PDA

View Full Version : riverside path

sweep
22-Nov-07, 14:39
this latest spell of wet weather has surely completely destroyed the path up to kinderspiel bridge. it was starting to erode away a few weeks ago, but today there was up to four feet of water in parts! newly laid over the past several months , it now seems like a terrible waste of money. major drainage is required to this path . its so close to the river and also the water runs from the top of langhills to the river, flowing over the path.

xx_chickie
22-Nov-07, 14:51
Excuse my ignorance, but is this in Wick or Thurso? :confused

sweep
22-Nov-07, 15:48
its the riverside path at wick river

xx_chickie
22-Nov-07, 15:52
Oh right, that sounds awful...I hope something's done about it soon!

Jeid
22-Nov-07, 16:02
Aye well, Thurso River path is like a mud path. I walked home from work last night, when I got in and looked at my trousers they were covered in mud. Scottish Water were doing work up the Mount Vernon side of the river and the path has been a mess ever since. They never cleared it up and I don't suspect the council will bother either. It's pretty bloody annoying walking that way now as I always end up with dirty trousers. Lots of dog walkers have to wear wellies as well... not very good I be thinking.

henry20
22-Nov-07, 16:04
Lots of dog walkers have to wear wellies as well... not very good I be thinking.

OH wasn't out walking the dog last night, he just likes to look stupid ;)

johno
22-Nov-07, 16:44
this latest spell of wet weather has surely completely destroyed the path up to kinderspiel bridge.

is that the small bridge after the coghill bridge.
now ive lived here a long time & i never kn ew that is what it,s called. :cool:
Ps, any idea why it,s got that name.

xx_chickie
22-Nov-07, 16:56
now ive lived here a long time & i never kn ew that is what it,s called. :cool:

I never know what any of these places are called either! Confuses me when people talk about them :eek: haha.

Errogie
22-Nov-07, 19:01
I guess Kinderspiel means childs play from the German.

Maybe that was the name of the design/construction whatever, but at least you have a bridge, it's now over a year since we lost the Thurso river's cemetery bridge and the unco spirits of the residents in that place missed out on halloween because they were unable to cross the water to visit hostelries and partake of their usual entertainments on the west side of the town. The downstream bridges are too well lit and public for their like.

Admittedly 4 feet of water is a hiderance to walking but perhaps folk should be better shod instead of girning about the condition of country paths and on the plus side I'm sure that the banks will have been well cleansed of evidence of canine companions to everyone's relief.

elamanya
22-Nov-07, 23:30
walked up the path yesterday as far as the steps there was only one bit damaged where the water was running off the feilds, surprisingly it wasnt to bad just a bit rutted for about 50 metres

sweep
23-Nov-07, 11:47
well thats's a surprise as when i ran up the path at 11.30am, i could have swam it in parts. were you on the same path?
sorry the thurso path is also in poor condition but the point of my post was that the wick path was brand new.

elamanya
23-Nov-07, 14:04
yup same path only bad bit was just before the birdwatching stand , where the water was running down of the fields over the path , the rest of it was brand new , luckily .

Moira
24-Nov-07, 00:37
this latest spell of wet weather has surely completely destroyed the path up to kinderspiel bridge. it was starting to erode away a few weeks ago, but today there was up to four feet of water in parts! newly laid over the past several months , it now seems like a terrible waste of money. major drainage is required to this path . its so close to the river and also the water runs from the top of langhills to the river, flowing over the path.

Is this what we locals would call the Iron Bridge then ?? The small bridge over the river to the island, on the Miller Avenue side of Wick River. If so - how did you all get there? This path has been closed off to the public since June of this year. There are warning signs up on the path advising of this. Have all the works been finished now or did you all just ignore them......??

johno
24-Nov-07, 10:09
Is this what we locals would call the Iron Bridge then ?? The small bridge over the river to the island, on the Miller Avenue side of Wick River. If so - how did you all get there? This path has been closed off to the public since June of this year. There are warning signs up on the path advising of this. Have all the works been finished now or did you all just ignore them......??
is,nt the the Iron bridge up near the fairy,s hill past the Bulls hole.:~(

sweep
24-Nov-07, 23:58
moira, 'we locals' and indeed anyone else would call the lower bridge the coghill bridge.
and no, i didn't ignore any warning signs on the path up the river, they have all been taken away.
just thought, the path was probably flooded when the tide was in!

Moira
26-Nov-07, 23:10

Johno - I've heard about Fairies Hill but not Bulls hole.

moira, 'we locals' and indeed anyone else would call the lower bridge the coghill bridge.
and no, i didn't ignore any warning signs on the path up the river, they have all been taken away.
just thought, the path was probably flooded when the tide was in!

Sweep - I'm glad the "works" have finished now. I'll be able to enjoy my favourite walk up Wick River now without crossing to the Caravan Site side.

The tide can be a problem at times - I agree.

karia
26-Nov-07, 23:19
Hi moira,

Winter walks are very special!

Enjoy yours and kick up the leaves as you go!;)

Kariax

scorrie
26-Nov-07, 23:34

I am sure that the one you are talking about is the Kinderspiel bridge. The one we knew as the Iron Bridge when we went fishing as youngsters is further up river and is the one the train crosses.

johno
26-Nov-07, 23:46
Johno - I've heard about Fairies Hill but not Bulls hole.

Sweep - I'm glad the "works" have finished now. I'll be able to enjoy my favourite walk up Wick River now without crossing to the Caravan Site side.

The tide can be a problem at times - I agree.
Hi Moira the Fairy,s hill is just over from the iron bridge & the bull.s hole is not quite that far up, it,s just a hole in the path which is full of water and it,s got a wooden flat bridge over it. When we were kid,s it,s said that a bull fell into it. thus the name Bull.s Hole. Glad i mentioned this as ive been getting a lot of infraction,s lately and dont want this to be misinterpreted ,if you walk up a bit from the iron bridge you will come to Altnimarnich where the cross is. Thats where the Campbell's massacred the Sinclair,s by getting them drunk.

Moira
27-Nov-07, 01:24
Hi moira,

Winter walks are very special!

Enjoy yours and kick up the leaves as you go!;)

Kariax

Winter walks are indeed special Karia. No leaves on our river walk but no flying/buzzing insects to bother us either - we just shatter the frosted pools as we go.....

I am sure that the one you are talking about is the Kinderspiel bridge. The one we knew as the Iron Bridge when we went fishing as youngsters is further up river and is the one the train crosses.

I've been misinformed then Scorrie. There is no way any train passed over the bridge I've always called the Iron Bridge. It just goes to show you.....

Hi Moira the Fairy,s hill is just over from the iron bridge & the bull.s hole is not quite that far up, it,s just a hole in the path which is full of water and it,s got a wooden flat bridge over it. When we were kid,s it,s said that a bull fell into it. thus the name Bull.s Hole. Glad i mentioned this as ive been getting a lot of infraction,s lately and dont want this to be misinterpreted ,if you walk up a bit from the iron bridge you will come to Altnimarnich where the cross is. Thats where the Campbell's massacred the Sinclair,s by getting them drunk.

Thanks Johno. I googled the Altimarlach link and came up with this :-
http://sinclair.quarterman.org/history/mid/battleofaltimarlach.html

johno
27-Nov-07, 18:58
[quote=Moira;302076]Winter walks are indeed special Karia. No leaves on our river walk but no flying/buzzing insects to bother us either - we just shatter the frosted pools as we go.....

I've been misinformed then Scorrie. There is no way any train passed over the bridge I've always called the Iron Bridge. It just goes to show you.....

Thanks Johno. I googled the Altimarlach link and came up with this :-
http://sinclair.quarterman.org/history/mid/battleofaltimarlach.html[/quot

The book i read [cant remember it,s title] says that the Campbell.s loaded a raft with whiskey and set it afloat upriver of the Sinclair.s . when it floated down to the Sinclairs location they must have thought it was a gift from /[heaven] /Campbells / So they naturally celebrated. when the Sinclairs were so stupified the Campbell.s attacked & slaughtered them. think i got that from the library. interesting theory though??

George Brims
28-Nov-07, 00:21
Obligatory joke:
After the battle the Campbells proceeded south, taking many spoils with them. One of the officers noticed the men on foot were being held up by a man struggling with a large box.

He rode over on his horse and told the man to put the box down and open it. "What have you got in there man?" "Three loaves of bread and twelve bottles of whisky" the man replied. A voice drifted up from the crowd. "I wonder who's going to eat all that bread?"