PDA

View Full Version : Virus On MSN

Ash
19-Nov-07, 14:35
6 times a friends messenger has tried to send me a pic, my laptops telling me its a virus and i dont even think my friend is on messenger!

when told my boyfriend at bt his friends there is a messenger virus going about, so be careful:eek:

Bloo
20-Nov-07, 00:19
Yes, alot of my contacts seem to send that to me. Things like "LOL some guy just slammed his 90K car into a phone box and i got a pic of it on my cell phone! Check it out!"
"Do you think these pictures for myspace are to rude?"
"Hey, can i put these edited pics of you on my myspace?"

They all come with an attatchment. They're terrible but thankfully i havent accepted any so far...Phew![lol]:Razz

lazytown
20-Nov-07, 12:42
To protect yourself from getting an MSN Messenger Virus or an MSN Messenger worm there are a few things you can do.
First of all, NEVER accept a file from somebody you don’t know as well as files that you were not expecting.
If a friend sends you a file over MSN Messenger, make sure you confirm with them that it is indeed a real file and not an MSN Virus or Worm.
Another thing you can do is setup MSN Messenger to have your virus scanner scan the files coming into your machine for worms and viruses prior to you viewing them.

To do this, following these easy steps:

In the main Messenger window, click Options on the Tools menu.
On the Left Click on File Transfer (older versions may be under the messages tab), click the Scan for viruses using check box.
Click Browse, and then select your virus scanning software.
Also check the Automatically reject file transfers fro known unsafe file types

If you need more instructions on how to setup your virus scanning software properly, I would suggest reading over the help files in your virus scanning software
It is also a very good practice to make sure your virus definitions are current and up to date.

Other helpful tips taken from Microsoft’s Web Page:

Many viruses are designed to be sent via your Messenger contacts without their knowledge. Before accepting or opening an attached file, always check with the contact first to see if they intended to send the attachment to you.
If you are ever unsure about an attachment, do not open it. Delete the file immediately.

Be cautious about opening messages from people you do not know. Remember that in MSN Messenger you decide who is on your contacts list and who you want to receive messages from.