Phoebus_Apollo
21-Nov-07, 23:04
I`ll second that - their smary commentry at the 2-2 point made me sick...:lol:

alanatkie
21-Nov-07, 23:05
Yeh well done Croatia [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 23:06
2008 Euro Championships cancelled by the BBC and ITV. A bit like the 1984 Championships you might say.

GGS
21-Nov-07, 23:09
Get In There

elamanya
21-Nov-07, 23:09
ab brill the abuse we took on the rig on sat after the italy game then the volume was turned up when russia got beat was unbeleavable , some of the guys had clenched fists in there faces ... so get it rite up them

Metalattakk
21-Nov-07, 23:11
2008 Euro Championships cancelled by the BBC and ITV. A bit like the 1984 Championships you might say.

Aye, I mind that well. Late night highlights is all we got, with the best game of all time (France v Portugal, semi-final) reduced to a 20 minute slot at 11.30pm on BBC2. Disgraceful.

At least this time, Channel 5 will take up the reins if the bigger broadcasters bail out.

scorrie
21-Nov-07, 23:16
Give England their due though, they haven't blamed the ref ;)

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 23:18
It would have been nice to see them go through, now that we were out.

I think we as a nation should now be above needing to see them fail to validate ourselves.

Metalattakk
21-Nov-07, 23:20

Not this time, as they already have a ready-made scapegoat - Steve McLaren.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 23:20
(Clears throat)

Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Big Cook! Little Cook! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!

botheed
21-Nov-07, 23:21
Give England their due though, they haven't blamed the ref ;)no just the pitch

starry
21-Nov-07, 23:22
I wouldn't have cared about them getting through, what would have annoyed the hell out me would have been every tv programme, newspaper and radio station talking about nothing else but it.

jim shoe
21-Nov-07, 23:22

I think we as a nation should now be above needing to see them fail to validate ourselves.
nice to see them through ? dont talk urine

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 23:25
Enjoy!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wqupNjswVnQ

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 23:27
nice to see them through ? dont talk urine

You can't really pose a serious threat to my opinion, I genuinely wanted to see them through.

Sad to see the old losing Scotland supporter bitterness manifest here.

I bet it would mean more to you to see England out than see Scotland through.

Sad.

jim shoe
21-Nov-07, 23:31
You can't really pose a serious threat to my opinion, I genuinely wanted to see them through.

Sad to see the old losing Scotland supporter bitterness manifest here.

I bet it would mean more to you to see England out than see Scotland through.

Sad.
we should all be ABSOLUTLEY DELIGHTED the english got beat

98elite
21-Nov-07, 23:33
Who thinks Scotland v England home and away next summer would be something to look forward to?

Or a home nations league pre/post Euro 2008

Still gutted about the weekends result.

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 23:35

Absolute rubbish.

I have a lot more in common with England than Croatia.

Saddo.

scorrie
21-Nov-07, 23:35
no just the pitch

To be honest, the pitch was used for an American Football match on 28th October (NY Giants v Miami) and the surface was considered to be of questionable quality on that occasion. You could still see the yardage markers and hash marks etc on the field tonight, so I wonder how much work was put into resurfacing the field?

Maybe England would have had more success if adopting some NFL tactics.

"McLaren calls time out and the England team huddle on the sidelines. Beckham takes to the field at Quarterback in the shotgun formation. The ball is snapped, Beckham steps up into the pocket, pump fake, it's a Quarterback draw, Beckham sweeps to the outside on a naked bootleg and goes into the endzone untouched!! The extra point is GOOOOOD!! Time expires, the gun goes and England are in the Finals. McLaren is doing the backstroke in the Gatorade bucket, Beckham has just pulled three cheerleaders and we will be right back after this word from your local station. Hey, for all you do, this Bud's for you!!"

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 23:39
Ah, the excuses. Love 'em. The rain was too wet, the grass was too green, the ball was too round...

Metalattakk
21-Nov-07, 23:41
...the players were too crap.

cullbucket
21-Nov-07, 23:41
Enjoy!

Is it just me, I always thought that accent sound like the commentator comes from Bettyhill.... "Your boys took a hell of a beating"

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 23:48
That's the norse link for you, cullbucket. I know a lot of Norwegian and Swedish people and they often go "hie" (that sort of quick hush sound Caithness people usually make when agreeing with your conversation) when spraffing to them about, well, putting one over England I guess.

Yoda the flump
21-Nov-07, 23:56
Does this mean that Beckham does not get 100 caps?

Jeemag_USA
21-Nov-07, 23:57

They didn't have to, so whats your point.

When Alan Hutton was steamrollered the linesman waved for a Italy throw when the ball trickled out, his indication was not a free kick, the ref over ruled from what he thought he saw and gave a free kick.

England did not have that problem so your point is moot or mute or whatever it is [lol]

Jeemag_USA
22-Nov-07, 00:01
Enjoy!

AAAAR HA HA HA HA that was funny :P

cullbucket
22-Nov-07, 00:07

Thats fine if you want to take the moral high ground and display your emotional maturity to all, it takes all sorts, but don't try and tell the rest of us we are wrong for feeling happy that the English got put out. The years of smugness and superiority we have been inflicted with in an anglocentric media mean that I for one feel happy that they got a gubbing.

Boozeburglar
22-Nov-07, 00:15
Well you don't really get it do you?

We are on a par with them, and we should start acting like it.

Do you think all the England fans are consoling themselves with the fact we did not qualify?

Not likely.

Your assumptions about my motivation for taking a broader view are way off the mark.

;)

cullbucket
22-Nov-07, 00:17
Hey we've got the same number of posts!
I think its you thats not getting it munchacho.....;o)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 00:18

Do you think all the England fans are consoling themselves with the fact we did not qualify?

Not likely.

Your assumptions about my motivation for taking a broader view are way off the mark.

;)

Scotland are not on a par with England, we're actually above them. We finished our group with more points than they did. Our players are young, highly talented, have got important international experience, and a rejuvinated country behind them. England? Well...

Metalattakk
22-Nov-07, 00:20
It'll be interesting to see the new FIFA rankings when they're released on Friday.

[lol]

Boozeburglar
22-Nov-07, 00:23
Scotland are not on a par with England, we're actually above them. We finished our group with more points than they did. Our players are young, highly talented, have got important international experience, and a rejuvinated country behind them. England? Well...

Geez, Fifa rankings are not THAT indicative, is it not accurate enough to say we are on a par with them?

Were we really as far down as they had us, when you look at the teams that were above us, a couple of years ago?

Do you want the moon on a stick?

;)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 00:25
No thanks, a burst bubble the size of the St George Cross is doing me fine. Cheers for asking, though.

Boozeburglar
22-Nov-07, 00:26

...and we saw how 'highly talented' our players were against Italy.

We have a half dozen or so international class players, versus a dozen or more in the Italy side. We play well as a team, that is our strength.

Let us not get so carried away, we really have to take a realistic approach if we are to improve.

;)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 00:28
Is this you Booze Burglar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRxDewVlUc

Boozeburglar
22-Nov-07, 00:33
Looks like Timmy Mallet.

I am sure it is hilarious, will check it out when old trout is finished watching her movie.

;)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 00:34
We're just getting our own back tonight, BB. Nae offence intended, pal.

wonbat
22-Nov-07, 00:37

Why are you moving to Croatia?

Jeemag_USA
22-Nov-07, 01:42

Not likely.

;)

Acting like it, the day we start acting like England, their media and their fans who were booing their own team then I will give up supporting the team altogether. When Scotland went 1-0 down on Saturday the Tartan Army got louder and louder and louder and neither one supporter nor one player gave up hope. Thats what sets the people apart. I have more in common with Croatia than England, really.

Rheghead
22-Nov-07, 02:08
I didn't see any comments from English orgers that they were glad to see Scotland lose though, I would never dream of booing another nation's team or even cheering solicitously in anticipation of them losing, that is what really sets us apart, a sense of decency, courtesy and fair play.

Boozeburglar
22-Nov-07, 02:12
Acting like it, the day we start acting like England, their media and their fans who were booing their own team then I will give up supporting the team altogether. When Scotland went 1-0 down on Saturday the Tartan Army got louder and louder and louder and neither one supporter nor one player gave up hope. Thats what sets the people apart. I have more in common with Croatia than England, really.

Dude, I recall the crowd being pretty subdued after Italy scored.

I am married to an English woman, very happily spent more than half my adult life there. I haven't even been to Croatia, just know a few.

;)

Jeemag_USA
22-Nov-07, 03:04
I didn't see any comments from English orgers that they were glad to see Scotland lose though, I would never dream of booing another nation's team or even cheering solicitously in anticipation of them losing, that is what really sets us apart, a sense of decency, courtesy and fair play.

No thats what you feel sets you personally apart. I have had it up to my eyeballs with england jeering at Scotland when they went out, maybe just because you haven't witnessed it doesn't mean it doesn't go on. I laugh at all the England fans saying its all McLarens fault when they quickly forget how strong the team is thats out on the field on paper and how underperforming they are. They couldn't even bet Macedonia at home, but I have had several nasty comments to me on other sites about how we couldn't beat Georgia away from home. They seem to fail to recognise that Russia could only put one goal past Andorra which is a measure of the weak group they are in. Sets us apart, what a joke [lol]

Rheghead
22-Nov-07, 06:12
No thats what you feel sets you personally apart. I have had it up to my eyeballs with england jeering at Scotland when they went out, maybe just because you haven't witnessed it doesn't mean it doesn't go on.

No, that is what sets us nationally apart, not just personally. Do you think that a group of mindless idiots who can be heard over a microphone can actually represent how the nation feels?:confused

scotsboy
22-Nov-07, 06:19
Some very sad post on here. I am actually dissappointed England never made it, and Northern Ireland as well.

As for Jeemags comment on him having more in common with Croatia than England, I quite believe it - along with the majority of others who have indicated their pleasure at England's dismissal from Euro 2008, they seem to share their support for a certain team that play in green/grey.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 06:34
I ken; it's hunbelievable.

scorrie
22-Nov-07, 12:20
They didn't have to, so whats your point.

When Alan Hutton was steamrollered the linesman waved for a Italy throw when the ball trickled out, his indication was not a free kick, the ref over ruled from what he thought he saw and gave a free kick.

England did not have that problem so your point is moot or mute or whatever it is [lol]

My point is that there was six pages of sour grapes in the newspaper about the Scotland exit from the tournament. We are always portraying ourselves as the best fans in the world yet we are quick enough to blame the referee, even when our goal should have been chalked off. As it turned out the second Italy goal made no difference to our fate. Scotland bottled it against Georgia, that is the simple fact and it is where the analysis should start.

As Scotsboy says, there are some pretty sad posts on this thread. Beer Goggles logic and wanton schadenfreude usually deteriorate into the tennis matches that end up with football off the org menu.

cd1977
22-Nov-07, 12:33
England out! Fantastic antidote to Saturday! :cool:

One of the best matches I have ever seen. From the opening 15 minutes of joy, to the despair of the comeback, to the utter delight when the winner went in. Bilic's reaction says it all. To quote the sycophantic English gutter press "not one of the Croatia players would make the England team". In one sentence that sums them up.

Goodbye and good riddance to you England. You will not be missed.

Rheghead
22-Nov-07, 12:44
Goodbye and good riddance to you England. You will not be missed.

So what happened to the "We want England to get as far as the quarter finals then go out on penalties" support?:roll:

changilass
22-Nov-07, 13:20
Having read the 3 seperate threads regarding the England match, I can understand why football topics were banned from the org, the nastiness being posted does not show the people of Caithness in a very good light.:~(

unicorn
22-Nov-07, 13:51
I must admit it doesn't make very nice reading :confused I was angry to read all the anti scottish comments in a newspaper article about free prescription but this is just the same thing at the end of the day.

rangers1873
22-Nov-07, 14:37
the look on the faces of shearer,linekar and wright at half time and full time were worth the tv licence fee alone. watched the darts the other night and someone in the crowd put up a card saying scotland 1 -italy 2 ha ha ha. whos laughing now , at least we put up a fight, bring on the home internationals again we'll gub the english as they are just a second rate team.

scotsboy
22-Nov-07, 14:52
the look on the faces of shearer,linekar and wright at half time and full time were worth the tv licence fee alone. watched the darts the other night and someone in the crowd put up a card saying scotland 1 -italy 2 ha ha ha. whos laughing now , at least we put up a fight, bring on the home internationals again we'll gub the english as they are just a second rate team.

Not sure if Scotland are actually as good as 2nd rate.

cd1977
22-Nov-07, 15:00
If Carlsberg did Wednesday nights........:cool:

Jeid
22-Nov-07, 15:57
I was quite happy that England went out. Not because I despise them, but I think they need it. The English FA need a reality check. Steve McClaren was not the man for the job, in fact, he was a compromise. They should've put a big name manager in charge. Nothing against McClaren, he did well at Middlesbrough, but he never did anything spectacular. At least when England appointed Sven, he came with a good track record in Italy with some top teams.

Hopefully, their next appointment is a man who will instantly demand respect. That's what the English players need. I don't think they really looked up to McClaren that much. Why should they? Some of these guys have won the Champions League, won the Premiership countless times etc etc. McClaren has never won a major title. Egos are pretty big in that England setup.

England not qualifying will do them some good. It will get some of their hunger back. They'll be disappointed and hurting. The players will have a point to prove when they play next.

As for all the anti-English carry on and trying to say "they did it first" is pretty rubbish. It's hard to not do it in all honesty. However, all you're doing is lowering yourself to their level. Rise above it. We can be proud of what we achieved. We didn't expect Scotland to qualify, we almost did. We never set any expectations for ourselves. England did.

scotsboy
22-Nov-07, 16:16
It will be interesting to see who gets the job, one thing is for sure - there is not an Englishman good enough, and that is a sad indictment on the game in England. Too much posturing and homage of mammon in The Premiership (sic). Have to laugh at Sky News and their coverage today - they can talk all they want about problems at the FA, but the Premiership (funded by Sky et al) have to take a fair share of the blame.

xx_chickie
22-Nov-07, 16:28
If Carlsberg did Wednesday nights........:cool:

Haha!! Good one, cd1977!! That really made me laugh! :lol:

Jeemag_USA
22-Nov-07, 16:56
It will be interesting to see who gets the job, one thing is for sure - there is not an Englishman good enough, and that is a sad indictment on the game in England. Too much posturing and homage of mammon in The Premiership (sic). Have to laugh at Sky News and their coverage today - they can talk all they want about problems at the FA, but the Premiership (funded by Sky et al) have to take a fair share of the blame.

The bookies favourites are Jose Morihno and Martin O'Neill with Fabio Capello as an outsider, no englishman in the top running. I would be surprised if O'Neill takes considering the pressure it would put on his family, I don't think he would accept it, but I do think he would be the best man for the job, simply because of his man management skills, he gets people to do exactly what is required of him. I think Jose woudl also be a good candidate because of his flare and his ability, boy would the press have a field day with him though and he would have a field day with the press cause he does like to talk. I also think England needs to look at what Scotland has done and look towards young hungry players and build a strong family amongst them, they all need to have the same belief and be on the same page and thats where Scotland is at right now.

There are however great English managers out there, names that spring to mind for me when thinking of who could do the job are for one Alan Curbishley, probably the one english manager I have the most respect for, he is very very good at man management and an ideal candidate. Steve Bruce also I think would be good, but having just accepted a new position I doubt he will go for it. Harry Redknapp as well, all three of these have the right Calibre.

I think the worst thing England could do is put in an ex-player and put all the weight on the belief that someone who used to play great for an earlier english team could bring some of that back, because just pride alone is not going to make a great team, good management is required. So I would rule out Dennis Wise, Gareth Southgate, Alan Shearer, Paul Ince etc etc I think that would be fatal. I think if Alex McLeish was brought in as Scotland manager straight from being a player or having one or two minor management jobs he woudl have failed miserably. Steve Bruce is probably Englands best equivalent to big Eck right now. And also although not english, but another good man not too far removed from being a player is Mark Hughes who woudl also be a good pick for the position.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 17:21
Please, please, please let it be Souness that gets the job. Oh, and by the way, orgers, Tom Tom are recalling 1,550,000 of their sat nav units... apparently England can't be found anywhere in Europe.

Ho-ho-ho! Merry Xmas everyone!

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 17:24
Not sure if Scotland are actually as good as 2nd rate.

You're a manky traitor for saying such things, scotsboy. Scotland have come on leaps and bounds over the last year, beating former World Champions and current world champions. You should be ashamed for having such a username.

:)

scotsboy
22-Nov-07, 17:31
Scotland have come from being a 4th rate team, to one which is just about 2nd rate - I'm a realist. I am proud of the Scotland team, but I take no pride in the defeat of England by Croatia...........oh and the user name, I'll tell you the story behind that when you buy me a beer at Xmas;)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 17:41
I thought people your age drink half-pints? :)

canuck
22-Nov-07, 17:57
I thought people your age drink half-pints? :)

No Pepsi, it is we wifies who drink half pints.

henry20
22-Nov-07, 18:00

Canuck, I'm disappointed!! I was always led to believe you were a lady not a wifie ;)

lagertops
22-Nov-07, 18:05
Had £10 on Croatia @ 7-1= easy money.England had a very poor team out last night.

canuck
22-Nov-07, 18:08
Canuck, I'm disappointed!! I was always led to believe you were a lady not a wifie ;)

henry20, have we officially hijacked this thread?

Alas, it was Pepsi who gave me the title wifie. But members and friends of the Edi chapter have assured me that it is a term of endearment. :D

henry20
22-Nov-07, 18:12
<snip> it is a term of endearment.

Yes it certainly is - depending on the context! So, in this case, I'm sure it was!!

Me, its usually a 'grr, I hate old wifie's' so its not always the case ;) and old is a characteristic with me rather than an age.

Oops, off topic ......................... I don't give a stuff about the football, I was watching the soaps :roll:

Rheghead
22-Nov-07, 18:19
The bookies favourites are Jose Morihno and Martin O'Neill with Fabio Capello as an outsider, no englishman in the top running.

Amazing lack of imagination. There can only be one manager to take over now in England's time of need, the nation calls for Mike Bassett!

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 18:40

And so did all of those who used to drink in the St. Clair cocktail lounge bar :)

My round, is it, canuck?

unicorn
22-Nov-07, 18:42
Off topic sorry scorrie

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 18:51
Diesel and White Russians, please?

unicorn
22-Nov-07, 18:55
off topic don't know how to delete

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 19:14
K + J? Think am the one who's getting old.

unicorn
22-Nov-07, 19:16
Off topic...

canuck
22-Nov-07, 19:23
And so did all of those who used to drink in the St. Clair cocktail lounge bar :)

My round, is it, canuck?

Hot chocolate and muffins sound divine!

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 19:28
Kevin and John

Gee whiz, who are you exactly? I think Kevin only ever came into the St. Clair once, and John, well, we used to hook up there a fair bit. No idea where he is now, Cornwall, probably.

unicorn
22-Nov-07, 19:36
Please delete off topic

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 19:48
Yeah, please do. Tell him, does he remember The Crates. He'll know what I mean. Still can't remember you; the only bar people I really remember from the St. Clair was Paddy and our own Metalattakk.

unicorn
22-Nov-07, 19:49
Please delete off topic

scorrie
22-Nov-07, 20:00
The insults are flying and we have wandered 1000 miles off topic. Is there a moderator in the house?

unicorn
22-Nov-07, 20:52
i do appologise for offending you scorrie. Very sorry.