PDA

View Full Version : Rent the land or buy the Sheep?

Report Position
18-Nov-07, 21:30
Hey Orgers'

I have some land, about 3 acres, which isn't used and I've thought about getting some sheep but I really don't know anything about keeping sheep or any costs involved.
My other thought is letting/renting it out for grazing but I don't know if this is worth it.
I just don't want the land to go to waste.

any suggestions?

Max
18-Nov-07, 22:44
Don't know about sheep bu there are often horsey people looking to rent grazing. You could always put an ad up in Geddes and CLB and see what happens.

grandma
18-Nov-07, 23:03
Sheep are the stupidest animals put on this earth and their only aim in life is to die - especially the day before a sale. You have the hassle of getting them tupped, dosed, dipped, lambed, clipped and then disposed of when they pop their clogs or if you're very lucky, to a mart for selling where you will get next to nothing for them. Why not ask any neighbours if they need some extra grazing (if they've got livestock). A bit more grass might come in handy to them. If you do go down the grazing route, then be sure to make it for less than a year at a time. I think it's to do with the right to buy any rented ground if it's rented for so many consecutive years. Don't know what the cost of renting ground is either, sorry.
Gee whizz but it sounds as if I hate sheep !!! :lol:

JAWS
18-Nov-07, 23:30
Sheep involve a lot of work but stupid they aren't. There's nothing wrong with sheep.

Foxy
19-Nov-07, 00:37
Report position you would be best trying to rent out the ground as keeping sheep involves a lot of work.

Grandma i have worked with sheep for 30 years and have yet to come across a stupid one.

Wellies
19-Nov-07, 12:54
The problem with sheep they are too darn clever. They find holes in fences which don't exist and when it come to feeding them they seem to know the time of day it is and are all making a noise at the boxes if you are 2 minutes late. Oh and I have a few that recognise the back door opening and shout right away thinking they should be first to be fed. Yes they are alot of work and you don't get the price you should get at the mart for them. I have a picture that has this written at the bottom and it says it all "listen girls, its time for the lambing to begin and we have to decide who has the privilage of dying for no apparent reason". But saying all that I would never give up being a farmer.