PDA

View Full Version : closed at lunchtimes

sweep
19-Nov-07, 20:27
was surprised and dissappointed to find a & d's furniture shop in wick closed over lunchtime today. tried to give them some business but as i work fulltime, lunchtime is the only time i can pop out for shopping. the carpet chain at the retail park WAS open though. the kiln store in thurso closes over lunch also and of course that's when you want to visit it. surely if business is important to them, they can stagger lunchbreaks or take a sandwich in order to catch this trade

angela5
19-Nov-07, 20:38
And these are the ones who'll moan about the new shops, and complain when we shop there.

Rheghead
19-Nov-07, 20:50
I agree, when this happens, I just leave it until I can shop on Amazon or down south. It just seems to me that whenever I take my rare trip to Thurso, it is lunchtime!:roll:

Yoda the flump
19-Nov-07, 21:48
Six or seven years ago I tried to go into a toy shop in Thurso (its no longer trading) on the last Saturday before christmas only to be told they were shutting for lunch!

angela5
19-Nov-07, 22:01
I agree, when this happens, I just leave it until I can shop on Amazon or down south. It just seems to me that whenever I take my rare trip to Thurso, it is lunchtime!:roll:

The last time i decided to go to Thurso it was a Thursday afternoon, half day:roll:
I've done all my christmas shopping this year on-line.

Buttercup
19-Nov-07, 22:29
was surprised and dissappointed to find a & d's furniture shop in wick closed over lunchtime today. tried to give them some business but as i work fulltime, lunchtime is the only time i can pop out for shopping. the carpet chain at the retail park WAS open though. the kiln store in thurso closes over lunch also and of course that's when you want to visit it. surely if business is important to them, they can stagger lunchbreaks or take a sandwich in order to catch this trade
I'm certainly not defending these shops in any way as it's my pet hate too but why should the staff have to "take a sandwich"? Maybe the staff in these shops work full time and use lunchtimes to "pop out shopping", like yourself. Some probably can't stagger their lunchtimes as there's too few of them to cover the shop. Perhaps it would be an idea if you want to go shopping during your lunchbreak to pick another time rather than 1 - 2 when you know these shops are shut.
Love to know how you can manage to go from between Thurso and Wick during your lunch! ;)

lady penelope
19-Nov-07, 23:39
Buttercup, if all the shops are shut at lunchtime then popping out to shop would be pointless! All the shops would be closed[lol]

rhino
19-Nov-07, 23:46
When we moved up here, we unpacked the kettle and went to the bakers around the corner, for something for lunch. It was closed for lunch!!!!!

Why is a place that sells food for peoples lunches, shut at lunchtimes?

If the high street is struggling to compete then how can they afford to lose trade? surely better to have to eat on the job, than lose custom to the bigger stores.

Buttercup
20-Nov-07, 01:14
Buttercup, if all the shops are shut at lunchtime then popping out to shop would be pointless! All the shops would be closed[lol]
Indeed it would, then maybe lunchtime would go back to being lunch time. :lol:
It just seems to me like the OP implied that it's OK for everyone else to have lunch but not shop workers because everyone else wants to shop during lunchtime.
BTW most times I've been in the Kiln Store there has only been one assistant working.

sweep
20-Nov-07, 11:29
of course if i worked for the council it would be easy. i would just go out during office hours to shop. i see council staff regularily in town centre, mckays, woolies etc shopping. i could forgive nipping out for food but there ought to be limits.

Ash
20-Nov-07, 11:31
when are these workers meant to eat then, why should they only grab 5mins for a sandwich? yes there is only ever 1member of staff in kiln store, if theres a few members of staff then fair enough one could have lunch between 12-1 then the other 1-2, but if theres only one member of staff he or she is entilted to a lunch break

mums angels
20-Nov-07, 11:58
it can be very annoying when shops shut for lunch especially the bigger ones but smaller shops don't always have the staff to stagger breaks properly ... and they shouldnt have to be stuck it with a packed lunch every day:( . i was thrilled when the chemists began staying open over lunch a few years back that was always my pet peeve, much better now ..think its just the pharmisist that you have to wait for but suppose he needs lunch too

Thumper
20-Nov-07, 12:27
Six or seven years ago I tried to go into a toy shop in Thurso (its no longer trading) on the last Saturday before christmas only to be told they were shutting for lunch!

Yoda,I bet that was the same shop I was in just before lunchtime a few years ago and the man asked me to leave and come back at 2 as they were closing for lunch...needless to say I went elsewhere and bought the toy I wanted [evil] x

rhino
20-Nov-07, 13:30
when are these workers meant to eat then, why should they only grab 5mins for a sandwich? yes there is only ever 1member of staff in kiln store, if theres a few members of staff then fair enough one could have lunch between 12-1 then the other 1-2, but if theres only one member of staff he or she is entilted to a lunch break

Agree in principle with you, but for the needs of their business sacrafices are sometimes needed. I manage a larger gaint with loads of staff but still only manage a quick 5mins here and there. Could you imagine the chaos if the cities closed for lunch?

mtaiters
22-Nov-07, 15:00
Kiln Store now open at lunchtimes.Opening hours 10-00 am to 5-00 pm

bekisman
22-Nov-07, 16:21
I see that Sutters (?) in Thurso used to close for lunch - in spite of many staff, funny how, now it's been taken over AND with the same staff they now stay open over the lunch hour?

cyberman
22-Nov-07, 17:06
Its the usual thing though, the shops that still close at lunch times are the ones that are the first to complain if any one dare open a new shop, or at the sight of asda, tesco etc. If they were more reliable and gave customer satisfaction instead of growling when you walk through there doors then they may be in a safer situation now?

I am one for asda and cana wait, but tescos will do for now although I will always only buy from wm mackay butchers, saggs fish shop and johnstons the bakers the rest can forget my business.

And before any one asks yes I am a Local and have been since I was born in Dumbar Hospital.

I hope there are local retailers reading and keeping up with the towns feeling on the subject

henry20
22-Nov-07, 17:12
I for one like the local shops and have yet to be growled at by any staff members.

Apart from my charity Xmas shopping, all my presents have been bought locally and for cheaper than south. I've tried sourcing a lot of the items I bought in catalogues and on the internet, but none were cheaper. GO ME!!!