PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas

drmopp
24-Nov-07, 22:38
I've recently started putting seed and fatballs out and have seen a couple (maybe more species) that I haven't seen before and don't recognise. Both are similar to sparrows in size. I think one is a finch but not sure, it didn't seem to have the pinkish colour of a chaffinch, but did have (I think) a couple of white stripes along it's flanks. The other has yellowish green upper plumage and a yellow chest. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any close up pictures.

Ricco
24-Nov-07, 22:41
I've recently started putting seed and fatballs out and have seen a couple (maybe more species) that I haven't seen before and don't recognise. Both are similar to sparrows in size. I think one is a finch but not sure, it didn't seem to have the pinkish colour of a chaffinch, but did have (I think) a couple of white stripes along it's flanks. The other has yellowish green upper plumage and a yellow chest. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any close up pictures.

The first one sounds like a female chaffinch and the second like a greenfinch. Try the RSPB web site to see if these are correct.