PDA

View Full Version : Snow forecast

highlander
20-Nov-07, 14:57
Just noticed on bbc24 they said we are getting snow this weekend, tuggs can you tell us if we will need the sledges out?

xx_chickie
20-Nov-07, 15:01
*fingers crossed*!!

Tugmistress
20-Nov-07, 15:35
Just noticed on bbc24 they said we are getting snow this weekend, tuggs can you tell us if we will need the sledges out?

ok at the moment looking at the 06z charts there is a small chance of snow overnight thursday up to about friday lunch but that wont amount to anything i don't think and then the next chance is from sunday lunch until wednesday morning. This second chance will produce a little but not enough for any major sledging events but coupled with the stiff caithness breeze allow extra traveling time for blizzarding conditions when driving. The second chance is also still quite a few days away and i will keep an eye out on the charts for any changes as it can change right up until the day before as we all know! the charts can only predict with a certain amount of accuracy and further than 4 days is quite dodgy also the 12z charts are the most accurate for up here i have found and they don't come in to the public domain until after 4pm this afternoon so i'll take another look tonight.

if you are interested the link for the relevant charts is here (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=gfsh500;sess=)

quirbal
20-Nov-07, 15:35
Come on, as much snow as possible please.:)

brew
20-Nov-07, 16:09
Wohooooo!!! Bring it on, Oh hell, hang on what am I talking about, I have to walk to work.!!!!!

dandod
20-Nov-07, 16:17
Bring it on!!! the more snow the merrier!!!:lol:

Tugmistress
20-Nov-07, 17:36
ok the 12z charts knock the second 'hit' out altogether giving it getting mild again.
will watch and update if i see any chance of snow :)

anneoctober
21-Nov-07, 00:34
Will we ever see snow like the old days? Huge snowfall , then getting so "crispy" that you can walk on it without sinking waist high.....:lol:
BRING IT ON ! Just one more chance to build a fortress, make dozens of snowballs ready to pelt the unsuspecting postie and duck back into your den..................:~(

hotrod4
21-Nov-07, 07:33
Many thanks tuggs for the updates. Good to know we have someone on here who knows what they are talking about!! :)
Dont have a clue about weather charts myself but will keep checking your info.
Once again thanks.

bekisman
21-Nov-07, 08:09
Talking about weather charts, found that this one is great to show the predicted winds etc:
http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/

Bit scary watching the storms form out in the Atlantic and heading for us and then (most of the time) breaking up before they hit!

Tugmistress
21-Nov-07, 08:11
Magicseaweed is great for the swell report for thurso bay, you'll find it in the drop down menu on the left :) then click on detailed once you have chosen thurso bay and then look at the height of the swell ;)

quirbal
21-Nov-07, 17:33
I took a look at the charts and couldn't make heads or tails of them.:confused

Tugmistress
21-Nov-07, 17:41
I took a look at the charts and couldn't make heads or tails of them.:confused

looks complicated but it is relatively easy really to be able to get a good understanding of what weather is coming our way :)

If you want a quick run down of how to read a couple of the different versions i linked to let me know and i'll type a quick guide up using the actual charts of what is coming to show you

quirbal
21-Nov-07, 18:27
looks complicated but it is relatively easy really to be able to get a good understanding of what weather is coming our way

If you want a quick run down of how to read a couple of the different versions i linked to let me know and i'll type a quick guide up using the actual charts of what is coming to show you

Cheers for offering :) but I think I'd probably just get confused.:confused