PDA

View Full Version : SCOTLAND 2 - 1 NORWAY!!

mike.mckenzie
08-Sep-05, 14:34
Come on who watched it! The boys were superb last night. Darren Fletcher is turning into a real quality player, and Barry Ferguson proved he is waaaaay better than Blackburn Rovers. Paul Hartley did really well as well, the Scotland midfield is starting to look like its international class!

What a difference Walter's made, have to admit I was dubious about him, and wouyld have preferred Strachan, and my hat is currently being digested as we speak. McCoist has got to be helping out with Miller as well.

Oh and i cheered almost (almost) as loud when Healy got the winner against England! Petty? Yes. Fun? Without a doubt!

:evil [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

moshmosh
08-Sep-05, 16:48
It was indeed a beautiful night of football all round after tuning in to watch England after a Scotland victory to see they struggling against a League 1 side was fantastic.

roybacer
08-Sep-05, 17:56
football=booooooring!!!!

Rubha_an_Tuir
08-Sep-05, 21:14
Superb evening's football. So pleasing to see the boys playing with passion and determination again. Whole country gets a lift from it. We're not great, but we never really have been, but at least we're punching above our weight again.

RaT

lassieinfife
08-Sep-05, 21:30
[quote="roybacer"]football=booooooring!!!![/quote

Awwww come on roybracer even I as a dyed in the wool footie hater :( can chear the fact that Scotland won a fine game and that England got beat snigger [lol] :lol: :p ........opz sorry :eyes ...... not :lol:

2little2late
08-Sep-05, 21:58
Wouldn't it be great if the tables turn and Scotland qualify for the finals and England fail to qualify? How embarrasing would that be for England? It was only a few months ago when the pundits already had England winning the world cup next year.

What really made me angry this morning on BBC news 24 sport report at 5am. It was all about England getting beat by Ireland, a couple of other results got a mention and Scotland never got mentioned at all.

How's that for total bias? [mad]

lassieinfife
08-Sep-05, 22:15
what exactly do you expect from the ENGLISH broadcasting corperation? [disgust]

Rheghead
09-Sep-05, 01:04
Well they're all crawling out of the woodwork now aren't they? :roll:

May I remind everyone that a bad patch in English football is as rare as a good patch in Scottish football so when they coincide it is truly a rare occurance. So enjoy it while it lasts...:evil

I am sure that Scotland would swap places and groups with England right now, at least English qualification is still a realistic possibility rather than an 'if and a but and a prayer' or even a miracle.

Come on Scotland!!
http://members.aol.com/sabbytut/Flag-St-George.gif

lassieinfife
09-Sep-05, 12:14
[quote="Rheghead"]Well they're all crawling out of the woodwork now aren't they? :roll:

May I remind everyone that a bad patch in English football is as rare as a good patch in Scottish football so when they coincide it is truly a rare occurance. So enjoy it while it lasts...:evil

I am sure that Scotland would swap places and groups with England right now, at least English qualification is still a realistic possibility rather than an 'if and a but and a prayer' or even a miracle.

Come on Scotland!!
http://members.aol.com/sabbytut/Flag-St-George.gif[/quote

I have no problem with England winning, what I do have a problem with is the totally bias approach and commentary of the so called BBC commentaitors regardless which sport they are reporting on... [lol] think it should be renamed the English Broadcasting Corp [mad] and I dont think that its only the Scots who feel this way :(

Joey
09-Sep-05, 13:12
Lets not get too carried away, but at least our pride has been restored !!! Well done Walter.

Rheghead
09-Sep-05, 13:40
what I do have a problem with is the totally bias approach and commentary of the so called BBC commentaitors regardless which sport they are reporting on... think it should be renamed the English Broadcasting Corp
I disagree with you whole heartedly with you lassie. Bias works both ways.

Remember back to the Olympics 2004?

The BBC reporters were instructed by it's Chief Executive to not even mention the wrd 'English' as they were competing under a GB banner. But I live in Scotland and I am privy to watching 'Reporting Scotland' and Scottish newspapers. There were line ups of just the scottish contingent and they only reported the little Scottish successes. Why the discrepancy from a BBC programme? Are they in violation of their Chief's instructions?

Go figure, is that biased?

England does not have the luxury of a 'Reporting England' programme or even an 'English Press' mentality in name, if so, it would come over as elitist claptrap in my view.

When you next watch 'Reporting Scotland' with Jackie Bird, try to imagine that every time she says 'Scotland' or 'Scottish' replace it with'England' or 'English'. You will see what I am on about.

Another little bias thing that sticks n my craw is when the English born Scottish footballer makes a mistake, we are all too quickly reminded that he is English born!! [lol] go figure!

I agree with you that the reporting is biased but that is JUST because there are 15 million scots and 40 million english, who is their biggest audience?

I heard from a friend that he is tired of hearing about '66. I am too, but if the Scots had won in '66 do you really think Jackie Bird would not be mentioning it now? :roll:

Just accept that bias works both ways and we have to accept it.

bigjjuk
09-Sep-05, 15:33
hey guys, what is it about the scottish hating the english so much, especially at football. now as a english men i watched both games. Scotland played fantastic and deserved to win the match, england were terrible and it made me mad, I agree that the tv programs do seem to put all the media onto the english side, but look at this way in england there is a population of roughly 56 million and scotland 6 million. If you were advertising to sell a product, which country would you spend more time try to sell too??? That is exactly what the media is doing trying to rack the tv watchers in to watch there program and because of this you scots take it to heart and think that us english dont think of you guys at all. Well you may not like this but I think the scots are great and you are wonderfull people all I ask is the same curtesy back.

Ill stop whinging now iv had my say:)

Rheghead
09-Sep-05, 15:41
Is a pat on England's back necessarily a slap in Scotland's face? Or even visa versa?

No for goodness sake!

scorrie
09-Sep-05, 17:31
what I do have a problem with is the totally bias approach and commentary of the so called BBC commentaitors regardless which sport they are reporting on... think it should be renamed the English Broadcasting Corp
I disagree with you whole heartedly with you lassie. Bias works both ways.

Remember back to the Olympics 2004?

The BBC reporters were instructed by it's Chief Executive to not even mention the wrd 'English' as they were competing under a GB banner. But I live in Scotland and I am privy to watching 'Reporting Scotland' and Scottish newspapers. There were line ups of just the scottish contingent and they only reported the little Scottish successes. Why the discrepancy from a BBC programme? Are they in violation of their Chief's instructions?

Go figure, is that biased?

England does not have the luxury of a 'Reporting England' programme or even an 'English Press' mentality in name, if so, it would come over as elitist claptrap in my view.

When you next watch 'Reporting Scotland' with Jackie Bird, try to imagine that every time she says 'Scotland' or 'Scottish' replace it with'England' or 'English'. You will see what I am on about.

Another little bias thing that sticks n my craw is when the English born Scottish footballer makes a mistake, we are all too quickly reminded that he is English born!! [lol] go figure!

I agree with you that the reporting is biased but that is JUST because there are 15 million scots and 40 million english, who is their biggest audience?

I heard from a friend that he is tired of hearing about '66. I am too, but if the Scots had won in '66 do you really think Jackie Bird would not be mentioning it now? :roll:

Just accept that bias works both ways and we have to accept it.

Back to school Rheghead, you are ten million over for Scotland and ten million short for England.

What you say is correct however, Scotland are just as good at looking through Saltire tinted spectacles when commenting on Scottish teams or individuals and are every bit as prone to bringing up beating England while they were World Champions, some 38 years after the event, as the English are likely to trot out their biggest success time after time. It just seems to happen more often because England have many more events in which they are competitive than we do and their football team is usually involved in the finals of the major events. Scotland must be in the running for taking the most joy out of watching a rival country fail and perhaps this makes the commentators rub it in more when England are doing well. Perhaps if Rheghead keeps nicking 10 million from England's population and adding it to ours we might reverse the roles in the near future LOL

EDDIE
09-Sep-05, 17:56
I dont believe it scotland actually one a game how rare is that lol

zappster
09-Sep-05, 18:13
What made the night even better after both results was seeing Ian Wright spit the dummy oot hahahahaha that was the icing on the cake!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
& Its attitudes like that that makes us 'JOCKS' love to see the English lose!!
WE lose we get on with it..
England lose & Sven has to go!! :lol:

Rheghead
10-Sep-05, 00:39
Back to school Rheghead, you are ten million over for Scotland and ten million short for England.

Just to clarify. You are correct i did slightly exaggerate, but as i understand that there are 5 million Scots living in England and 5 million elsewhere. We are digreesing on this thread though. :lol:

squidge
10-Sep-05, 12:49
I watched scotland win with my very very scottish friend - so scottish he is playing william wallace today and tomorow in a re enactment event at stirling castle! It was great and i cheered along with him, bit my nails along with him and enjoyed everymoment of it.

We then watched England lose and he comiserated and sighed along with me and hten i turned round and he was SNIGGERING!!!!!!!

Having said that i had clearly said early on in the evening - " well we can watch Scotland lose tonight" so i allowed him his wee snigger and didnt complain too much

Its all good fun and a bit of friendly footie rivalry always makes watching a match more fun

roybacer
10-Sep-05, 14:17
didnt cheer football is just rubbish

2little2late
10-Sep-05, 18:50
I think the main reason the Scots love to see England lose is because England think every game they play they are going to win. They are even talking of WHEN England win the world cup next year.

But, every time Scotland play they aren't expected to win, although the players do not go out thinking they can win.
Scots supporters take it well when they lose. When England lose it is a disaster.

Let's face it until England stop being big headed and stop thinking they are the best in the world other countries will stop feeling the way they do about them. Until then it will be great seeing them get beat.

scorrie
10-Sep-05, 18:58

Just to clarify. You are correct i did slightly exaggerate, but as i understand that there are 5 million Scots living in England and 5 million elsewhere. We are digreesing on this thread though. :lol:

Don't know where you get your figures Rheghead but it's time you changed your source.

Even to the layman, a figure of an equal amount of Scots in England to that in Scotland looks a glaring error. This is confirmed by the last census which shows just under 800,000 Scots born people living in England.

You don't happen to do the unemployment figures for the government do you?

Rheghead
11-Sep-05, 00:58
I think the main reason the Scots love to see England lose is because England think every game they play they are going to win. They are even talking of WHEN England win the world cup next year.

But, every time Scotland play they aren't expected to win, although the players do not go out thinking they can win.
Scots supporters take it well when they lose. When England lose it is a disaster.

Let's face it until England stop being big headed and stop thinking they are the best in the world other countries will stop feeling the way they do about them. Until then it will be great seeing them get beat.

Well 2little2late there in lies why Scotland will never win the world cup. Have you never heard of 'Positive thought'? IOW, if you think you will fail then you will subconciously find a way of doing exactly that. If you think you can win then you will give it your best shot.

Just a passing comment but negative thought or 'the voice of doom' seems to me to be part of the Scottish psyche.

You know it is better to have soared and take the big dive than never to have got off the ground. ;) :cool:

2little2late
11-Sep-05, 18:42

Well 2little2late there in lies why Scotland will never win the world cup. Have you never heard of 'Positive thought'? IOW, if you think you will fail then you will subconciously find a way of doing exactly that. If you think you can win then you will give it your best shot.

Just a passing comment but negative thought or 'the voice of doom' seems to me to be part of the Scottish psyche.

You know it is better to have soared and take the big dive than never to have got off the ground. ;) :cool:

What I meant by this was, T.V. pundits,(mainly English) do not expect Scotland to win, the players themselves obviously believe they can win other wise they would not be playing for their country. But the differnce is that Scotland do not bore us all with the expectation of winning every match they play.
Sorry if I made myself sound negative.

dpw39
12-Sep-05, 15:46
I'm not into football, even being English, however, if Scotland are playing (whether it be England or any other nation), then I always have a soft spot for Scotland.

I may be English, but my home and my heart is in Scotland, Caithness to be precise.

It would be nice to see Scotland win on occasion, (preferably the World Cup) unfortunately, they would probably go over-board with the celebrations... :confused

So I'll have to stick to watching minority sports (SPL) :lol:

Anything that highlights Scotland and Caithness in particular can't be all that bad. It's got to be a fabulous place to live in, as you lot are here as well as I.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

roybacer
13-Sep-05, 00:54
who cares football is pointless argue over sumfin worth arguing,football is a flukey game,will never know whos gona win all times r crap