PDA

View Full Version : Stagecoach

badger
07-Sep-05, 16:30
Did anyone else see the High Flyer travelling from Helmsdale and finishing at Castle of Mey yesterday? No-one I've spoken to knew anything about it which seems such a shame. I saw the stagecoach and horses in the Northern Sands Hotel car park but only heard what was going on from a tourist at Mary Ann's. Apparently it took a few days with the travellers and coachman in period costume and was a wonderful sight. How sad that it seems to have passed almost unnoticed and residents have to find out from a tourist. I'm sure many people would have come out to see it if they'd known and it might have provided a nice bit of history for any schools along the route. Even the people at Northern Sands knew nothing. Does anyone know who organised it and can we persuade them to give it a bit of advance publicity next time?

hereboy
07-Sep-05, 17:45
Was the coachman headless? Were the horses black? Were the passengers rather pale looking, perhaps other wordly?

I have heard of such things before - strangely enough a Tavern car park seems like an appropriate location for viewing said apparition...

Was it closing time? The "stranger in town" who told you about it - hmm - were you drinking from the end tap which doesn't seem to be there today......- was it foggy perchance?

Peter Cushing wasn't sitting in the corner of the Northern Sands bar by any chance was he?

It all sound a bit "Dunnet House of Horror" to me...

highlander
07-Sep-05, 19:23
I was told about the coach going through thurso, it had 6 horses, and the most beautiful site to see, it is soposed to have come from skebo, and was going to john o groats, and yes it is a real pity we did not know anything about it, cos im sure our faithfull bill would have been there to take some photos. :D

Fran
08-Sep-05, 01:39
what a pity the local paper didnt get the story and surely it deserved a lot of publicity. i would love to have seen it. :(

jay
08-Sep-05, 08:22
it was in the paper - can't remember which one, did come from Skebbo and was a charitiy event - think they were coming up the coast road and back down the strath - can't remember much more about it but did see the article at one time