PDA

View Full Version : Mini-motos

postman pat
03-Sep-05, 21:47
Where do you stand with the law on these little bikes, age limit, do you need a licence, mot, insurance etc, can anyone help! :confused

EDDIE
03-Sep-05, 23:20
These types of little bikes or off road bikes its illegal to drive them on the road or public places.ure only supposed to drive them on private ground but who does i dont think age matters.But they are quite difficult to drive if ure an adult and if u fall off you can do ure back in ?.

landmarker
04-Sep-05, 15:47
They are a pain in the backside - and I speak as a regular motor-cyclist.

Idiots of all ages occasionally ride them on footpaths around here. They are for private ground only. An adult riding one under the influence of drink on public roads/pavements could lose their driving licence.

We have grown men around here who straddle the things with looks of inane glee on their faces. My message to them is get a real blike or get a life.They are also noisy little pee & wind machines , with engine notes like crazed wasps.

I might sound like a killjoy, but the sooner someone breaks their neck on one of these things the sooner others may be deterred.

I have no problem when they are used away from people.

The import of these menaces should be banned, and any transgressors should have their piddling little toys confiscated.

Alan

roybacer
04-Sep-05, 17:54
get a real bike or get a life?so if u get a real bike u have a life then?wow uv got a life wen u buy a big bike,all i can say IS ON YOUR BIKE M8,mini motos are a bit of fun,if sum1 wants to risk themselves and others there is nothing you can do about it.

Biker
04-Sep-05, 18:38
These bikes are not road legal and therefore there is no requirement for MOT, Insurance, Licence and no age limit.

However as they are not road legal they cannot be used on the road or pavement!

I agree with Landmarker that they are a pain in the backside, but then so would a motorised go-cart be if it was used on the road! I don't agree that they should be banned from import! In the right place and at the right time I am sure they are good fun. The problem is that they are relatively cheap to buy and hence people get them and start riding where they shouldn't. And if grown men want to ride then a look stupid then that is there choice (provided it is in the appropriate place).

if sum1 wants to risk themselves and others there is nothing you can do about it.

I agree that they can risk themselves Roybacer, but to put others at risk is irresponsible and very probably illegal! While Landmarker may have been out of line with his statement at least his was about his opinion on something. You seem to be condoning a dangerous practice!

Dali
04-Sep-05, 20:08
Well we have plenty of land in caithness so there should be no problems people using them .
As for bigger bikes they are just as bad they are on the road most people driving like loons.
Big engines and biger egos.
If you use a mini moto on the road and get seen by police then i am sure they can charge you with no tax and no mot .
As i am sure that anything motorised over that can go over 14 mph has to have tax and mot.

landmarker
04-Sep-05, 22:00
if sum1 wants to risk themselves and others there is nothing you can do about it.

You're kidding? If one ever comes anywhere near me on a public footpath something will be done about it I assure you. Mate.

landmarker

landmarker
04-Sep-05, 22:04
[quote="Dali"]Well we have plenty of land in caithness so there should be no problems people using them .
As for bigger bikes they are just as bad they are on the road most people driving like loons.
Big engines and biger egos.
quote]

I agree, some motor-cyclists do ride their extremely powerful machines irresponsibly.
Eventually, a large proportion of these people end up dead or crippled . The majority ride carefully and defensively, some of these end up dead as well!
It's a dangerous practice but you can minimise the risk. I dont think it's fair to assume all riders of big machines have big ego's but if that's your view your entitled to it.

landmarker

Dali
05-Sep-05, 10:11
[quote]"landmarker" I dont think it's fair to assume ALL riders of big machines have big ego's but if that's your view your entitled to it.

[quote]"Dali" As for bigger bikes they are just as bad they are on the road MOST people driving like loons.

Ok its nice to quote people but even nicer if you read the post fully first.
If you look i said most not all .

William
05-Sep-05, 23:39
they look like a pest but have you had a shot of one? yes it is a little uncomfortable but it is rather a lot of fun and it is not very often that you can sit on something so small that can go faster then you running give it a go then tell every one you hate them.

landmarker
06-Sep-05, 07:55
they look like a pest but have you had a shot of one? yes it is a little uncomfortable but it is rather a lot of fun and it is not very often that you can sit on something so small that can go faster then you running give it a go then tell every one you hate them.

With my hips I'd never get on. Or if I did, I'd not get off again. :roll:
The sound of 'em is enough for me. I like a bike that rumbles or growls.
Grown men on these things for more than one novelty ride are an embarrasment.
Just my view like.

landmarker

William
06-Sep-05, 13:13
With my hips I'd never get on. Or if I did, I'd not get off again. :roll:
The sound of 'em is enough for me. I like a bike that rumbles or growls.
Grown men on these things for more than one novelty ride are an embarrasment.
Just my view like.

landmarker

Well that is fair enough, but that is like telling someone that you don't like chicken because of the way it looks, but looks can be deceving (spelling wrong i think).

Just for the record i don't like chicken but i have tried it

Apocalypse
06-Sep-05, 17:26
well i heard that they are planin 2 build a race track in week which i hink is a brill idea im even plan a mini moto noo lol