PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Spider

sassylass
06-Sep-05, 01:10
The spider on the front page of ccws looks like a wolf spider

http://www.timart.be/Npaginas/foto/wolf_spider.html

htwood
06-Sep-05, 05:06
I was thinking that spider found in Shebster looks like it could be one of the many many variations of Golden Orb Weaver spiders. They dont all have bright yellow markings, some are more brownish and the size is certainly right.

KCERINN
06-Sep-05, 08:14
The spider was actually found in my bathroom in Shebster Court, Thurso. We think he came in thru the window?? I certainly dont fancy find any more of them.

At the moment he is being held in an old fish tank and I am going to take him to the Vets today to see if they can throw any light as to what species he is.

brandy
06-Sep-05, 09:45
eww eww yuck spiders! sqish sqish your keeping it?!
runs off terrified like the true spiderphobic she truly is!
just looking at the picture creeped me out.. what can i say im weak and terrified when it comes to spiders

Karen M26a
06-Sep-05, 12:10
Yuk - turf it out!

Looks a bit like a House Spider - proper name "Tegenaria domestica"

Have seen one of these babies before and they are big and fast! I could see features very clearly, especially it's jaws moving! YIKES! They are fairly common in britain, seemingly they enjoy damp climates! (Hence the bathroom!) Someone did once tell me they do bite, but it's not poisonous or all that painful, would most probaby cause a little irritation.

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/invertebrates_terrestrial_and_freshwater/Tegenaria_domestica/more_info.html

KCERINN
06-Sep-05, 13:05
The Vet has confirmed thats it is a female house spider. Dont fancy them as house guests.

MagicalTrevor
06-Sep-05, 13:55
You may find this article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4218436.stm

.. contradicts the vets prognosis :p

Tegenaria Gigantea is a harmless, large sheet web spider

moonshadow
06-Sep-05, 15:26
i know i dont talk much on here but i visit regularly but...................with this subject matter i request that any pictures should have been hidden away behind a link. due to the fact that there are alot of us that are spider phobic.
being on the main page like that without any warnings is not a good thing for us.

please can it be hidden.

lasher
06-Sep-05, 18:14
i know i dont talk much on here but i visit regularly but...................with this subject matter i request that any pictures should have been hidden away behind a link. due to the fact that there are alot of us that are spider phobic.
being on the main page like that without any warnings is not a good thing for us.

please can it be hidden.

You must be joking, it's a picture on a website! :roll: :D

2little2late
06-Sep-05, 21:31
Have to agree with Karen M26a. It looks like a house spider, but perhaps the species Tegenaria gigantea. Although they only reach a size of about 18mm. This one is extremely large. Follow this link.

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th11f(1).htm

MadPict
06-Sep-05, 21:55
I often have to eject spiders as big as this one.... :eek:

Donnie
07-Sep-05, 08:27

please can it be hidden.

If caithness.org catered for all of these so called phobias then it would be a very empty front page.

jay
07-Sep-05, 08:43
it's not just a picture on a website

- it's a spider on a website - what's more natural than a spider on the web!!!!!!!!!!!

frank ward
07-Sep-05, 16:28
I suspect it is just a very large example of the
common house spider, Tegenaria Gigantea.

We have plenty big spiders in our old house, usually announced with a squeal
of terror from my wife in the morning when one appears in the bath. Legspans
are frequently as large as the palm of my hand!

They don't bite! I chuck it out the window, though I suspect it returns a few days later.

It builds a ragged sheet web which can also be quite large. They like living near to warm pipes (well ours do anyway!).
These spiders can grow quite big and its the males, apparently, that have a large legspan.

Cadalach
08-Sep-05, 08:56
I could easily be wrong but I think your spider photo is a
common House Spider (Agelenidae: Tegonaria domestica :eek: ) but it does seem
to be a wee bit on the large side, maybe a bit of Dounreays legacy ?
Does it glow in the dark perhaps?
:D

Hibeechick
08-Sep-05, 11:52
Found one exactly the same in the house the other night!

Was put under and upside down glass until someone felt brave enough to throw it out the back door - and it certainly wasnt me! :roll:

x

golach
08-Sep-05, 15:07
Just be thankful we dont have this family of Arachnids in the UK and Moonshadow I am warning you before you look, and guys, its the female one you have to watch out for [lol]

http://www.termite.com/spiders/Red-Back-Spider.shtml

George Brims
08-Sep-05, 20:05
I get those things in my garage all the time. Any time I move something that hasn't been disturbed for a while I am wary of them, though they always run away. They're not agressive. I am! I generally kill them. If I see them outside however I usually just leave them alone.

My job takes me up to a mountain (Mt Hamilton) in northern California from time to time, and when we go there for our next trip in October I expect to see lots of tarantulas. As the weather starts to cool off they migrate down the mountain in droves. The road is very windy so they also get squished in large numbers as they have to cross it multiple times if they head downhill in a straight line.

hereboy
08-Sep-05, 20:12
For those of you who just chuck your spiders out the back door - I remember hearing somewhere that you have to eject them to at least 15ft or so from the house or they will find their way straight back in....

It probably wouldn't hurt to burl them around a wee bit too just to totally disorientate them before letting them go...

Joey
09-Sep-05, 13:16
If you gardners out there want some rain, don't forget to stand on them first before you chuck them !! :D