PDA

View Full Version : Caithness "Structures"

scotsboy
26-Nov-07, 16:54
Just noticed the article on the main page about the opening of Keiss Hall. Now I am sure this is a fine functional building, and I don’t mean any disrespect to it in particular, but when I looked at the photo, it just reminded me of another non-descript building. I have no doubt it will serve a great function to the local community, and will be the centre of many community activities and my point is not to highlight this one particular structure, but all new structures in Caithness in general – has there been one which is aesthetically different or architecturally challenging ? Or has building design just become too expensive?

Cattach
26-Nov-07, 17:05
Just noticed the article on the main page about the opening of Keiss Hall. Now I am sure this is a fine functional building, and I don’t mean any disrespect to it in particular, but when I looked at the photo, it just reminded me of another non-descript building. I have no doubt it will serve a great function to the local community, and will be the centre of many community activities and my point is not to highlight this one particular structure, but all new structures in Caithness in general – has there been one which is aesthetically different or architecturally challenging ? Or has building design just become too expensive?

Do not judge a book by its cover!! The new Keiss Hall like many around the county is a supere facility won for the community through hard work by the Hall committee. Not just fundraising but having to get through the inumerable hoops required to get external funding. Costs do limit building style but it is better to get a community facility which serves its purpose but not aesthetically good looking on the outside than not have one at all.

Well done Alan Johnstone and committee - frm a non-Keisser!

scotsboy
26-Nov-07, 17:10
You are missing my point Cattach - I have stated that it is probably a great functional building, I am not concerned about the functionality, nor the Keiss building specifically - but that every building that goes up is non-descript, mundane and pretty bland..........or am I being too critical?

Cattach
26-Nov-07, 17:24
You are missing my point Cattach - I have stated that it is probably a great functional building, I am not concerned about the functionality, nor the Keiss building specifically - but that every building that goes up is non-descript, mundane and pretty bland..........or am I being too critical?

I was not missing your point but making a few points of my own. I was really wanting to take the opportunity to thank and praise the work of those individuals who put in much of their own time and, often money, for their community. That above all is the important thing in this sort of situation - community effort and community spirit.

Metalattakk
26-Nov-07, 17:48
Or has building design just become too expensive?

They obviously used up all their budget on the extravagant decorations for the opening visit of John Thurso. ;-)

badger
26-Nov-07, 19:07
I have commented before on the general bad design of many new buildings up here, particularly houses. Why do they have to be so unattractive? There was a programme on tv the other day showing housing estates that you made want to live in them with balconies, gardens, greenery, sensible parking etc. Then you look at those new houses by the Co-op in Thurso and think, who on earth given a choice would want to live in them? Dornoch is being ruined by the new houses there - totally out of proportion, overshadowing the older buildings nearby and much too close to them. A beautiful town spoilt by greed and lack of imagination. I don't believe it's all about money. It's ignorance and laziness.

davem
26-Nov-07, 19:10
The houses at the coop are uninspiring to th nth degree.
What possed them to choose such appalling colours just to complete the dismal effect?

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Nov-07, 19:12
They obviously used up all their budget on the extravagant decorations for the opening visit of John Thurso. ;-)

lol!

:P

Rheghead
26-Nov-07, 19:20
I agree with Scotsboy and Badger. The Caithness vernacular building style is fast becoming the mundane kit house and office block.

Cattach
26-Nov-07, 19:31

It really is pity some people have to lower the tone of the debate and detract from the great work done by local communities. I do hope you put in effort in such cases and not just throw nasty jibes without any degree of justification. And I suspect a political and/or social status jibe.

Metalattakk
26-Nov-07, 22:18
It really is pity some people have to lower the tone of the debate and detract from the great work done by local communities. I do hope you put in effort in such cases and not just throw nasty jibes without any degree of justification. And I suspect a political and/or social status jibe.

Do you hear that 'whoosh' sound? That's the sound of humour flying right over your head.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/k6.jpg

Margaret M.
27-Nov-07, 02:01
>>Last edited by Metalattakk : 26-Nov-07 at 21:24. Reason: Adding image for comedic effect.

Loved it!

I totally agree with you, Scotsboy. It is sad that buildings from centuries ago are so beautiful and now that we have the equipment/resources they slap any old eyesore up. It is the same over here.

Skerries
27-Nov-07, 10:59
I agree with the comments about some new buildings being ugly. It's not just about cost, though, it's a lack of imagination. We had to take a kit house because it was the cheapest but that doesn't mean you have to have grotesque coloured harling or a hideous layout.

If you want an example of how industrial architecture has changed for the worst, take a look at Dounreay... the dark green sheds and mirror monstrosity that have gone up recently. :eek:

And in Thurso... the muck yellow housing at the Co-op, the biege and brown outsized toytown effect of the Weigh Inn (which should have got a carbuncle award), and the flats in Mount Vernon.

I don't think anyone would argue that people don't deserve a good village hall, affordable housing, etc. but it's down to architects and the planning deparment to aim a bit higher in terms of the outside appearance of these buildings. I don't know why people become architects if they have no interest in aesthetics and appearance, or maybe they just have no ability in that area! New buildings don't have to be so ugly.

badger
27-Nov-07, 11:44
I don't believe half these buildings have ever seen a real architect but .... having said that Thurso High was designed by one of this country's most famous and is hideous in my opinion, as is the college, as are most new school buildings. Compare any old school with a modern one and give me the old any day. Our children deserve better. Local authority housing is usually instantly recognisable in most places, although there are exceptions which show how it can be done. This is an insult to potential occupants and does nothing to make them want to maintain either buildings or gardens.

Any chance someone in the planning dept. is reading this? How did some oversized, out of keeping, new private houses which stick out like sore thumbs ever get permission?

Cattach
27-Nov-07, 12:20
Do you hear that 'whoosh' sound? That's the sound of humour flying right over your head.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/k6.jpg

Well done, John Thurso. You made an effort to impress and that's why you increased your majority at the last election. Good to see you appreciated the wonderful efforts of the local community and the wonderful building they had constructed. Don't let us be fooled by old building being suitable for today's purpose. They were often stark, grey and cold and homes many of you would really not live in. Wonder why so many new modern looking house are built?!!!! The answer - they are so much more comfortable and environmentally friendly than the slums of the past. Come on Scotsboy, take our country into the 21st Century with practical and environmentally suitable building. Stop sentimentalising!!

badger
27-Nov-07, 13:37
Well done, John Thurso. You made an effort to impress and that's why you increased your majority at the last election. Good to see you appreciated the wonderful efforts of the local community and the wonderful building they had constructed. Don't let us be fooled by old building being suitable for today's purpose. They were often stark, grey and cold and homes many of you would really not live in. Wonder why so many new modern looking house are built?!!!! The answer - they are so much more comfortable and environmentally friendly than the slums of the past. Come on Scotsboy, take our country into the 21st Century with practical and environmentally suitable building. Stop sentimentalising!!

There is no law that says a modern building, however environmentally friendly, has to be ugly. It is perfectly possible for modern to be attractive with character - it just requires a little imagination and a look at what other countries do.

One reason new buildings are replacing old ones, that could easily be refurbished, insulated, have modern heating installed etc., is that the VAT laws favour newbuild over restoration so it is cheaper to build new. Crazy [disgust]

scotsboy
27-Nov-07, 14:35

I'm not sure if it is a problem that effects the whole of Scotland, but the building aesthetics of most new structures in Caithness is (IMHO) dire. I would hope all buildings are practical, I see little that is environmentally "suitable" in the majority of new building built in Caithness. Not sure if I am even being sentimental, just like a bit of ingenuity and difference.