed to what is on their doorstep. And no I do not blame tesco for this at all, they can open a store wherever and whenever they like, i blame the ignorance of the people who think Tesco is the best thing since sliced bread!

Giz,

for the record, I done, well no I didnt do my shopping (cos a) I buy everything from local shops anyway and b) I would eat the meat or fish from Tesco's so it would be a waste for me to buy it from there) but I certainly looked into it. I was in Tesco in Wick on I think it was Tuesday night and I stopped off and had a look at their fish counter (counldnt see the meat counter cos it was covered and well would have been hard to buy some fish even if I wanted too cos there was no staff there to serve me). Now (and yes I am bearing in mind that the salmon is on special before someone reminds me of that) but 2 things that struck me a) they have very little choice on their counter and b) OMG their smoked fish is illuminous yellow! (smoked fish is only yellow when they have packed full of dyes and additives!) So anyway back to the task in hand, the salmon I took note of that price seeing as 75% of the counter looked to be made up with it! They sell little stupid bits of salmon for £1.89 (please remember I know they are on special but normally they are £1.89!) and that was for 150g's of just the plain salmon, they had other varietys in lemon juice and stuff but you had to pay more obviously! When you work that out for 150g at £1.89 this equates to £12.60 per kg (if I am wrong please feel free to correct me but I am sure I am right) for salmon from Tesco.

Now this morning I got my MIL to go to the fish shop where the Salmon was £10.00 per kg! And can be cut to whatever size you want so if you want a 500g piece then thats what you shall get - not precut and measured stuff from the supermarket!

Local Shop £10 - Tesco £12.60 !!! But yes the local shops rip people off and remember to quote yourself, every penny counts! Next time I get the chance I shall compare their butcher meat!

Moi x
01-Dec-07, 02:38
Moi,

The comment regarding Tesco being responsible for the closer of the shops was in fact meant to be taken with a pinch of salt and was meant to be taken as being said with sarcasm. I do apologise if this was misconstrued.Thank goodness for that. My reply was as tongue in cheek as yours was dry and saline. :)

I would not class anyone as being pessimistic for wondering what would happen to this town without the likes of Dounreay, Vulcan and BT. Dont get me wrong, first thing that would happens is hundreds if not thousands of people would move out of the area, the house prices would be the first to plummet, we would all have no money cos our mortgages would still be through the roof - no money well then it would matter about the shops cos we shall all be skint haha (yes that comment is to be taken with a pinch of salt also)Yes, that's what would happen if those institutions met their demise without any replacements. Your previous post came over as an absolute prediction not a conditional one.

You might be hit by negative equity but house prices are relatively low in Caithness and you wouldn't suffer in the short to medium term unless you wanted to downsize or move out of the county.

It certainly is not my job to to make sure it doesnt happen! And if/when it does I certainly wont be sitting here sticking in my tuppence worth over it seeing as I am getting shot down in flames over this topic. All I have done is show support for local shops. Dont get me wrong I know there is shops in this area extract the urine for a better way of putting it and yes I avoid these shops as much as anyone else but I think there are a lot of shops suffering and not just local shops, there is some smaller chain shops closing down too.Is it your job to make sure it doesn't happen? From your username I would guess you were born in 1982 so I would also surmise that you have some vested interest in the future economy of Caithness, assuming you wish to stay there. If so, it's as much your job as anyone else's. If not, then, yeah, it's not your problem and there's nothing else I can say. I got out, why shouldn't you?

I passed Tesco in Wick the other night at about 8pm - there was about 20 cars in the car park! Usually at that time there is a lot more people doing their shopping. I then passed the Tesco in Thurso to find a good 30 or 40 cars stting in their car park, it looked at least half full. Tesco would have seen all this money coming in via their store in Wick and thought here right money spinner up here lets open another store, but in opening the store in Thurso they have shot their Wick shop in the foot.

At the end of the day is is peoples preference where they shop and where they spend their money. No one can change someones mind over that. However in saying that I think in the whole Tesco storm, people eyes have been closed to what is on their doorstep. And no I do not blame tesco for this at all, they can open a store wherever and whenever they like, i blame the ignorance of the people who think Tesco is the best thing since sliced bread!I don't think people are wandering around with closed eyes nor do I think they think what you think they think.

I expect Tesco did their homework before they bought the Thurso shop so they know what they're about. I hope so anyway!

In case anyone asks, I don't have any connection to Tesco and I don't even shop there. I'd pick Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Asda (in that order) before expressing any sort of preference for Tesco.

Moi x

bekisman
01-Dec-07, 10:55
Gem1892 "i blame the ignorance of the people who think Tesco is the best thing since sliced bread!"

I must apologise for being ignorant, obviously my 60+ years of world travel have taught me nothing, obviously I should have continued paying over the odds in other shops, obviously I should have timed my visits to Thurso/Wick not to coincide with their lunch-time closing their half-day being shut on Wednesday/Thursday..

Obviously I should continue paying extra for my fuel, obviously I should have been happy to have 3,000 different lines with Somerfield as compared to the extravagant 20,000 lines with Tesco..

For all of this I fully apologise, I now consider myself ignorant..

Moi x
01-Dec-07, 23:56
Gem1892 "i blame the ignorance of the people who think Tesco is the best thing since sliced bread!"

I must apologise for being ignorant, obviously my 60+ years of world travel have taught me nothingHey bekisman, I wouldn't try playing the experience card on Gem1892 if I were you. You may have been travelling for 60+ years but she will have turned 115 this year, assuming she was born in 1892, and she would have been 37 when the first Tesco store opened. You should bow down to her longevity. ;)

Moi x

golach
01-Dec-07, 23:59
Hey bekisman, I wouldn't try playing the experience card on Gem1892 if I were you. You may have been travelling for 60+ years but she will have turned 115 this year, assuming she was born in 1892, and she would have been 37 when the first Tesco store opened. You should bow down to her longevity. ;)
Lol I would assume that Gem1892 is a reference to Liverpool football team, the year they were founded, and gem may be a supporter

scorrie
02-Dec-07, 00:40
Back to school for Moi and Golach!! You have aged Gem by 90 years!!

Moi x
02-Dec-07, 00:44
'That's another fine mess you've got me into Stanley.'

You have no idea how many double entendres and private jokes there are in that sentence.

Scorrie, I haven't aged gem, it was bekisman wot dun it.

Ok, here's a fairly meagre attempt to get this thread back on topic...

How many members, other than me, have never set foot in Wick's Tesco during its first year of existence?

Moi x

bekisman
02-Dec-07, 00:57
gem, sorry about that - me old eyes play up a wee bit at times - I'll have to go to Tesco's opticians

Moi x
02-Dec-07, 02:00
gem, sorry about that - me old eyes play up a wee bit at times - I'll have to go to Tesco's opticiansMake sure you go on a bogof day. :cool: