PDA

View Full Version : Local Business........

Solus
22-Nov-07, 12:33
We decided to get removal guys from Caithness to move our furniture next week rather than use a local business from Aberdeen, all was well until this morning when we recieved a call to say that they were having second thoughts about moving us !!!

why ? because i asked them to be here around 9am at the latest as we need to be moved out of our property around the mid day time. They wanted to turn up about 10ish ! which i felt was cutting it fine.

So do these companys want the business, all it meant was to leave Caithness a few hours earlier or indeed leave the night before. So here we are running about with a week to go trying to arrange another removal firm :~(

xx_chickie
22-Nov-07, 12:45
Oh dear, sorry to hear it, Solus.
For their custom, for the sake of an hour or two, I think they should try to meet your needs. But I guess it's just up to themselves if they think it's a good idea for their business.

Hope you get things sorted!

henry20
22-Nov-07, 13:00
I would imagine that the firm was looking at it from a practical point of view (and for the record, I have no connection to any local removal firm(s) ) - I assume as you mention Aberdeen, that this is the area you are moving from - in order to keep their price competitive, the won't have planned an overnight stay - these can be expensive, especially if it involves paying staff for their hours away (avoidable if it is a family run/worked business).

I am assuming that no time for arrival was arranged at the time (I may be wrong) and this has only now thrown a spanner in the works.

I would also say the size of house would be important - if you are moving from a two bedroom bungalow, I would think it relatively easy to shift all the boxes within a 2ish hour time slot. A mansion however, they'd need to arrive a lot earlier than 9am! ;)

NickInTheNorth
22-Nov-07, 13:00
It's always possible that they have another job the previous day that makes it difficult to get there before 10.00am. Also I remember last time I used a removal company it was amazing how quickly they shifted the entire contents of a three bed house. Less than 2 hours! And believe me we had a lot of stuff as it included all mine and my wife's business items too.

Solus
22-Nov-07, 14:56
I dont doubt they may have a job on the day before, but when they say 10ish i got a bit concerned. To me thats cutting it to fine, all i asked was for them to be here around 9am so that we can be clear in plenty of time. I hardly think an hour earlier would have been a problem, but they have not instilled me with much confidence from the start and now a week before we are due to move they say nope.

henry20
22-Nov-07, 15:01
If they are setting off from here in the morning (again, my assumption rather than a known fact) they would have to leave by 6 (at latest) to make it there for 10 - to get there for 9, they would have to leave by 5 at the latest.

Maybe it is for tiredness/safety reasons they wish to arrive by 10am which is in everyone's interest IMO.

Too many drivers requested to meet early deadlines fall asleep at the wheel and cause danger to themselves/others/cargo.

Did you ask them the reason that 10am was preferable?

Solus
22-Nov-07, 15:44
No i never asked, they said ten ish i said i would prefer 9am, to which they said we will get back to you, which they did only to say no thanks. Its just got me a bit miffed that for the sake of an hour or so they dont want the job.

ashaw1
22-Nov-07, 16:59
I totally sympathise with you i know how stressful it can be. We moved up to Wick at the end of last year from Edinburgh and the whole thing was a total nightmare. We too had problems with the reliability of the company and couldn't believe some of the prices we were quoted if they actually bothered to turn up at all. The lorry still had half our belongings still in it when the owner of the company decided he wanted more money because he didn't realise we had so much stuff ( even though it was him who quoted the job) i had visions of him keeping our belongings. It is certainly true....moving house is definately one of the most stressfull situations you will ever experience! Good luck!

henry20
22-Nov-07, 17:07
ashaw1, was the companyyou used local to here? If so and its the same one as solus, then yes they would appear to use strange business tactics! If it wasn't a local business, it may be worth clarifying.

lady penelope
22-Nov-07, 17:14
We had the opposite problem. The firm arrived earlier than planned and we were unorganised!
The removals were great though, and so helpful. They even kept the stuff in their lorry overnight because we didn't get keys until the next morning.
I would certainly use them again.
Caithness business does run differently than a city business, they are far more laid back and easy going.;)

Solus
22-Nov-07, 18:16
Local well known removal firm came to my rescue. Wished i had used them from the start and trusted my instincts !! could not have been more helpful about pick up times and even storing our stuff over night in the wagon until the Saturday, which means a good nights kip before we have to start unpacking.

Thats what i like about Caithness, people are more than helpful and polite :D

I cant wait to get home now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tugmistress
22-Nov-07, 18:20
Hope the move goes well for you, it's stressful at the best of times, let alone in the approach to cold/wet/windy weather and xmas :roll:

Solus
22-Nov-07, 18:27
cold/wet/windy, well caithness would not be caithness without it ! as for christmas, send it on i cant wait, first time in 20 years i am not working either christmas or new year. Usually working right up to christmas eve then off for a day or two and back to the grind and working right through new year :(

Anne x
23-Nov-07, 01:24
I used a local Caithness company and they were excellent came in packed up stored the furniture for 36 hrs met us a destination and then a delay getting the new house keys we all sat on the new house doorstep !!! keys arrived and they placed all the items in relevant rooms very good service and nice guys

Dman
23-Nov-07, 12:25
We used a well known caithness company, there lorrys are just out of town, they were excellent,very polite, very efficient and emptied our 2 bedroomed house in less than 2 hours, with a little help from myself,(my choice) There prices were very reasonable at the time, I would definatly use them again.

grandma
23-Nov-07, 13:21
Hope your move goes well and you get settled in time to relax and enjoy Christmas.

the nomad
23-Nov-07, 13:49
We decided to get removal guys from Caithness to move our furniture next week rather than use a local business from Aberdeen, all was well until this morning when we recieved a call to say that they were having second thoughts about moving us !!!

why ? because i asked them to be here around 9am at the latest as we need to be moved out of our property around the mid day time. They wanted to turn up about 10ish ! which i felt was cutting it fine.

So do these companys want the business, all it meant was to leave Caithness a few hours earlier or indeed leave the night before. So here we are running about with a week to go trying to arrange another removal firm :~(
When we moved from old Thurso town to pastures new we used Colin Mackenzie, he was excellent both at emptying our old house and placing furniture in new abode. Nothing but praise for him and his hard working helpers and very, very reasonably priced.

ashaw1
23-Nov-07, 13:49
ashaw1, was the companyyou used local to here? If so and its the same one as solus, then yes they would appear to use strange business tactics! If it wasn't a local business, it may be worth clarifying.
Luckily it wasn't a local company, they are based in Edinburgh.

poppett
23-Nov-07, 14:18
My father recently downsized from a three bedroom house to sheltered housing and we used Plowman`s carpets for the move. The men were very helpful, and even took a detour to swap a 3 piece suite for a bed settee on the way. Price very reasonable and I would recommend them to anyone.

A_Usher
23-Nov-07, 14:30
The only firm i would use ever now, would be MacKenzies. They provided the best service we have ever experienced with a removal firm, and i have recommended them to several people moving to and from Caithness. When we eventually move from Caithness they will be our first choice, and in fact i would use them no matter where i lived in the UK, as the service is that good.