PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Panto in Thurso

lynseyj
18-Nov-07, 17:50
Does anyone know the dates for the panto in Thurso Hgh School this year?

Spring Flower
18-Nov-07, 17:55
Does anyone know the dates for the panto in Thurso Hgh School this year?

13 - 15 Dec - think showings at 1930 hours at night and then 2pm and 1930 hours on Saturday. You can get tickets from McBeaths in Thurso.

lynseyj
18-Nov-07, 18:25
Thanks for that.

Ash
18-Nov-07, 19:44
was gonna go a look, but cant believe how much a tickets costs, specially for a child:eek:

ks
18-Nov-07, 20:39
How much are they? I think they don't go on sale until Tuesday.

Bobinovich
18-Nov-07, 20:44
£7 & £5 according to their website (http://www.thursoplayers.org.uk/)

Spring Flower
18-Nov-07, 20:46
i thought prices were okay for panto [but then again we were at singing kettle and they charged £8 per person even the children!] - we going a look to. Tickets went on sale last week so you should be able to get them.

ks
18-Nov-07, 20:48
It said that they were on sale in paper but when we went to get them we were advised not until 20th!

alanatkie
18-Nov-07, 20:50
Prices arn't bad, its not anymore expensive than going to the cinema.

xx_chickie
19-Nov-07, 13:06
It's a wee bit more expensive, but worth it for all the preparation and effort put into the panto!! :D

Prices arn't bad, its not anymore expensive than going to the cinema.

Cattach
19-Nov-07, 16:39
was gonna go a look, but cant believe how much a tickets costs, specially for a child:eek:

At the outset let me say I have no connection with the Thurso Panto.
Now I am amazed that anyone could consider the pricesses excessive. The price, for the entertainment provide and the effort put in by people at their own expense in cost, time and energy is great value. The cost to put ona Panto is huge and those who do so are not in it for ant profit.

Ash
19-Nov-07, 16:48
its my opinion, i have been to pantos which have been cheaper, and wanted to go with the family but it seems abit overpriced for me

thats all

unicorn
19-Nov-07, 18:41
I have been taking our daughter every year since she was 2 and every year I come out wanting to go again and she has always loved it. I think the prices are extremely reasonable and it is well worth paying for the entertainment value.

changilass
19-Nov-07, 18:44
Even someone on the social should be able to afford the prices, they aint that high, I will be off tomorrow to buy our tickets for the matinee if there are any still available.

It seems to be a case of folks wanting sumat for nowt.

unicorn
19-Nov-07, 18:47
That seems to be the way all over these days changi. It is such a small amount to spend for a few hours when you truly completely forget the stress of life :lol: Fantastic therapy.:D

NickInTheNorth
19-Nov-07, 19:01
Even someone on the social should be able to afford the prices, they aint that high, I will be off tomorrow to buy our tickets for the matinee if there are any still available.

let us assume an "average" family - 2 adults 2 kids. Benefits would be around £170 per week. After food say £60, heat and light £30 clothes, insurance, tv licence, phone, transport etc it don't exactly leave a fortune for a family trip to the panto - £24.

I don't see anyone wanting summat for nowt, but rather someone pointing out that on a low income or benefits it is not very easily affordable.

unicorn
19-Nov-07, 19:06
If you want to do something bad enough you make a few cut backs eg only 1 parent go with the children. It is only once a year and nobody forces people to go to it. To me the panto is part of the magic of christmas. I have easily gone without a christmas present from hubby and he has done without one from me in the days where we couldn't really afford it, because we prefered to watch the enjoyment our daughter got from the panto and the enjoyment we got from it.

changilass
19-Nov-07, 19:12
Are the £5 tickets the consecsions???? If so then if only 1 parent goes it would only be £15, not much for the delight on the kids faces.

NickInTheNorth
19-Nov-07, 19:12
If you want to do something bad enough you make a few cut backs eg only 1 parent go with the children. It is only once a year and nobody forces people to go to it. To me the panto is part of the magic of christmas. I have easily gone without a christmas present from hubby and he has done without one from me in the days where we couldn't really afford it, because we prefered to watch the enjoyment our daughter got from the panto and the enjoyment we got from it.

which is entirely your prerogative. I just don't feel it is entirely fair for folk to be posting critical comments of other peoples judgement regarding the affordability or otherwise of a rather peripheral activity.

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts on the matter, and should not be judged publicly as wanting summat for nowt for their trouble.

changilass
19-Nov-07, 19:15
which is entirely your prerogative. I just don't feel it is entirely fair for folk to be posting critical comments of other peoples judgement regarding the affordability or otherwise of a rather peripheral activity.

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts on the matter, and should not be judged publicly as wanting summat for nowt for their trouble.

Turn this round and should the Thurso players be publicly criticised for their (imho) fair pricing structure. As you say anyone is entitled to their thoughts, but if you put then publicly then they are open to judgement.

unicorn
19-Nov-07, 19:15
So in your opinion how much should the tickets be?

NickInTheNorth
19-Nov-07, 19:20
£7 and £5 seems pretty fair to me.

I however judge that at that price my family will not be going as we cannot afford to do so (at least not without forgoing other things we would prefer to spend the money on).

That is my judgement.

Anyone else that states they cannot afford should not have their judgement questioned as has been done on this thread.

changilass
19-Nov-07, 19:26

This was the comment posted, it directly refers to the cost rather than being able to afford it or not.

NickInTheNorth
19-Nov-07, 19:31

its my opinion, i have been to pantos which have been cheaper, and wanted to go with the family but it seems abit overpriced for me

thats all

Are the £5 tickets the consecsions???? If so then if only 1 parent goes it would only be £15, not much for the delight on the kids faces.

This was the comment posted, it directly refers to the cost rather than being able to afford it or not.

Selective quoting is a poor way to prove any point.

Given the second quote above, and your sniping about folk on benefits, I thought I would address you ill thought out comments about folks on benefits.

changilass
19-Nov-07, 19:34
At no point have I sniped about folks on benefit, have been there myself in the past and its hard, but I do think its affordable, if you want it to be, everyone has their priorities.

NickInTheNorth
19-Nov-07, 19:37

...should be able...

to me is making judgements that no-one but the individual concerned can possibly make.

Ash
19-Nov-07, 19:44
what cant you understand, i wanted to take my wee one to something different, but because its abit more expensive than me and other half thought then we changed our minds, mainly because i wasnt sure if she would sit throught it all, if it was a few pounds each then fair enough but nearly £20 for us to do something that she make get bored with after 15mins then no, im sorry i cant afford to throw that away

changilass
19-Nov-07, 19:44
LOL that comment was based on the fact that the first time I went to the panto was at Bradford Alhambra to watch Dick Wittington the year after my parents split and mum was on benefits at the time, an experience never forgotten.

changilass
19-Nov-07, 19:51
Sorry if my comments upset anyone on benefits, that was not my aim

Moby
19-Nov-07, 23:20
what cant you understand, i wanted to take my wee one to something different, but because its abit more expensive than me and other half thought then we changed our minds, mainly because i wasnt sure if she would sit throught it all, if it was a few pounds each then fair enough but nearly £20 for us to do something that she make get bored with after 15mins then no, im sorry i cant afford to throw that away

I understand where you're coming from Ash - you just never know how they are going to react. I will say that we took our middle child there when she was 3 yrs old - she was so amazed and delighted with all the "goings on" around her, the boooing the hissing the cheering, that it was the first time EVER that she has sat still for more than 5 minutes. She loved it and it was a fantastic day out. Will go like a shot myself, the kids love it!!!

As for price - the Players are unpaid actors, helpers, musicians and technicals. They put months upon months of preparation and rehearsal into this. Make their own costumes, design and create their own sets. It all costs money. I think £5 for a child is a small price to pay to support them and have fantastic entertainment for the kids..(and adults!!)

Big G
19-Nov-07, 23:34
Well we are going to the panto on Inverness this year. It's Peter Pan and i am looking forward to it - supposedly they are making Inverness 'Peter Pan city' with an ice rink outside the eastgate centre and all sorts. Should be fun and very christmassy!:D

Prices for our 2 family tickets are £92 thats £11.50 per person (4 adults and 4 kids) but i think £92's a great price for 8 people and for all the effort put into the panto!

ks
20-Nov-07, 01:28

I took my daughter last year when she was 2 and she was delighted until the fireworks went off so had to go home at the interval, hopefully she won't be as scared this year!