PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts on butchers...

NickInTheNorth
24-Nov-07, 16:28
where would you recommend for really good quality beef? If possible locally produced, properly matured (hung on the bone for several weeks).

jinglejangle
24-Nov-07, 16:29
I always use Harrolds in Thurso and they are excellent. We buy all our meat from the butchers as they are very welcoming when you go into the shop.

Anne x
24-Nov-07, 16:42
when I lived in Thurso I always used Mackays the butcher very good and nice staff always a friendly chat and they deliver If weather is bad

Mmm Harrolds Steak Pies as well

peedie man
24-Nov-07, 16:51
we always use Harrolds in Wick or Thurso

Solus
24-Nov-07, 16:54
Every time I am home its Harolds, fillet steaks oh boy !!!

Thumper
24-Nov-07, 16:55
I like Bews for meat,they are very good x

changilass
24-Nov-07, 16:56
Bews in Thurso, always buy fillet for the beef wellington on boxing day, its fantastic and you cannot beat their black pudding its yummy

Thumper
24-Nov-07, 17:01
Their stuffings are great too! I love it cold the next day on a sandwich...better than the christmas dinner IMO x

Royster1911
24-Nov-07, 17:04
Always Bews Butchers. Pay a bit more in some cases but suprime meat all the time. Try their exotic meats (ostrich steaks are great).

Cattach
24-Nov-07, 17:13
where would you recommend for really good quality beef? If possible locally produced, properly matured (hung on the bone for several weeks).

I do not know antwhere in the county better than Bews in Thurso. And they have a great range of other food stuffs, some speciality foods, in a very clean and tidy shop. Well worth a visit just to see the range of foods they sell.

lazytown
24-Nov-07, 17:58
I personally like Castletown Butcher Shop. Excellent beef from there

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Nov-07, 18:07
Try D.C. Gordon Butchers on Sir George Street. Oh, wait, hang on a minute...

Bobinovich
24-Nov-07, 18:09
TBH Nick I believe all the local butchers (on the Thurso side anyway) have superb reputations - and from what I see here some very loyal customers which is nice to see :D.

Our own personal preference is Mackays - love the chicken sausages and the steak & mince pies are lovely and rich.

kriklah
24-Nov-07, 18:16
Quoys of Canisbay is brill for beef, aberdeen angus steaks are reaaly yummy, and they can deliver larger orders

Razz
24-Nov-07, 20:55
Bews are really good. Greystones pork is excellent

kwbrown111
24-Nov-07, 23:49
Bews but also Harrolds for their mince round

babybunt
26-Nov-07, 12:45
Always Bews the Butcher!

Foxy
26-Nov-07, 13:10
It has to be Harrolds in Wick for me, there beef, lamb and pork is supplied by local farmers through Mey select and is properly matured. :)

mama2
26-Nov-07, 20:25
lazytown, I'm with you Castletown butchers are great. brilliant selection and local beef.

gem1982
26-Nov-07, 21:36
I use Harolds in Thurso or george Harpers in Wick and cant fault either of them. Bews in Thurso isnt bad either I have had stuff from them too for a fact I dont think you can really fault any butcher up here. Its all locally produced food and reasonably priced

ks
26-Nov-07, 21:52
I personally like Castletown Butcher Shop. Excellent beef from there

Have to agree with you better than any of the Thurso butchers.

tahi
27-Nov-07, 23:30
I use the Latheron butcher, Cormacks. His steaks are lovely, and his own sausages are to die for. His makes his own black puddings which are ace and he is not at all expensive. Worth a look if you are passing.

gem1982
27-Nov-07, 23:54
I didnt even know there was a butchers in Latheron! Might give them a try one day when i am passing.

Thanks

Amowat
29-Nov-07, 22:06
THE place to go is Bews Butchers in Thurso.

hotrod4
02-Dec-07, 19:42
I normally use George harpers in macarthur street. Though I used to drive to thurso to get my meat from mackays.Had a few bad experiences with harolds so that put me off for a while,the meat was off and smelt rank,might try them again though.

cyberman
02-Dec-07, 22:07
I use Mackays at the bottom of the town, there steak pies are great, and there sausages. great all roung realy.

Bews butchers cooked meats are the best and beef olives

Ash
03-Dec-07, 14:58
i love the butchers in princess street(unsure of name)

love their chicken sausages, beef stir fry and their pork ones

also they do fab pork and apple burgers mmmm

alanatkie
03-Dec-07, 15:08
Would have to be Castletown Butchers for me - love their haggis truffles, chicken sausages & burgers.