PDA

View Full Version : England fight back after a shaky start!

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 22:26
Magic, Crouch scores to make it 2-2!

C'mon England!

What a game this is turning out to be!

:)

Phoebus_Apollo
21-Nov-07, 22:34
Yes - very depressing - come on Croatia...

alanatkie
21-Nov-07, 22:37
aye but there is goal 3 woohoo:)

Phoebus_Apollo
21-Nov-07, 22:39
Ya Beauty...

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 22:40
There will be an equalizer soon enuff!

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 22:53
Apparently not, good game!

The Pepsi Challenge
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lady Diana...

GIRUY

botheed
what a shame[lol]

SNOWDOG
21-Nov-07, 22:56
YA DANCER!!! Well done Croatia! :lol::lol:

jim shoe
21-Nov-07, 23:17
Magic, Crouch scores to make it 2-2!

C'mon England!

What a game this is turning out to be!

YOUR NOT SINGING ANYMORE:lol:

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 23:23
YOUR NOT SINGING ANYMORE:lol:

Never was singing.

The fact I was doing some work on the net should indicate how important the game was to me.

Pity you can't evolve beyond all the auld enemy claptrap.

;)

Jeemag_USA
21-Nov-07, 23:27
Glad they got beat, we can enjoy watching the competition next year in peace without having to listen to "Owen is hurt" "Rooney is off form" "Our keeper had a bad day"

Well done Croatia!

I have a Tartan Army page on bebo with over 19000 members, and I have spent the last three days deleting messages left by England fans slating the scottish team and having a good laugh at us. So forgive my bitterness, all we get on TV and the net is England stories top of every colum in every newspaper and everyting, even when Scotland are playing Italy the headlines on BBC last week were all about Michael Owen.

Scotland will be above England in the world rankings now [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 23:28
Aye, it hurts, eh?

jambo
21-Nov-07, 23:48
who was there goalie frank carson what a comedian.

Boozeburglar
21-Nov-07, 23:59
The decision to play that goal keeper will be McLaren's downfall, for certain.

I think we can definitely hold our heads up, going down in the group we were in in a pretty heroic manner, whereas England really threw it away several times.

Definitely looking better for the future.

I have my reasons, but I always support England once we are out, and I am gutted they are not going further.

Still, I agree about teh one sided media, and the disgrace that our game was not on terrestrial tv yet BBC Scotland had the England game.

Roll on the World Cup!

;)

Jeemag_USA
22-Nov-07, 00:04
Still, I agree about teh one sided media, and the disgrace that our game was not on terrestrial tv yet BBC Scotland had the England game.

;)

Good reason not to support thm then, England football team is a media steam train, its all they think about, and the supporters behave towards their team they way the media dictate to them. Scots fans are loyal and we love our team wether we get beat by Italy or Costa Rica. England games should not even be shown on Scottish televison unless someone knows beforehand they will lose :Razz

Rheghead
22-Nov-07, 00:06
Yeah, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Top Joe's the night in 1996 that England needed to beat Holland 5-0 to get the Scots through to the knockout stage. "'mon the English" would have been the cry, I forget the name of the Dutchman now that made that last goal to make it a 5-1 win for England.:roll:

Boozeburglar
22-Nov-07, 00:08
Well it is hard to disagree about the media thing, but I support the players, not the country.

;)

Metalattakk
22-Nov-07, 00:09
Funny that Rheghead, that particular game finished 4-1 for England. And the name you are looking for is Patrick Kluivert.

Oh, and your tone displays exactly why others (and not just the Scots by the way) are delighted when Eng-er-lund lose.

jim shoe
22-Nov-07, 00:14
Funny that Rheghead, that particular game finished 4-1 for England. And the name you are looking for is Patrick Kluivert.

Oh, and your tone displays exactly why others (and not just the Scots by the way) are delighted when Eng-er-lund lose.
well said mate

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 00:15
Good reason not to support thm then, England football team is a media steam train, its all they think about, and the supporters behave towards their team they way the media dictate to them. Scots fans are loyal and we love our team wether we get beat by Italy or Costa Rica. England games should not even be shown on Scottish televison unless someone knows beforehand they will lose :Razz

See my post at the foot of the page, Jeemug.

Rheghead
22-Nov-07, 00:19
Thanks for correcting me, the fact that it is memorable for you means how hurting it must have been...

I'm not sure what tone you are on about except if its our sense of fair play and contrition when we lose then that is fine. The whole world must be bemused why one nation is so obsessed about another nation losing by the way. I can understand it if our nations are political enemies, I just think it isn't a noble trait from the Scots and I can never understand it. And I am glad the English don't subscribe to that attitude. Shame on you.:cool:

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 00:23
I'd love to see the BBC's "finals here we come" montage that is now languishing in a bin in Shepards Bush.

Metalattakk
22-Nov-07, 00:28
Thanks for correcting me, the fact that it is memorable for you means how hurting it must have been...

No, I was more hurt (and still am) by Scotland's result against Switzerland. If we'd scored one more goal (to win 2-0) we'd have qualified. That, at the time was far more interesting than England's win against Holland. Again, sorry for correcting you but both games were played at the same time.

I'm not sure what tone you are on about except if its our sense of fair play and contrition when we lose then that is fine. The whole world must be bemused why one nation is so obsessed about another nation losing by the way. I can understand it if our nations are political enemies, I just think it isn't a noble trait from the Scots and I can never understand it. And I am glad the English don't subscribe to that attitude. Shame on you.:cool:

Sporting rivalries (which is exactly what it is between Scotland fans and England fans) exist all over the world.

Do you, for example, expect a German to actively support Holland if his team were eliminated? Or perhaps a Portuguese to support Spain? Or a Brazilian to support Argentina?

The answer to all these suggestions is an unequivocal 'No'.

They all want their local rivals to lose.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Nov-07, 00:31
The Daily Mirror: Front Page headline: "I'll get my Croat"

Boozeburglar
22-Nov-07, 00:35
Textbook!

;)

Cattach
22-Nov-07, 10:55
what a shame[lol]

Your right - what a shame England got two goals. Well done Croatia.

Julia
22-Nov-07, 11:10
It was nice to the the Croatian manager going daft when they scored that 3rd goal, some managers hardly bat an eyelid!

I had such an emotional evening last night, happy, encouraged, delighted, shocked, miserable, depressed, elated, woo hoo!

Football must be the male equivalent of female hormones! [lol]

peter macdonald
22-Nov-07, 11:34
The English FA have just sacked the manager Steve Maclaren BBC say he will get a 2M pound payoff
DM

percy toboggan
22-Nov-07, 17:38
England's predictable fate has clearly delighted the anti-Anglo's in Scotland.
No problem with that at all. I find it all quite amusing.

Now we might have an interesting fixture in the early summer of '08...England v. Scotland, or vice versa. I do so hope the simmering insecurites of the insular on both sides can be assuaged in a good game of football, and a thumping victory for the overpaid lummoxes in white. Such a win might reveal the true order of Britain's football pecking order, and bring some fanciful notions fostered of late down to earth.

cd1977
22-Nov-07, 18:03
A thumping win for anyone against the current Scotland team is not on the cards in the forseeable future. We have our pride back and, with our current starting eleven, are more than a match for any international team you care to name.

What I find amusing is the contrast between Saturday and Wednesday. I am referring to these awful, insular sycophants who work for Sky. On Saturday it was a case of unlucky you plucky Scots, sorry you wont be going to the Euros etc etc, with the assumption being they would show us how to do it on Wednesday. And now look at them. My heart bleeds - not!

Premiership the best league in the world? - it's not even the best league in England - that honour goes to the Championship. Fill the England team with 11 of those boys and they would do better than that lot last night. Their football has completely sold it's soul for cash. That is the REAL problem which they will never acknowledge, especially on Sky.

percy toboggan
22-Nov-07, 18:25
Premiership the best league in the world? - it's not even the best league in England - that honour goes to the Championship. Fill the England team with 11 of those boys and they would do better than that lot last night. Their football has completely sold it's soul for cash. That is the REAL problem which they will never acknowledge, especially on Sky.

Of course they won't - they bought it !!

And furthermnore I agree with almost every word you say.

I'm thinking of adopting a Scottish club to follow purely as an interest. Montrose or Arbroath spring to mind. I wonder of they have websites.
I shall away, and find oot.

Rheghead
22-Nov-07, 18:28
I'm thinking of adopting a Scottish club to follow purely as an interest..Montrose or Arbroath spring to mind...

How about 'Supercaleygoballistcelticareattrocious'? ;) And it's fairly locallish to Caithness.

LENSMAN
22-Nov-07, 22:14
Anyone fancy a cheap shirt?
Suspect the price will drop even further.
A few going north of the border?
http://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag_4_5/football/product_details.aspx?pid=41891&bid=14&mid=34

Agent McClaren return to base, mission accomplished.

psyberyeti
22-Nov-07, 23:14
at least Scotland got as far as they did by playing to the best of their ability. England only got as far as they did because some other team, that they wer'nt playing, lost, so England went through? I don't understand.:confused

Come on Coultard - pull out all the stops this season and really make a go of it - now, F1 I do understand and DC could do it (please please please) next year. :cool:

lasher
23-Nov-07, 01:48
Must admit i had a few pints last nite to celebrate the final result! Haha:lol:

Boozeburglar
23-Nov-07, 10:41
DC could do it (please please please) next year. :cool:

Mmmhhh, now we really are getting fanciful.

;)

TBH
23-Nov-07, 10:46
We have our pride back and, with our current starting eleven, are more than a match for any international team you care to name.
.How about erm, georgia?;)

Metalattakk
23-Nov-07, 11:03
We have our pride back and, with our current starting eleven, are more than a match for any international team you care to name.

How about erm, georgia?;)

Ah yes, that was the game where we played Pearson in central midfield (eh?) and we were missing Brown and Hutton, as well as McFadden?

What part of 'current starting eleven' do you not understand? :roll:

Boozeburglar
23-Nov-07, 11:27
I recall a defeat to the Ukraine too?

I take your point, but you can't bank on having the players you want available, see what happened to England.

We should still have won the Georgia game comfortably.

I wouldn't bet against us doing really well in the World Cup, but the whole team have to play out of their skins as we know they can do.

For all those who seem to think you cannot be a patriot if you also take an interest in our neighbours progress too, bear in mind football is a sport, and not a mandatory part of being Scottish.

I would describe myself as a proud Scot; and I know plenty others who do not have the slightest interest in football who are equally proud Scots.

We are a nation that has a lot more going for it than our national football team. England perhaps does not have such a strong national identity and this may lie behind the way they see their national football team.

;)

TBH
23-Nov-07, 11:38
Ah yes, that was the game where we played Pearson in central midfield (eh?) and we were missing Brown and Hutton, as well as McFadden?

What part of 'current starting eleven' do you not understand? Retract those claws matalattakk...Raaawwwrrr.:roll:
Considering it's a squad game and the different players that have 'participated' for Scotland over the 2008 qualifying campaign how can you claim to know what alex mcleish's current starting 11 would be for any given match?
I suppose Gordon smith could do worse than give you a shout when alex gives up the international ghost and goes back to club football.[lol]

Metalattakk
23-Nov-07, 12:29
Considering it's a squad game and the different players that have 'participated' for Scotland over the 2008 qualifying campaign how can you claim to know what alex mcleish's current starting 11 would be for any given match?
Are you seriously saying that McLeish would voluntarily leave out Brown, Hutton and McFadden for any chosen match?

In any case, the 'current starting eleven' referred to earlier would, I presume, be the 'most recent starting eleven'.

I suppose Gordon smith could do worse than give you a shout when alex gives up the international ghost and goes back to club football.[lol]
LOL! I'd have a field day and get stuck right into the self-serving press and meddling media, tell all those bumbling idiots that run Scottish Football where they're going wrong, and how to fix it, and I'd likely be given the 'Spanish Archer' by tea-time.

But then the SFA would do their research first, surely, before offering someone who's not a 'yes' man the job. ;)

octane
23-Nov-07, 13:23
I see they've had to recall all the Sat Navs for re-programming as England wont be in Europe next year !

Boozeburglar
23-Nov-07, 13:28
...and does that joke not work equally for Scotland?

;)

cd1977
23-Nov-07, 14:26
Current starting eleven = the eleven who played last Saturday. Possibly our strongest team, although Naysmith is a weak link and Kenny Miller could certainly justify a place given his impact as a sub last week. Those eleven would be a match for any other international team.

The days of 6-0 gubbings are over.

Berti Vogts for England :cool:

shazzap
23-Nov-07, 16:25
Have just been reading comments re Engalnd team & i think it's all very childish.Football like any other sport is supposed to be a game for enjoyment .But all it seems to be now is money orientated and trouble causing.Before anyone thinks yeh you would say that your not from Scotland

The only people i support are myself & my family

scorrie
23-Nov-07, 16:45
Current starting eleven = the eleven who played last Saturday. Possibly our strongest team, although Naysmith is a weak link and Kenny Miller could certainly justify a place given his impact as a sub last week. Those eleven would be a match for any other international team.

Berti Vogts for England :cool:

Would you give me even money Brazil in a competitive game against Scotland?

Scotland had an excellent run in the qualifiers but they are hardly a match for the world yet. Early on in the Italy game Scotland looked VERY shaky and they are very much a team who has to try to pinch a goal and hold on to what they have. Scotland chasing a game is a very different proposition, they do not have the ball control and passing skills of the worlds top teams. Scotland were at a point where they could scarcely get worse and the only way was up. They have restored some pride but they have a long way to go to become a contender. Having had a look at the betting for the 2010 World Cup, I see that there are 55 teams ahead of Scotland in the betting!! That list includes Togo, China, Iran and Guinea. If you fancy Scotland to be up there with the world's best, then surely they are something to bet on at 750/1

I must admit to being totally shocked at England's status in the betting though. Only Brazil, Argentina and Italy are rated to be better bets than England, who are a miserly 9/1 to win their first major event in, what will be, 44 years of trying.

cd1977
23-Nov-07, 16:54
We were more than a match for Italy, the current world champions. But for some UEFA-centric refereeing we could well have gone through.

I would fancy us to beat Brazil at Hampden. They would undoubtedly beat us in Brazil. But we will not be embarrassed by anyone.

I never said we would be world champions, only that we could hold our own in any company.

scotsboy
23-Nov-07, 17:30
We were more than a match for Italy, the current world champions. But for some UEFA-centric refereeing we could well have gone through.

I would fancy us to beat Brazil at Hampden. They would undoubtedly beat us in Brazil. But we will not be embarrassed by anyone.

I never said we would be world champions, only that we could hold our own in any company.

Assuming that we play Brasil in a friendly at Hampden, I think you may not be far off - the circus thatis Team Brasil and their friendlies very rarely test the opposition they play away. In a competative match, I doubt we would be able to get a draw.

I thought we were embarrassed by Georgia..........and tht wasn't too long ago.........remind me where they are in the FIFA rankings.

cd1977
23-Nov-07, 17:43
Dig a wee bit deeper and you will see that Georgia changed almost their whole team after losing to Italy on the Saturday night. They were therefore extremely fresh. We had four enforced changes from the Ukraine game, however our players were heavy legged in that game after the efforts of the Saturday game. Even then we should have had a penalty and lost two poorly defended goals, which is uncharacteristic.

The team that lost to Georgia, and the factors involved, is not the team I am referring to.

Give us our regular starting eleven, when they are all fit, and I stick to my point.

The so called "pecking order" in international football means nothing. Croatia more than proved that on Wednesday. Northern Ireland also did so on a few occasions. Only in club football, where money corrupts everything and dilutes the competition, can there be definite winners & losers.

International football is all about the endeavour on the day, and we can match anyone for that, yes even Brazil. Look no further than the opening game of France 98, when we lost unluckily in a competitive game to them.

hotrod4
23-Nov-07, 21:03
Who cares if we(scotland) can beat Brazil or any one else for that matter?
We lost, but my god did we go down with a fight.The campaign had every man and boy in the country rooting for our countries team, can you remember the last time that a nation came together as one. The atmosphere around the country was amazing and made me feel proud to be a scot.Can the english support say the same? As they expect to get there they become very bitter when they dont make it.
A special mention as well to boys of norn irn(my adopted second nation!) who had an amazing campaign as well, and also like us a much harder group than England.
Its a pity none of the home nations will be there, even England.by the way I am tipping Romania or Croatia to Win.

scorrie
23-Nov-07, 21:20
Dig a wee bit deeper and you will see that Georgia changed almost their whole team after losing to Italy on the Saturday night. They were therefore extremely fresh. We had four enforced changes from the Ukraine game, however our players were heavy legged in that game after the efforts of the Saturday game. Even then we should have had a penalty and lost two poorly defended goals, which is uncharacteristic.

The team that lost to Georgia, and the factors involved, is not the team I am referring to.

Give us our regular starting eleven, when they are all fit, and I stick to my point.

The so called "pecking order" in international football means nothing. Croatia more than proved that on Wednesday. Northern Ireland also did so on a few occasions. Only in club football, where money corrupts everything and dilutes the competition, can there be definite winners & losers.

International football is all about the endeavour on the day, and we can match anyone for that, yes even Brazil. Look no further than the opening game of France 98, when we lost unluckily in a competitive game to them.

All I see here is a list of ifs, buts and maybes. Excuses for poor Scottish play and endless bad luck cited as the reason for games they lost. The "Football" you are talking about is the Cup game mentality, where loads of factors going in your favour can lead to an upset. "If we put our best 11 on the field, if we are at home, if the other team aren't taking it seriously enough, if the ref gives the right decisions etc etc"

It seems strange that, if rankings mean nothing and it is all about endeavour on the day, the same nations seem to keep winning the World Cup
?

scorrie
23-Nov-07, 21:32
Who cares if we(scotland) can beat Brazil or any one else for that matter?
We lost, but my god did we go down with a fight.The campaign had every man and boy in the country rooting for our countries team, can you remember the last time that a nation came together as one. The atmosphere around the country was amazing and made me feel proud to be a scot.Can the english support say the same? As they expect to get there they become very bitter when they dont make it.
A special mention as well to boys of norn irn(my adopted second nation!) who had an amazing campaign as well, and also like us a much harder group than England.
Its a pity none of the home nations will be there, even England.by the way I am tipping Romania or Croatia to Win.

You contradict yourself totally here:-

"Who cares if we (Scotland) can beat Brazil or anyone else for that matter?"

You then go on to say that the campaign had the whole nation gripped and rooting for Scotland, bringing us all together as one.

So you are, effectively, saying that nobody cared if we could beat Italy YET we were united, to a man, in hoping that Scotland would score more goals than Italy did in last week's game!!

Scotland did well in a tough group. Is that, then, the limit of our ambitions? Are we happy because we are not getting thrashed and are we taking comfort from the fact that England also failed, arguably in less "glorious" fashion?

It is a bold statement to start comparing ourselves with the best in the world and I still wait for a taker at evens Brazil in a competitive game.

golach
23-Nov-07, 21:40
Scorrie, your begining to sound like Alan Hansen, please dont .....Yawwwnnn

hotrod4
23-Nov-07, 22:14
You contradict yourself totally here:-

"Who cares if we (Scotland) can beat Brazil or anyone else for that matter?"

You then go on to say that the campaign had the whole nation gripped and rooting for Scotland, bringing us all together as one.

So you are, effectively, saying that nobody cared if we could beat Italy YET we were united, to a man, in hoping that Scotland would score more goals than Italy did in last week's game!!

Scotland did well in a tough group. Is that, then, the limit of our ambitions? Are we happy because we are not getting thrashed and are we taking comfort from the fact that England also failed, arguably in less "glorious" fashion?

It is a bold statement to start comparing ourselves with the best in the world and I still wait for a taker at evens Brazil in a competitive game.

I never stated that we "didnt care" as in "I dont care about...." I meant it in the terms of "so what,big deal,water of a ducks back,theres always tomorrow".
I suppose when it is in the written word you cannot detect my emotion and phrasing for which I humbly apologise :)

And i dont think you are beginning to sound like Alan Hansen, i would say more like the scottish guy from the fast show with Paul whitehouse -jumpers for goalposts, kids in the park kicking a ball.............. ;) made me chuckle just thinking about those sketches :roll

Jeemag_USA
23-Nov-07, 22:31
After the reshuffle of the UEFA rankings, I did my own little draw using names in pots for the WC qualifiers. Came out quite interesting, I was hoping we would get drawn with Kazakstan this weekend, woudl be fun for the Tartan Army doing all that Borat stuff "HIGH FIVE!" :Razz

Anyway, as it stands England have sliped into pot 2 so we cannot play in the same group as them and also we avoid Russia, Sweden, Bulgaria, Turkey (phew), Poland, Romania and Israel who moved up in the rankings.

Here is what I pulled out of the hat, not very good, hope we get it easier in the real draw.

Group E

Spain
SCOTLAND
REP.OF IRELAND
Cyprus
Armenia
Montenegro

Group C

Portugal
ENGLAND
Ukraine
WALES
Iceland
Estonia

Group A

Greece
Poland
N.IRELAND
Lithuania
Azerbaijan
Malta

During my little playn around, this to me was the group of death I pulled out of the hat.....

Group G

Czech Republic
Romania
Finland
Hungary
Austria
Luxembourg :Razz

Looking forward to the real draw the morrow!!!

TBH
23-Nov-07, 22:57

Berti Vogts for England :cool:Herr Vogts should be given credit for the work that he did in blooding some of the current Scotland squad and the gubbings were perhaps in hindsight a good character building process for some of those players, made them realize what is required to be a top professional and that is something that can't be taken from him, like him or loathe him he paved the way for the successes that smith and then mcleish enjoyed since then.

scorrie
23-Nov-07, 23:36
Scorrie, your begining to sound like Alan Hansen, please dont .....Yawwwnnn

I don't moan about your boring posts golach.

I will say it as I see it. If you don't like it, don't read it. You have an awful lot to learn about being tolerant of other people's opinions. The Daily Record and the "Land of Make Believe" are there for those who wish to wax on about how fantastic Scotland are.

scorrie
23-Nov-07, 23:44
I never stated that we "didnt care" as in "I dont care about...." I meant it in the terms of "so what,big deal,water of a ducks back,theres always tomorrow".
I suppose when it is in the written word you cannot detect my emotion and phrasing for which I humbly apologise :)

And i dont think you are beginning to sound like Alan Hansen, i would say more like the scottish guy from the fast show with Paul whitehouse -jumpers for goalposts, kids in the park kicking a ball.............. ;) made me chuckle just thinking about those sketches :roll

The way I see it, we should either aspire to being a real threat to the World's elite or settle for the mentality where the occasional glorious failure is seen as a big achievement. Pardon me for being a realist.

You will note that I do not stoop to comparing people to TV Pundits or characters from comedy shows. When I see other people resorting to such tactics, I know that their ability to debate a point effectively is rather limited.

Metalattakk
24-Nov-07, 00:35
The way I see it, we should either aspire to being a real threat to the World's elite or settle for the mentality where the occasional glorious failure is seen as a big achievement. Pardon me for being a realist.

Far from being a realist, you're displaying a negativity that's frankly astonishing. I will be happy to see my country's national football team playing to the uppermost of their limits, and yet expect no more.

Thankfully, I have been happy to witness such a quality in many recent games.

You will note that I do not stoop to comparing people to TV Pundits or characters from comedy shows. When I see other people resorting to such tactics, I know that their ability to debate a point effectively is rather limited.

God bless the self-proclaimed 'High and Mighty', for alas, they need it more than they will ever know. ;)

hotrod4
24-Nov-07, 08:41

I use the comparison to TV pundits to lighten the mood a little as when writing replies with strength against posts can seem a little demeaning and anti-social.
I love a good debate and enjoy reading others points of view, though maybe my style is a little more laid back,I use humour to let posters know I am not getting personal against them and the humour is to encourage good feeling,though I apologise if I have imposed my humble wit against your obviously more superior intelect!!(joke by the way;))

scorrie
25-Nov-07, 16:48
Far from being a realist, you're displaying a negativity that's frankly astonishing. I will be happy to see my country's national football team playing to the uppermost of their limits, and yet expect no more.

Thankfully, I have been happy to witness such a quality in many recent games.

God bless the self-proclaimed 'High and Mighty', for alas, they need it more than they will ever know. ;)

It is one of the oldest chestnuts in the world to label to label people with a different view to your as being "negative"

To put my input in this thread into proper context, you should look at the fact that I have praised Scotland for doing as well as they did in a tough group. That is hardly being negative. My replies have been against the notion that Scotland are now on a footing with ANY international side. If people are happy with the fact that Scotland tried to qualify but failed, then that is their prerogative. I simply make the point that Scotland, once again, let it slip against a supposedly inferior nation. I had expected Scotland to beat Georgia and actually qualify for the finals. I don't think I need to apologise to anyone for setting my sights a little higher for the national team. I can guarantee that the players had their sights set beyond glorious failure as well.

I recall when Scotland beat Holland 1-0 at Hampden, I was barked down for saying that Scotland were lucky to win. All I was saying was that we shouldn't get carried away on the back of one result. One glance at the following day's paper showed that we certainly WERE carried away. A big headline declared "The Future's Bright and It's NOT Orange". Holland were apparently past it and Scotland were on the up. Three days later Holland 6 Scotland 0 and pressmen's sphincters, which had been open for three days, finally closed with a bang.

So, carry on being happy with what you see as success and I will carry on looking for what I consider to be achievement. If, by refraining from telling you that you sound like some ass on the telly and telling you to shut your teeth (followed by a big yawn), makes me high and mighty, then so be it. It is not much to ask for some manners.

scorrie
25-Nov-07, 17:03
I use the comparison to TV pundits to lighten the mood a little as when writing replies with strength against posts can seem a little demeaning and anti-social.
I love a good debate and enjoy reading others points of view, though maybe my style is a little more laid back,I use humour to let posters know I am not getting personal against them and the humour is to encourage good feeling,though I apologise if I have imposed my humble wit against your obviously more superior intelect!!(joke by the way;))

I think that most people who are trying to make a serious point about something, would find it insulting to be compared to a comedy show character. It makes the inference that their point of view is laughable. It is fine to have humour in a debate when it is used appropriately. All to often, it is simply used to deride another poster. Debate should be about conceding fair points made by another party and offering your own reasoning as to why your opinion may differ. I am not bothered by your comments in themselves, I just feel that they stifle a proper debate on the matter. However, I will concede that you had more worthwhile content than Golach's "You are boring, shut it Alan Hansen" jibe!!

golach
25-Nov-07, 17:09
[quote=golach;300542]Scorrie, your begining to sound like Alan Hansen, please dont .....Yawwwnnn

Golach's "You are boring, shut it Alan Hansen" jibe!!
Scorrie please show me where I said you were "boring" or to "shut it" and I did say please

scorrie
25-Nov-07, 18:39
[quote=scorrie;300603]

Scorrie please show me where I said you were "boring" or to "shut it" and I did say please

The word "don't" indicates that I have to stop. The long yawn, indicates boredom.

The word "please" only works when used in the correct context. Your comments were both cheeky AND rude.

Jeemag_USA
25-Nov-07, 21:17
England got drawn with Croatia again for the WC qualifiers and got Ukraine as well

Group 6

Croatia
ENGLAND
Ukraine
Belarus
Kazakhstan
Andorra

Scotland got not a bad group, we ended up in the group of five which I discovered is not a bad thing because when they assess the best runners up the chop off all results and goals that teams in groups of six have scored against the weakest team in the group. Anyway I think if we play our best football we can win our group.

Group 9

Holland
SCOTLAND
Norway
Macedonia
Iceland

The other thing is we have two less rounds to play and we can arrange friendlies against good teams on those days to bleed in young players.