PDA

View Full Version : Windows media player Help

Naefearjustbeer
06-Sep-05, 20:37
I have window media player 10 and when I play video clips I dont get any sound, I did until a couple of days ago but not now. If I play the same clip in quicktime or real player it works ok!! Anyone have any ideas I am running windows XP home with sp2 installed

George Brims
06-Sep-05, 22:56
Right-click on the wee loudspeaker sysmbol at the bottom of your screen, and then click on "Open volume control" . That has a control slider for overal volume, and individual ones for "Wave", "SW synth" and "CD Player". I bet you will find "Wave" is either muted or set to minimum. Different programs and hardware devices will sometimes do this.

roybacer
06-Sep-05, 23:11
try going to help and check for updates it worked for me

Naefearjustbeer
06-Sep-05, 23:13
Thanks but that is one of the first things I checked, all the volume sliders are turned on and up

luskentyre
07-Sep-05, 00:12
If it's just Windows Media that's silent then it may just be that program which is muted. Have a look at the button in the bottom left-hand corner, next to the "previous" and "next" buttons. The "mute" button may have been activated by accident.

grmacken
07-Sep-05, 09:52
ignore all previous posts :-P

the problem will be you need the ac3 codec, or another one you dont have.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/k-lite_codec_pack_full.cfm

dl that and install it, it has every codec you could ever need

Naefearjustbeer
07-Sep-05, 10:30
If it's just Windows Media that's silent then it may just be that program which is muted. Have a look at the button in the bottom left-hand corner, next to the "previous" and "next" buttons. The "mute" button may have been activated by accident.

Thanks that did the trick, my I feel stupid for not noticing that.

luskentyre
07-Sep-05, 22:27
Glad to be of help. It's not easy to spot - it's not obvious at all when it's muted.

I've got a wireless keyboard which occasionally sends out random keystrokes, including the "mute" function - which is why I know this!

George Brims
07-Sep-05, 22:46
I just looked at that thing - the button is tiny and the symbol when it's muted is simply a wee loudspeaker, not a loudspeaker with a line through it or a cross over it. You might not think it meant "mute" unless you had clicked it and seen how it changes. Another wee detail that reminds me how desperately annoying Mocrosoft can be when they put their tiny minds to it!

marion
11-Sep-05, 16:02
I just looked at that thing - the button is tiny and the symbol when it's muted is simply a wee loudspeaker, not a loudspeaker with a line through it or a cross over it. You might not think it meant "mute" unless you had clicked it and seen how it changes. Another wee detail that reminds me how desperately annoying Mocrosoft can be when they put their tiny minds to it!

I have found Microsoft quite annoying and wonder whether they go out of their way to prove it. They are predictably unpredictable.