PDA

View Full Version : After Hours tonight in Halkirk

davem
24-Nov-07, 18:42
Hi All
After Hours are playing the Smiddy Bar tonight in Halkirk. John Newton on guitar, no Stu Maitland this time sadly. Hope a few can brave the weather - its a new music venue and deserves supporting. 9.00 till late. Hope to see lots there.
Dave

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Nov-07, 18:44
Wow! The once reclusive John Newton. Finally overcome his stagefright, has he?

Boozeburglar
24-Nov-07, 18:46
And a man with less reason to have any hesitation you could not find.

Deemac
28-Nov-07, 16:08
How was this gig?

I've heard its quite a small venue.

Just being nosey!!

davem
28-Nov-07, 17:57
We had to play a little more quietly but there were about 30 people there. Considering that it was as foul a night as we've had for a while it went really well.
The space is split at the bottom where we played by access to exits and toilets so it takes a bit of working out how to set up but a good crowd, I'd go back certainly.

canuck
28-Nov-07, 21:12
We had to play a little more quietly but there were about 30 people there. Considering that it was as foul a night as we've had for a while it went really well.
The space is split at the bottom where we played by access to exits and toilets so it takes a bit of working out how to set up but a good crowd, I'd go back certainly.

I'm glad to read that it went well!

zebedy
28-Nov-07, 23:26
'mon the newton

appleskin
29-Nov-07, 00:18
Wow! The once reclusive John Newton. Finally overcome his stagefright, has he? ive known john newton for a long time,i,ve seen him play to on to many stages and to well to be someone suffering from stagefright, he is just a bit shy,your opinion on him is far out as the contents of your first nappie.

davem
29-Nov-07, 00:18
He was as impressive as ever.

Jeemag_USA
29-Nov-07, 00:33
I have also seen John Newton play many's a time, the man is excellent, and a hell of a nice bloke, when I was growing up in Thurso I could hear him practice from my bedroom windae ;) . Also had many good nights watching After Hours, Ian Sinclair is one of my heros, and they played at my wedding [lol]

Jeid
29-Nov-07, 00:47

And this comment comes from the man who's a superstar on the stage?

rob murray
29-Nov-07, 13:18
I have also seen John Newton play many's a time, the man is excellent, and a hell of a nice bloke, when I was growing up in Thurso I could hear him practice from my bedroom windae ;) . Also had many good nights watching After Hours, Ian Sinclair is one of my heros, and they played at my wedding [lol]

Never saw John playing, but my brother in law, Wullie ( an excellent player himself ) and other players I used to know really, really rated John, especially his slide guitar abilities.

theboss
29-Nov-07, 13:56
I've known John since I was 11 or 12 years old. He taught me how to play and he was a fantastic teacher aswell as a great bloke.

His guitar abilities are amazing. He can play all styles of guitar to a fantastic level but I would say that it is slide, blues and country where he really excels himself.

theboss
29-Nov-07, 14:01
[QUOTE=Jeemag_USA;303293]Ian Sinclair is one of my heros [QUOTE]

Ian Sinclair is one of my heroes aswell Jeemag. If I have half as much enthusiasm for local live music as he does when I am his age then I would be delighted.

Ian has been more than helpful to me in my own musical development and has also helped alot of the younger generation of musicians in Caithness. A true legend in the music scene who often goes un-noticed.

Aye!

rob murray
29-Nov-07, 14:38
[quote=Jeemag_USA;303293]Ian Sinclair is one of my heros [quote]

Ian Sinclair is one of my heroes aswell Jeemag. If I have half as much enthusiasm for local live music as he does when I am his age then I would be delighted.

Ian has been more than helpful to me in my own musical development and has also helped alot of the younger generation of musicians in Caithness. A true legend in the music scene who often goes un-noticed.

Aye!

Here ! Here ! Ian has been involved in local music going back a long time at least to the 60's ( might be into the late 1950's ? ) He has had many bands over the years and given many people the opportunity to play. A favourite band of mine based around Ian was " Harvey and the Wallbangers"

Jeid
29-Nov-07, 16:12
I've only known Ian for a couple of years, but he's some kid. Very, very helpful to local musicians. Many bands, including my own, have a lot to thank that man for. He's very underrated in the local music scene.

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Nov-07, 16:54
And this comment comes from the man who's a superstar on the stage?

Superstar and stagefright are two different things. Am no' guitar-posing narcissist, either, but I fair put myself about onstage and actually look like am enjoying it, unlike so many young po-faced guitarists these days. Cheer up.

Am Legion on the dance-flair, though, by the way.

:)

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Nov-07, 16:56

The guy was a bit of a myth/ enigma during my teen years. Never seen him play once. Not too bothered, mind. Will he be playing any gigs around Christmas time? I heard he can play the 'Crossroads cutting-heads' duel - I'd love to see/ hear that.

Jeid
29-Nov-07, 17:16
Superstar and stagefright are two different things. Am no' guitar-posing narcissist, either, but I fair put myself about onstage and actually look like am enjoying it, unlike so many young po-faced guitarists these days. Cheer up.

Am Legion on the dance-flair, though, by the way.

:)

Aye, but the point is, just because the man is shy, that's hardly any reason to put him down. I think John's days of throwing himself about the stage are long gone. You don't have to throw yourself around to look like you're enjoying yourself imo. Look at Nate Mendel from the Foo's. Pretty much stands in the same place all gig, bobs his head out of time and he's having fun.

Jumping around the stage is all very well, but if your band are crap, or you have no ability... then it makes no difference.

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Nov-07, 17:31
As we all know, gauging emotion is difficult to render through text, so, for the record, I wasn't putting him down. When I was growing up, me and my guitar-related pals often sought out gigs where John Newton was playing, because... he was the bees-knees apparently. Thing is, he never did appear when we turned up. I reckon it was our bad fashion sense and furrowed eyebrows that put him off, but I've genuinely been wanting to see him play since I were a nipper. Seeing as you seem to know him, Jeid, do you know when he's playing next? I would really love to see him play. Seriously.

As for Nate? Well, as you rightly say, he does very little. Which is probably why I can't picture him, nor remember much about his performances the last two times I've seen Foo Fighters.

Anyway, check out Wilko Johnson here with Dr. Feelgood. Now that's a gadge worth watching on the guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_jmIYyskDM8

Jeid
29-Nov-07, 17:38
The last time I saw Dave Grohl, his performance was hardly memorable. He moved a hell of a lot more when I saw the Foo's in 2000.

As for Newton, I've not idea. I'm pretty sure he's going to be playing with After Hours until next year at least... so I'm sure they'll be playing sometime around Christmas. Dave usually posts when they are playing. Keep your eyes open.

I'm also sure he plays/has played in a band with theboss' dad.

Sometimes you do remember people who move around a lot... some people end up looking like they're taking a fit, rather than enjoying themselves though ;)

theboss
29-Nov-07, 17:43
[QUOTE=Jeid;303575]
I'm also sure he plays/has played in a band with theboss' dad.
QUOTE]

He does aye. Scottish function stuff. Accordion, drums and guitar. While not my cup of tea and went to see them (Fusion) one night and was yet again blown away with John's guitar playing. He just knows exactly when and what to play.

I'll have to catch him with After Hours though. I'm sure they'll playing over the festive period. I'd like to see Stuart Maitland and John playing together in After Hours. That would be superb!

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Nov-07, 17:46
Well, let me know; and I'll (probably) come along.

Deemac
29-Nov-07, 21:05
As we all seem to be on the John Newton theme, hear are some of my own thoughts.

I met John early 1986. Myself (drums) and Graham Fulton (bass) started to rehearse with John in Tommie Robertson's studio (Sailing Shoes) at Scapa House Hotel. We didn't get very far as a band until Jamie Sutherland from Wick joined on vocals and harmonica. We decided to call ourselves the "Tomb Stone Blues Band" (or TSB band!!), but rapidly changed this to "Against the Grain."

John was always the star of the show and when he flew, he flew with the highest I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. His slide playing could leave punters in tears. We played in such notable venues as Domino's in Wick, the American Base at Forss and many local pubs etc. I can't recall how long this band lasted but have some recordings of John (One recorded live in the Thurso Club dated 30/01/1987 on cassette!!) John and I also collaborated with a fabulous singer called Ralph ??? (sorry I don't recall his second name) with some original pop type material. (we never gigged).

This came and went and I seem to remember eventually ending up with John in the afore mentioned Ian Sinclairs band (then called Barracuda) - Mike Chandler on bass anyone? Steve ? (American guitarist). Again, John was always the unassuming lead guitarist that just shone when he soloed.

My last involvement with John was as a fill in guitarist with a rock band ("Roadworks") playing at an early Edge of the World Festival. The rehearsal was fabulous (and recorded) - especially the two blues improvisations, but John just didn't turn up on the day of the gig for some reason!! (we had another guitarist).

Anyway, good to hear he's still active (I know he's very busy with his teaching).

appleskin
30-Nov-07, 00:12
Aye, but the point is, just because the man is shy, that's hardly any reason to put him down. I think John's days of throwing himself about the stage are long gone. You don't have to throw yourself around to look like you're enjoying yourself imo. Look at Nate Mendel from the Foo's. Pretty much stands in the same place all gig, bobs his head out of time and he's having fun.

Jumping around the stage is all very well, but if your band are crap, or you have no ability... then it makes no difference.
i agree,i think someboy is speaking through a hole in his can

Jeemag_USA
30-Nov-07, 02:34
As we all seem to be on the John Newton theme, hear are some of my own thoughts.

I met John early 1986. Myself (drums) and Graham Fulton (bass) started to rehearse with John in Tommie Robertson's studio (Sailing Shoes) at Scapa House Hotel. We didn't get very far as a band until Jamie Sutherland from Wick joined on vocals and harmonica. We decided to call ourselves the "Tomb Stone Blues Band" (or TSB band!!), but rapidly changed this to "Against the Grain."

John was always the star of the show and when he flew, he flew with the highest I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. His slide playing could leave punters in tears. We played in such notable venues as Domino's in Wick, the American Base at Forss and many local pubs etc. I can't recall how long this band lasted but have some recordings of John (One recorded live in the Thurso Club dated 30/01/1987 on cassette!!) John and I also collaborated with a fabulous singer called Ralph ??? (sorry I don't recall his second name) with some original pop type material. (we never gigged).

This came and went and I seem to remember eventually ending up with John in the afore mentioned Ian Sinclairs band (then called Barracuda) - Mike Chandler on bass anyone? Steve ? (American guitarist). Again, John was always the unassuming lead guitarist that just shone when he soloed.

My last involvement with John was as a fill in guitarist with a rock band ("Roadworks") playing at an early Edge of the World Festival. The rehearsal was fabulous (and recorded) - especially the two blues improvisations, but John just didn't turn up on the day of the gig for some reason!! (we had another guitarist).

Anyway, good to hear he's still active (I know he's very busy with his teaching).

Steve Lewis was the american guitarist. And was it Ralph Rawson or Ralph Pringle who was the mystery singer???

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Nov-07, 04:00
I know of 3 Ralphs who used to live in Thurso. I surely must know the one in question, but I can't fathom it. Is it the Ralph who used to live above the Comm - the old Sheiling when it was a flat? If so, he's now married to my close pal's sister and lives in Edinburgh. My other pal Ralph is a sexual panther who does sound engineering at the venues Henry's and The Ark in Edinburgh, too.

Steve Lewis, by the way, gave me my first shot at playing a left-handed guitar. Taught me how to play Framed by Cheech & Chong, the first song I ever played in a band.

Deemac
30-Nov-07, 09:28
Steve Lewis was the american guitarist. And was it Ralph Rawson or Ralph Pringle who was the mystery singer???

Yes, Steve Lewis - A very fine chap in the American navy.

I really can't remember Ralph's second name and neither of these are ringing any bells. He was quite tall, curly hair, seemed to get into trouble when he drinked too much (which was often - and one of the reasons why the band never took off!!) Great singer, very soulful voice.

Jeemag_USA
30-Nov-07, 13:25

He was quite tall, curly hair, seemed to get into trouble when he drinked too much (which was often - and one of the reasons why the band never took off!!)

HA HA HA thats Ralph Rawson to a T, I gaurantee it. Ask Clash67 he'll tell ya [lol]

zebedy
30-Nov-07, 23:51
said it once i will say it again

'mon the newton

Aaldtimer
01-Dec-07, 03:27

I really can't remember Ralph's second name and neither of these are ringing any bells. He was quite tall, curly hair, seemed to get into trouble when he drinked too much (which was often - and one of the reasons why the band never took off!!) Great singer, very soulful voice.

"Drinked"? That's a new one on me!!!

Jeemag_USA
01-Dec-07, 15:49

I think it was meant to be "drinketh" :Razz

Deemac
01-Dec-07, 20:32

Is "Sip" any better for you Aaldtimer?
(OK, so it should have been "drunk" - I made a mistake, woop-de-doo . . . . .)

What is it on this forum with all the spelling Nazi, perfect diction and English nit-picking?

Don't know just where this leaves the texting brigade!! (LOL);)

Aaldtimer
01-Dec-07, 22:18
No racism please Deemac! English nits are no worse than our own!:eek:
Would "drank" not be more correct?;)

Jeid
01-Dec-07, 22:55
Is "Sip" any better for you Aaldtimer?
(OK, so it should have been "drunk" - I made a mistake, woop-de-doo . . . . .)

What is it on this forum with all the spelling Nazi, perfect diction and English nit-picking?

Don't know just where this leaves the texting brigade!! (LOL);)

This is from a man who commented on someone's poor spelling the other week. Bit of a cheek I think...

nikki
04-Dec-07, 22:08
Just a quick question, is this the same Ian Sinclair who teaches at the Thurso College?

Jeid
04-Dec-07, 22:31
I'm pretty sure he does yeah, or at least, he used to