PDA

View Full Version : Cat Advice

Jenni
18-Nov-07, 19:31
I adopted a cat from the Cats Protection League 3 weeks ago and up until today he made no signs of wanting to go outside. He is a lovely friendly cat and has settled in well with us. Today he became a bit restless and kept looking at the door so I am sure he is wanting out.
I am very wary of letting him out as I am terrified he won't come back. Does anyone know of any tips for when I let him out for the first time. He has been neutered so I am hoping he won't wander far.

Thanks
Jenni

nanoo
18-Nov-07, 19:42
Hi Jenni, I would advise you not to let him out at all, that way you won't have the worry about where they are or if they are okay. I have 6 cats and they are all house cats, 1 of them (Ernie, a neutered tom) was used to getting out but one night he did'nt come home and stayed out 2 days, needless to say, i was worried sick about him. When he came back in that day i told him,i hoped he enjoyed his outing and he has'nt been back out since. That was about 14 months ago Jenni and he is quite happy as a house cat, he only tried to get out for a couple of weeks then forgot about it, there are lots of toys in the house for them all and to be honest Ernie is the one that plays most with them, in fact sometimes i think, he thinks he's a dog. I thimk if he is happy in the house, just keep him in.;)

ks
18-Nov-07, 20:59
If he is getting restless and looking to get out it wouldn't be fair not to let him out unless you are beside a really busy road. Let him out at a quiet time and when he is hungry - if you start to tap the tin with the fork for a few days when you are feeding him you can then call him in by doing this. Also go out with him for the first few times.

Liz
18-Nov-07, 23:18
If he is getting restless and looking to get out it wouldn't be fair not to let him out unless you are beside a really busy road. Let him out at a quiet time and when he is hungry - if you start to tap the tin with the fork for a few days when you are feeding him you can then call him in by doing this. Also go out with him for the first few times.

Totally agree with KS.

I have three cats, two of which are house cats but I would never keep a cat in against their will.
Don't worry Jenni I'm sure he knows where he is well off!:lol:
I would advise that you try to get him in before night time if possible.

evelyn
18-Nov-07, 23:34
Hi Jenni
Were doing really well on this regime with our kitten.
Initially we went out to the garden with him, making sure he was hungry.
Lots of fun playing with twigs, then luring him back in and giving him a special tasty treat .
We gradually increased the amount of time he was out and started to just watch that he didn't wander too far, enticing him back in with some fun and again giving him a treat as soon as he came in.
Now he gets out for a short while on his own, on an empty stomach, and he gets a treat as soon as he comes in. I usually choose a quiet time of the day to do this when there are few cars around.
He just adores being out and although we feel a bit stressed its worth it to see the fun he has in the garden.
Best of luck
evelyn

Jenni
18-Nov-07, 23:42
Thanks for all your advice. I think I will keep him in until next weekend as I work during the day so don't want to let him out incase he doesn't return staight away. I will have all day Saturday and Sunday to spend time with him outside. He does like his biscuits so I could try rattling the box to get him in. I would be devastated if he wandered off but I also want him to be happy so if that means letting him out for a while then I will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers
Jenni

evelyn
18-Nov-07, 23:48
When my older cat was a kitten , all we had to do to get her in was to press the electric tin opener and she'd come running......not so easy with pouches!!!
evelyn

Dman
21-Nov-07, 14:41
Hi Jenni,
We've got a few cats we had one of them a few months ago and he wanted out so we bought a cat harness and went out with him every day for a few weeks so he could get used to his surroundings and the familiar smells of where he lives, he goes out on his own now and touch wood had no problems, but when you first let him out on his own do it before meal times, good luck I'm sure everything will be fine.:D

Jenni
03-Dec-07, 23:09
Update - I let my cat out yesterday for the first time and kept the back door open so that he could come in when he wanted. He wandered off for about an hour and came back by himself. He wanted out again tonight and I was a bit wary as it was dark. I eventually let him out but couldn't keep the door open due to the weather. I was back and forth all evening fretting and after about 2 hours he was there at the back door. Hopefully this means he can find his way home ok now.

Thanks for all your advice

Jenni

Liz
04-Dec-07, 09:17
That is good news Jenni!

Don't worry I am sure he knows where he is well off!

Many thanks for giving him such a lovely home!:D