PDA

View Full Version : Real or Artificial Xmas Tree ?

Anne x
27-Nov-07, 13:26
what are the preferences what do you opt for Fresh Tree every time or Artificial Tree you bring out Year after year or Maybe a Fibre Optic Tree all dressed and ready to go ?

Hibeechick
27-Nov-07, 13:29
I didn't have a tree last year. Im not home much to appreciate it. This year however I have a 2ft Pink fluffy fibre optic one that im going to use.

I only have a small flat so it will just sit fine in the corner and give the budgie somewhere else to perch no doubt lol

nanoo
27-Nov-07, 13:31
I have always loved the real mcCoy. love the smell of pine in the room too. An artificial tree however, is much more convenient though and for that reason i have'nt had a real tree in years. maybe some time in the future i'll take a longing for a real one again. Who knows.:lol:[lol]

karia
27-Nov-07, 13:35
I'm with nanoo on this one!

You cannot beat the festive smell of a real tree...childhood memories!:D

I won't be having any kind of tree though as OH is not mad keen on Christmas.:(

karia

changilass
27-Nov-07, 13:36
I've always had a real tree, the smell is great and its good for firewood after, being a skinflint I usually wait till christmas eve to buy it, when I get it a lot cheeper lol, but with having the wee man, the tree is gonna have to go up earlier this year, so I will either have to dig deep or get an artificial one.

Cinders392
27-Nov-07, 13:37
I have just stuck up my artifical one and my son has been standing looking at it for ages!! Its a fibre optic one too. I just dont like the mess the real one makes. I was brought up with artifical but my partner was brought up with Real. He had a real tree our first xmas! He wasnt here last xmas and I bought the artifical one I have up now! He will be a sad man when he gets home from work. About 2 months ago I actually burnt the one from 2 years ago!!! It was in a pill of tree at the bottom of our garden!!
Couldnt beleive it when I found it at the bottome of pile!!

Ash
27-Nov-07, 13:39
we have an artificial one, prefer them, no mess that way oh and would be worried alfie the pup would lift his leg on a real one!! lol :D

alanatkie
27-Nov-07, 13:40
I use to put up an artificial one but when hubby is at home it has to be a real tree - so this year it will be a real tree.

dandod
27-Nov-07, 13:40
i have always had a real tree.but last year i bought one from a national chain of DIY store in wick and within a matter of hours of it being in the house it started loosing its needles. when the time came to put it out there was not one needle left on it.the neighbours must have thought we had kept the same tree from the year before[lol]. got a really good artificial one from tesco for this year.

changilass
27-Nov-07, 13:49
If you are buying a real tree get one from the likes of the rugby club (if they are selling them again this year), they will have come from the local forests and be newley cut. The first ones start getting cut in august and get sent down south to come back up to the chain stores and are months old before you ever get it home.

A freshly cut Caithness tree doesn't drop any needles and lasts well into the new year.

Hibeechick
27-Nov-07, 13:54
Also ask if your tree has been treated! A lot of chain stores dont treat their trees resulting in the needles dropping.

NLP
27-Nov-07, 14:06
We got a fibre optic one last year someone got it from Argos and found it too small for her house so we got it, its great, never had a real tree.

Anne x
27-Nov-07, 14:36
A freshly cut Caithness tree doesn't drop any needles and lasts well into the new year.

Changilass I bought a real tree from the man (I think from Reay )who used to sell the fresh trees outside Somerfield in Thurso it was beautiful but only lasted until 30th Dec needles everywhere and it was completely bare after me brushing all the needles into a pile to put them out which took hours as vacum didnt like the needles and kept getting clogged up
Mr X decided he would get the garden leaf Vacum and guess what it was on blow not suck !!!
needles everywhere I was not a happy bunny

I now have a Artificial tree !!

Billy Boy
27-Nov-07, 14:45
as always a real tree for us, artificial tree's look to cheap and nasty for me, but thats just my opinion, the only half decent artificial one i ever saw cost over £150 :eek:

grandma
27-Nov-07, 15:06
It'll be a real tree for us. Really like the look and smell of them. Real trees need to be kept watered, just like any other plant and this stops them from losing their needles. Some of them need to be watered every day, depending on the heat of your house.

cuddlepop
27-Nov-07, 15:10
I love the real trees but this year the artificial ones going up as I'm afraid the young dog will decided to make sticks of it.:lol:

bluelady
27-Nov-07, 15:13
Real tree, i usually get a little potted one, then I plant it in the back garden afterwards.

paris
27-Nov-07, 15:42
I brought an 8ft artificial tree 2 yrs ago compleat with cones attached. Looks good and no mess but you cant beat a real tree and yes the smell of pine is worth the mess of the needles. jan x

Tugmistress
27-Nov-07, 15:53
I love the smell of a real tree but with large dogs, wagging tails, cats and just a chaotic house in general a real one doesn't fair too well in my house. If i put one up this year it'll be the artificial one again.

young_fishin_neep
27-Nov-07, 16:03
im with mum, i prefer a nice real one, our artificial one looks a bit old and u have to really fitt it with deco for it to look half decent !

owel xmas is xmas its fun no matter what kind of tree you have !

kaz xxxx

trix
27-Nov-07, 20:56
I won't be having any kind of tree though as OH is not mad keen on Christmas.

karia

weel A,k, we'l just hev til send OH some o e christmas luv!! :D

i pestered an pestered e auld chile til get me a real tree last year (fie e fields ye understand!?) - tradition...

cause it wisna treated it dropd all its needles intil (not ontil...but intil) e carpet. bare soles at yer own risk!! ended up hevin til buy a new carpet!!

i bot one iss year fie studio 24, its a cool little black one. i got a cool angel for e top...sorry, did i say angel??

i ment til say, a beautiful witch wi long long hair and a gorgeous black dress - cost me nearly 30 kwid!!

reminds me o someone...but i choost cana think who it is ifanow!! :lol:

golach
27-Nov-07, 21:16
what are the preferences what do you opt for Fresh Tree every time or Artificial Tree you bring out Year after year or Maybe a Fibre Optic Tree all dressed and ready to go ?

You have missed one option Anne x............No stupid tree, real, false or Fibre.
Its a stupid German custom introduced to the UK by Prince Albert back in Victorian times, nothing to do with the true reason for celebrating Christmas. [disgust]

karia
27-Nov-07, 21:28
weel A,k, we'l just hev til send OH some o e christmas luv!!

i pestered an pestered e auld chile til get me a real tree last year (fie e fields ye understand!?) - tradition...

cause it wisna treated it dropd all its needles intil (not ontil...but intil) e carpet. bare soles at yer own risk!! ended up hevin til buy a new carpet!!

i bot one iss year fie studio 24, its a cool little black one. i got a cool angel for e top...sorry, did i say angel??

i ment til say, a beautiful witch wi long long hair and a gorgeous black dress - cost me nearly 30 kwid!!

reminds me o someone...but i choost cana think who it is ifanow!!

You send all the luv and wishes you can trix!

OH lost his dad last Christmas so is a bit apprehensive about this one.

My Christmas is already made special by having my buddy back!:D

Seasons greetings to e auld chile..who seems to have disappeared...should Liz and I get the 'copters out again?;)

Best add ..I like the thought of your Xmas tree..lest we be deemed off topic!

AK xx

Angela
27-Nov-07, 21:32
You have missed one option Anne x............No stupid tree, real, false or Fibre.

Enter Scrooge, stage left....! :roll: Bah, humbug!!!

I don't bother about other decorations much, but I do love to have a tree. I'd much rather have a real one, but for practical and financial reasons this year's will be modestly sized and artificial.

I suddenly feel almost festive! :D

the charlatans
27-Nov-07, 21:33
Well i have a wee Artificial tree and its because i have a husband who refused to put his hand in his pocket years back to go and purchase us a real one so i went out and got us a rather tacky little green plastic job.

Ta-da. Instant Christmas - although i don't like mine up until the 2nd Saturday of December at the earliest or i find i get bored looking at it.

The plastic tree amuses me greatly as hubby comes from a family of foresters who take a hissy fit every time it comes out. [evil] har har

karia
27-Nov-07, 21:34
Well i have a wee Artificial tree and its because i have a husband who refused to put his hand in his pocket years back to go and purchase us a real one so i went out and got us a rather tacky little green plastic job.

Ta-da. Instant Christmas - although i don't like mine up until the 2nd Saturday of December at the earliest or i find i get bored looking at it.

The plastic tree amuses me greatly as hubby comes from a family of foresters who take a hissy fit every time it comes out. [evil] har har

I love Christmas Irony..Well done!;)

karia

Big Jean
27-Nov-07, 21:41
I have artificial Christmas trees, and have for a number of years now . Although we love the scent of the pine, it doesn't love us, and causes breathing problems for my children, due to allergies . Got rid of the real tree, and problems ended .
I love to light and decorate the trees, and they have been up for a couple of weeks now . Keeps me in a festive mood .

Anne x
27-Nov-07, 22:42
Its a stupid German custom introduced to the UK by Prince Albert back in Victorian times, nothing to do with the true reason for celebrating Christmas. [disgust]

Bah !!! Humbug You are sure your'e no still that grumpy old man ? [lol]

helenwyler
27-Nov-07, 23:07
Bah !!! Humbug You are sure your'e no still that grumpy old man ?

He's still grumpy Anne x, just not original!;)

(I only know this from his signature![lol])

wifie
27-Nov-07, 23:24
Has to be a real tree for us - love it! Golach you're an owld humbug - does mrs g share your opinion? Only put our tree up week before christmas and keep it well watered - minimum needle dropping! I would have liked to have seen your face Anne x when the leaf thingy was on blow! Gave me a laugh just now though - thanks!

Julia
28-Nov-07, 00:20
Artificial fibre optic tree for us! No mess, no decorating, just plug 'n' go, what could be simpler. It looks so pretty too at least it does if you remember to have it on during the day otherwise it looks like a giant green bottle brush! [lol]

Anne x
28-Nov-07, 00:42
Has to be a real tree for us - love it! Golach you're an owld humbug - does mrs g share your opinion? Only put our tree up week before christmas and keep it well watered - minimum needle dropping! I would have liked to have seen your face Anne x when the leaf thingy was on blow! Gave me a laugh just now though - thanks!

Can you imagine the scenario !!! Me moi trying to pick up needles etc roaring at top of voice and leaf thing humming and no disrespect we were going to a funeral Service at night in St Peters for a lovely man